FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Grifish

A bit of sad news about a great life.

Grifish

In an open letter that I believe went out to the fly fishing industry, Lefty Kreh is backing away from fishing and public life.  He thanked everyone who was a part of his life.  It seems that he has congestive heart failure. Best of luck to him, I hope his pain is minimal. Just a wonderful man.

PartridgeCartridge

He's a wonderful person. I had several private distance casting lessons from him in Islamorada. He his funny and down to earth.

A true icon in the sport.

Sage Hen

I went to a casting clinic with him in SLC what a great guy and a fine teacher. 

DTB

He truly is an icon. I can only imagine how many new anglers he helped on their journey.

oldbird

He watched me cast at a clinic once and remarked that I "looked like a farmer throwing hay"! Down to earth guy and a great teacher.

Natty Bumpo

I saw his show in upstate New York (Westchester ?) one time. He cast an entire fly line with his bare hands and threw that line just beautiful, perfect loop and all. Terrific showman.

MSchafer

My son and I spent an afternoon shooting BB guns at those big old aspirins after hearing Lefty talk about it in a podcast a few years ago, we hit a few but laughed like hell. 

bmeador

Sad.  He is a great guy!

Flyline

My father and Lefty were great friends and I met him many times. You won't find a nicer person. 

Cooter Brown
On 11/20/2017 at 12:26 PM, oldbird said:

He watched me cast at a clinic once and remarked that I "looked like a farmer throwing hay"! Down to earth guy and a great teacher.

He had another line I saw him use--"Have you ever looked at your back cast?  No?  Hell, I don't blame you!"

He was one of the best fly casters ever, but he's also the guy that said, "A man who goes on a trout fishing trip and doesn't take a spinning rod is a fool."

It can't be overstated what a positive influence he's been.

5 hours ago, Flyline said:

My father and Lefty were great friends and I met him many times. You won't find a nicer person. 

You're a lucky man, and that's the impression I always got about Lefty.

It's sad to hear about Lefty's situation now, but he did not get cheated and lived a heck of a life.

Okhotnik

I met lefty a few times and took casting lessons from him,

Pleasure of fishing the susquehanah with him and bob clouser one afternoon

Could not meet a nicer guy

salmontogue

Lefty and Mike Martinek, a well known professional fly tyer, visited me at our Lake Camp about a dozen years past.  He commented that I was a pretty good flycaster for a Mainer.  I have never quite figured out if that was a jab or a compliment but it surely got me laughing.  He was a consummate gentleman possessing a great sense of humor and enormous kindness.  He was an expert but more humble than most.  We need more like him.

Perk

strato-caster

While talking to Lefty at the Bob Marriott's Fly fishing show that used to held the weekend prior to Thanksgiving every year, he was waiting behind the speaker's platform for his introduction as the next speaker. Capt. Bill Matthews had his saltwater guide boat parked behind the stage and had coned off the area to keep the kids off of the boat. Over time, the once straight line of evenly spaced cones became staggered and the space between them uneven. Lefty, the consummate caster, had a rod in his hand as usual and felt compelled to throw slack mends around three and four cones at a time at varying distances.

I would call BS on anyone who told such a tale had I not witnessed it over and over myself. Crazy good caster and the inspiration for me learning to throw casts in excess of 120 feet with standard WF lines all the way from a 5 to 12 wt.. His story about hooking a snook lying under a mangrove at great distance so it wouldn't spook (to the disbelief of another well known fly angler who said it couldn't be done) always left me with the impression that there is sometimes a reason to be able to cast great distances, especially when there is a headwind.  That lesson has been indelibly etched in my mind and has been useful when fishing in the trade winds for the O'io (bonefish) in Hawaii.

Sorry to hear that Lefty is having to slow down well into his 90s. He has always been ageless and without peer in my book. He is most certainly one of a kind. It is my hope that he will still regularly post on danblanton.com, still the best forum for fly fishing on the world wide web.

Spin

Sad News indeed, Lefty is truly a fly fishing icon. He's also a 'Salt of the Earth' kind of guy and seems like one who is kind but still

honest and direct,  Sample of Lefty's style of homespun wisdom concerning a beginner blowing the bank acct. on a first fly rod.

"If you can't cast with a $120.00 rod you sure as Hell aren't going to be able to with a $1,200.00 one."

Rest up Lefty, In due time you'll have your hands full just trying to teach some of the Grabowski's from UJ. I'll be the guy sitting back on the bank

laughing a bit from time to time.

WMassGriff

My wife doesn't fish but she loved to attend his presentations up at LLBean. A real class act!