FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
E.Young

Coat Thinning, Raw Spot?

E.Young

My 15 month old setter's coat suddenly seems to be thinning. 

Her belly and chest used to be pretty full of feathers, but over the last couple of weeks, I can suddenly see down to the skin. The coat on her back and sides seems to have thinned as well, but maybe not. She's never had an thick or long coat, but this is definitely less than she had recently. 

She's also gotten a raw spot on her side, looks like she has been itching at it.

No changes in food or medications, etc. Eats Pro Plan Savor and has had a Seresto collar on since mid-September. 

Any thoughts?

unnamed-1.jpg

unnamed.jpg

DocE

If it's not an insect pest problem, then I would have a Thyroid panel done.

E.Young

What kind of insects/pests could I be looking at? Never found a flea, but I'm sure there are many more.

Dogwood

Allergies

Bullwinkle

Diabetes?

E.Young

On closer examination, it could be some kind of mite. The hairloss spot looks much more like she chewed/licked it off rather than alopecia. It also has some thin, small, white flakey dry skin scab-kinda things, along with some tiny actual scabs that could be bites or where she's itched it raw. 

I washed her good, gave her a fresh Vectra 3D dose (she was two weeks past due), and rubbed a bit of Nu-Stock on her raw spot. 

E.Young

Just found this photo from two months ago, fairly notable hairloss. 

20170917_170950.jpg

CarsonMc

Having similar issue with our 15 month old SM. Have switched up food, bedding, etc. prescription shampoos, been all around the barn chasing the culprit. Currently on a topical vet prescribed called Dermoscent. Supposed to support skin barrier and hydrate as well. Have yet to allergy test. Vet is suggesting Cytopoint as a next step to investigate if the dermoscent does not help. Keep us posted on what you find out.

E.Young

I swapped food up and also started giving her a dose of fish oil. With that, plus the Nu-Stock, the raw spot is less red and looks like it is regrowing hair. On her undercarriage, it is too soon to tell. Anecdotally, my wife says she's itching less, though I never saw her appreciably itching.