Clueless1

Autumn Olive

Clueless1

In many areas around me autumn olive is taking over.  To the point of creating 10's of acres of monoculture.  It is beginning to be found all along roadways, gamelands etc.  I have read that songbirds like the berries and I have seen deer utilizing the thickets as well.  Seems like wildlife managers don't mind it and foresters hate it.

Question for experienced grouse people though, do grouse like Autumn Olive?  When I know there are stands of this stuff should I spend time there or move on quickly?

troutchops

I go out of my way looking for it. AO=Grouse

However, in Michigan it's considered an invasive species.

Clueless1

Thank you.  I am doing my part in creating grouse habitat in west central pa then. :D

It is considered invasive here too, but there really isn't much we can do to stop it.  I'm not planting it, but it's already there. 

bill

They love it hunted a place in UP one time that was a old farm over grow with autumn olives no good grouse cover around for couple miles late in evenings u could hunt it with good close dog it was amazing the grouse u could flush out of that thicket. Sadly down south on USFS lands they have been trying to kill the autunm olives out Privit thickets to

mister grouse

Enormous amounts of autumn olive  were used in surface mining reclamation  all over southern appalachia coal country in last quarter of the last century.   It can age out after a few decades, but when it "hits" (which is not every year) and creates loads of berries in those years when  the plants are bearing heavily, well, its the best grouse food and cover in the woods IMO.  Probably the most significant food significant factor in creating  the large numbers of ruff grouse that were found  in reclaimed areas of coal country from 70s through 90s.  Biologists seem to  hate it because it can be "invasive" but grouse love it.  Incredibly good anti-avain-predator overhead cover  as well. 

dogrunner

Very invasive and now the Mi  dnr is paying to get rid of it.  I think the grouse like it but they are hard to kill around that stuff because it is usually planted in some type of rows and they just run and flush out too far. I killed some around my place because otherwise it spreads out of control. 

vabirddog

USFS used it for plantings on log decks up into the 90s.  It was a great use of the plant as eventually the canopy closes and it declines.  However in farm country it is a scourge.  There are still a few plants left in the mts but bear love it too and strip and break the whole plant when it produces.