Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Brad Eden

      WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

      It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
steveziv

Good News & Bad News (WC)

Recommended Posts

steveziv

Good news; looks like a few woodcock have made it to MD's eastern shore.  Three flushes today, not great but better than the last couple years.

 

Bad news; Tucker blew right by this WC.

 

Good news; when I brought him in to find the bird he ran by the bird, spun around like he'd hit the end of a leash and "pointed dead".

 

(Click the image to find Mr. Doodle)

 

IOVPncB.jpg

 

Bad news; Tucker ran down a grassy trail between covers, about 30-40 yards from me.  When I followed a BIG hen WC erupted from the trail. 

How did he not smell her?  How did she not flush for him?  She flew low, no shot, I'd rather not shoot the females anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Don Steese

Glad to hear the doodles have started to trickle in!  None in my PA covers today! I love it down there! This may be the first year in quite a few that I miss the January season! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vabirddog

Saw 1 in va today. (WBR)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dogrunner

I read an article about radio collard quail, dogs only found 50% of the birds, they don't find everything in there nose radius. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Don Steese

I was gonna say that if our dogs found them all there wouldn't be any left.........then I thought about my shooting??? :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Grifish

I’m pretty impressed that you can sex a woodcock on the wing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
steveziv

Once in a while you see one that's noticeably larger in mass and wingspan.  My assumption is that's a female.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WI Outdoor Nut
7 hours ago, Don Steese said:

I was gonna say that if our dogs found them all there wouldn't be any left.........then I thought about my shooting??? :(

Heck - be a bird planter in a field trial and you will see all the birds that are missed by "national championship" caliber dogs.  And these are stinky pen raised birds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spin
On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 8:23 PM, steveziv said:

Good news; looks like a few woodcock have made it to MD's eastern shore.  Three flushes today, not great but better than the last couple years.

 

Bad news; Tucker blew right by this WC.

 

Good news; when I brought him in to find the bird he ran by the bird, spun around like he'd hit the end of a leash and "pointed dead".

 

(Click the image to find Mr. Doodle)

 

IOVPncB.jpg

 

Bad news; Tucker ran down a grassy trail between covers, about 30-40 yards from me.  When I followed a BIG hen WC erupted from the trail. 

How did he not smell her?  How did she not flush for him?  She flew low, no shot, I'd rather not shoot the females anyway.

 

Just to satisfy my curiosity, could you try running Tucker on a pheasant or two or a quail or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spin
On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 5:51 AM, dogrunner said:

I read an article about radio collard quail, dogs only found 50% of the birds, they don't find everything in there nose radius. 

Interesting! my understanding is that there are trial dogs that are "covey specialists", dogs that prioritize finding and pointing coveys over single birds. Perhaps that behavior quirk might be at play there. I'm quite positive that dogs miss birds from time to time purposely or otherwise. Perhaps that might be feeding that 50% figure which seems a bit high to me.

     Dogs can and will get tired, distracted, bored and start blinking birds on occasion and for more than one reason. Even the best of them may do this on rare occasions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dogrunner
17 hours ago, Spin said:

Interesting! my understanding is that there are trial dogs that are "covey specialists", dogs that prioritize finding and pointing coveys over single birds. Perhaps that behavior quirk might be at play there. I'm quite positive that dogs miss birds from time to time purposely or otherwise. Perhaps that might be feeding that 50% figure which seems a bit high to me.

     Dogs can and will get tired, distracted, bored and start blinking birds on occasion and for more than one reason. Even the best of them may do this on rare occasions. 

Maybe so but every year when I read the Ames  trial the  some of the best dogs in the country  go bird-less or have unproductive s  I believe the study. Birds aren't stupid and know how to escape and evade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×