• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
Fur and Feathers

Ithick SKB model 100

Fur and Feathers

Let me start off by saying we don't see many decent quality double guns in our local gun shops. One place has an SKB 100 20 gauge on the rack. I have been interested in one of these for quite some time. The bores and finish on the barrels seems to be near 100%. The stock has been cut shorter and has a pachmyr pad. It also has  some hair line cracks on one side at the sharp points where the receiver meets the stock, and 1 small ding. I have a shorter lop but it is still cut a bit too short. I know this can be dealt with by another recoil pad, shimming etc. Will the hair line cracks pose a future problem, and can they be easily cured? Is this gun worth $750.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave Quindt

I picked up the same gun with an uncut, uncracked stock from Cabelas earlier this year for $900. If you like the feel of the gun, they are pretty commonly available without the warts of this gun. 

At ~$650 I’d be interested but not at $750 with the problems still needing to be solved for. 

JMO,

Dave

3crosses

I would point out the defects and offer 650.00. If they wouldn't take that then I would walk.

I found a model 600 o/u a couple of years ago for 600.00 No cracks, but, the stock had been cut. My daughter really loves it.

Dakota Dogman

Just me but their o/u's are not nearly as interesting to me as their sxs's.  

A 20 skb 100 for $750 is pretty good.  The short length is perfect for kids starting out.  Maybe the cracks will develop into something more, but none of my 3 have.  The warts are up to you how much they take off of its value to me.

God Bless, 

Fur and Feathers

I was looking at trading a couple other lower grade shotguns that are of no value or use to me. 1was a turkey gun that I have replaced, the other a gun that I won at a banquet. He is giving me fair $ on the guns, but won't budge on the price of the SKB. We were $100 apart when I left. I might be just a bit stubborn.

tut

Taking the stock off and repairing the cracks with acraglas will solve that problem.  The through bolt is either loose or way too tight (probably loose).  Far as being a good deal who knows.  Sometimes you can find old SKB SXS buttstocks on Ebay for little money in the same gauge for short money.  What is the current LOP?  Should be a bit more then 14".  

Fur and Feathers
51 minutes ago, tut said:

Taking the stock off and repairing the cracks with acraglas will solve that problem.  The through bolt is either loose or way too tight (probably loose).  Far as being a good deal who knows.  Sometimes you can find old SKB SXS buttstocks on Ebay for little money in the same gauge for short money.  What is the current LOP?  Should be a bit more then 14".  

13 with a recoil pad

tut
52 minutes ago, Fur and Feathers said:

13 with a recoil pad

Sounds lot like this gun:  http://www.gunbroker.com/item/717413631

PS.  I'd keep looking. That's too short for an adult to use IMO. 

gunsrus

Yup , too short

Larry Brown

The Ithaca SKB 100 is, IMO, the best value on the used sxs market.  On that one, however, I'd be more concerned with the short LOP--seeing it already has a pad--than with the cracks.  They're often just cosmetic and are a pretty easy fix.

OldSarge

Isn’t there a guy in Canada who has all the Ithaca SKB parts? I got a butt plate from him once. He may have a stock, if anyone remembers his name.

Fur and Feathers

Thanks for the replies. I know its too short, I am on the fence if the excellent condition of the rest of the gun is worth messing around with the stock issues. I have seen them on gunbroker selling for more with more issues, and have seen some at the other end. Maybe just me being untrusting....but I am very hesitant to buy a used gun that I haven't put my hands on first.  Anyone aware of a stock maker producing stocks for these guns?

406dn

I would think you could find a stock for one at a price. I suspect that price would be more than the gun would be worth. If it was me, I'd keep looking. Somewhere out there, there is one without the stock issues.

25/06

https://www.skbshotguns.com/about-skb/faq/

The above link is for the SKB supplier in Nebraska.

He is selling a different gun under the same name but his website has parts for "Japanese" SKB'S

Under the FAQ the website said they still have a bunch of wood.

Buyers market on guns now so be choosy

"Big John" who frequents this site fixed cracks and refinished my SKB 100 12ga a couple of years ago for very reasonable price

The issue with these guns stock is that the area where the tang comes in contact with wood was cut a bit deep. The gun with this condition recoils on the shoulders and cracks

the wood.

It is highly recommended to acra- gel this area if you have cracks or not.

My 12ga is pretty light and handy.... I have seen some very light 20ga. and some 20ga. that weighed more than my 12ga. I would want a 3 day inspection or buy face to face.