• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
Sign in to follow this  
Jakeismydog2

Odd Behavior - Blood Sugar?

Jakeismydog2

So on opening day my dog Ox crashed in our second field of the day. It was probably 3 hours in to the hunting. I had to carry him out of the field. I gave him a couple oatmeal cream pies and he was as good as new a bit later. I assume this is a blood sugar issue. The next day i tried to give him an OCP in the morning before the hunt. Nope he would not eat it. Then throughout the day I tried to give him a bit of OCP. Nope he would not eat it. He showed no signs of slowing down at all the second day. Now for the really weird part. When he crashed in the field we assumed he was on point. We were currently in an uncut milo field. When we walked up I instantly new he was not right. He had his tail between his legs like he had just got caught stealing food out of the trash can. He was shivering. But the weird thing was he was digging in the soil. He did not have enough energy to dig fast but he was digging. Then as we looked around you could see he had tried to dig down the milo row about 10 feet. I have no idea why he would try to dig in the dirt at that moment. Anybody else got an idea?

Harry

Seizure????

Dogwood

What breed and age?

Jakeismydog2

6 year old Setter

Dogwood

Could be many different things given the history and age.  Obviously if it persists you'll need to get it checked out. You might try omitting his morning feeding on hunt days.

Jakeismydog2

He only gets fed at night.

Ruffs.N.Brooks

Sounds scary.  I'm a Type 1 diabetic and know the low blood sugar feeling all too well.  I'd have him checked for hypoglycemia.  Maybe his digging was a burrowing instinct since he wasn't feeling right?  No clue. 

tut

What were the temps that day and was he good and hydrated? 

PS.  had my Sophie crash twice last year.  Both times she seemed a tad dis-oriented and came back to me and put herself at heel and then started wimpering and laid down with back legs twitching.  Ten minutes later she seemed fine, but after the event we just walked back to the truck and called it a day.  Had bloodwork done twice and they found nothing.  Even brought her within a few minutes after I really had her lathered up to the vet for bloodwork and they found nothing.   

Anyway,  I make sure she is good and hydrated and force her to take breaks.  She has also learned to pace herself (finally) a bit.  I give her some of the old Purina Power bars after a hunt or even a bit of raw honey.  Has not happened this year.  She is 2.5 years old.  

WyomingArt

I have a dog with seizure disorder after 5-7 minutes of running. She  has that tail down, disoriented behavior,  but more often total collapse, un  responsive,  followed by disoriented, wobbly, can't get legs coordinated behavior.

I hope you can get a handle on your dog's situation. Mine retired early to house pet duty.

Jakeismydog2
7 hours ago, tut said:

PS.  had my Sophie crash twice last year.  Both times she seemed a tad dis-oriented and came back to me and put herself at heel and then started wimpering and laid down with back legs twitching.  Ten minutes later she seemed fine, but after the event we just walked back to the truck and called it a day.  Had bloodwork done twice and they found nothing.  Even brought her within a few minutes after I really had her lathered up to the vet for bloodwork and they found nothing.   

Anyway,  I make sure she is good and hydrated and force her to take breaks.  She has also learned to pace herself (finally) a bit.  I give her some of the old Purina Power bars after a hunt or even a bit of raw honey.  Has not happened this year.  She is 2.5 years old.  

He was well hydrated. It was 45 degrees and misting.

tut
7 hours ago, Jakeismydog2 said:

He was well hydrated. It was 45 degrees and misting.

No clue then.   I think Sophies were ultimately what horse trainers used to call "tying up".  Yours is certainly different.

Dogwood

Could be a sugar issue.  Or a seizure.  Or hormonal.  Or an arrhythmia.  Or an electrolyte imbalance.  The symptoms alone will never lead to a diagnosis and correction of the problem.

Mike Connally

I’ve had the exact same thing happen with my small setter, Becky. Even the mistaken for pointing episode. 

My vet’s best guess was hypoglycemia. 

She fine, running strong, and then just crashes. 

I restrict her to two hour hunts. And I won’t run her in temps over 55. 

Mike Connally
On 11/16/2017 at 2:17 PM, tut said:

PS.  had my Sophie crash twice last year. 

Has not happened this year.  She is 2.5 years old.  

Well, you can’t say that anymore. 

How is she today? 

tut
2 hours ago, Mike Connally said:

Well, you can’t say that anymore. 

How is she today? 

She is fine today it seems.  Hopefully a one off associated with perhaps wearing dog boots and exerting more energy then normal which caused the  hypoglycemia to rear its ugly head.