topdog1961

The fun isn't over when you pull the trigger.

topdog1961
2 hours ago, dogrunner said:

Nice buck. The shot looks decent,  did it hit the shoulder on the other side?  Did you find the broadhead?  If not watch out when your cutting it up. 

It was a lot better shot than he thought. G5 striker blew through one shoulder blade and wedged in the other, broke the skin but didn't come out. That's pretty good penetration on a buck that field dressed 191. I don't think a mechanical would have taken this deer with that hit. I've posted about spitfires not penetrating the shoulder of big deer for me. But my son shot his buck this week with a leftover spitfire. He hit it in the chest and it jellied up the whole side of it. It only went 40 yards and I'm pcoressing it now. 

JWP58

I've got to ask, why drag a deer? Especially if you're going a ways? Why not quarter it (ie cut it up), put it in a pack, and walk out?

Gutless method+Sharp knife+game bags+decent pack=win

Brad Eden
30 minutes ago, JWP58 said:

I've got to ask, why drag a deer? Especially if you're going a ways? Why not quarter it (ie cut it up), put it in a pack, and walk out?

Gutless method+Sharp knife+game bags+decent pack=win

In Maine it's just plain tradition to drag them out whole and hang for weight.  Just is, and that goes for Moose and bear too. Out West my undertanding is quartering and taking out in pieces is the standard procedure.

topdog1961
8 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Thats hunting with any weapon. If unacceptable then a person should simply stop hunting. IMO.

Well said Brad. I was hesitant to start this post in case things didn't end up the way they did. I feared a lot of "woulda shoulda coulda". But no one is harder on me if I loose a deer than myself. The fact is, even the most skilled and ethical hunter sometimes looses a deer. There are just to many variables involved. 

OldSarge

I shoot G5 Striker broadheads too. Great head imo. Glad you found the deer. My dad taught me that when in doubt, back out. Meaning if you are not sure of the hit, like possible liver / paunch, don’t push the deer. It’s either dead or it ain’t. If it is dead he isn’t going anywhere but if he is still kicking he can run a long way on fumes. Let him stiffen up and find him in the morning. 

Tim Frazier

Is that an Excalibur?  I have one that I had bought for my dad before his passing.  Nice crossbows.

topdog1961
21 hours ago, Tim Frazier said:

Is that an Excalibur?  I have one that I had bought for my dad before his passing.  Nice crossbows.

I believe it's some sort of Excaliber knock off. This great nephew is living the dream. He has a good wife, two great kids, and nice big new home in the country. But he is at the stage of life where he is working his arse off to pay for the dream. He pinches his pennies pretty tight so I don't think it's an Excaliber, unless he found some great Craigslist deal.  

Birdcountry70

Nice buck.  Glad the recovery went well.  I too want to see them drop within sight. Thoughts of losing a hit deer have my stomach doing flips while I blood track them. 

Treerooster

I enjoy a good track. Sure I'd rather see them drop but that's not what always happens. Tracking is a skill and if you are decent at it I think it just makes you a better all around hunter.

I've been on a few tough trackings. They are like a good riddle or mystery, only the stakes are real and the outcome has a consequence.

At night I use a Coleman lantern with aluminum foil on half the glass. The hiss of the lantern on a quiet night just puts me into a deep focus. It's amazing the things you see while crawling around in the woods on your knees noticing every little thing. I once found a shed spike antler that was driven into the ground. The pedicle was all that was visible.

Tracking a gut shot deer at night I had lost the trail. I kept searching a larger and larger area off last blood. 20 yards from last blood, and not in the direction the deer had been heading, I found a spot of blood, no bigger than a period on a piece paper, on a leaf. I felt like Sherlock. 20 yards in a semi circle is a LONG ways in the dark. That spot eventually led me to the deer...and just before it started to rain. About 5 1/2 hours of tracking in all.

I don't TRY to do stuff like that, but like Brad stated...its fun, exciting, nerve wracking, and a lot of tension all wrapped up together. It's exhilarating to be involved in. 

As far as the gutting and dragging or packing (until just recently you had to bring in deer whole to the check station in Wis), well that's just part of the hunt for me. 

Glad you guys found the deer. A great memory made.

hobbes

Glad he found the buck.  Its a good looking buck.

As far as arrow penetration goes, 12" of penetration on a whitetail ( any whitetail) is double lung unless a steeply quartering shot.  That may not give an exit hole that can be really helpful for trailing, especially from a treestand, but its two lungs none the less if in chest cavity.  Their chest cavity just isnt very wide.

dogrunner

Glad you guys like how the G5 performs.  They are made here not to far from me. Just a small place with not very many employees but it sounds like good quality. 

B42A994A-647B-46B0-829E-649100C10DC9.jpeg

379CB1AA-7BC9-4F3E-8FEA-2F96ABEAB557.jpeg

BFB22B34-2581-4EA2-B99A-038C065072BB.jpeg

Michael Stenstrom

I like a good blood trail.  I mean I love it when they fall in sight, but I do like trying to piece it all together.  Part of the skill set of a well rounded woodsman.  And in Maine we are legally obligated to take the deer out whole and check it whole. We can quarter moose, but have to bring out deer whole.

topdog1961
On November 17, 2017 at 10:10 PM, Tim Frazier said:

I sold my nephew short. I was in his garage over the weekend and got a good look at his Xbow. It is an Excaliber, an Axiom. About a 305 fps bow.  That and the G5s did a nice job on this big buck. 

btomlin

I shot this one a few years ago with a G5 striker.   He was walking 3yrds from the base of my tree when I shot him.  Arrow went in, come out, and lodged in the actual bone of his leg.  He was down inside of 40 yrds.   I could have pulled it out and installed new blades, but cut the section of bone out and left it(too which, I now have lost the bone piece).  I had been a muzzy user, but the G5 bloodtrails were always better as I think their blades were so much sharper.  They really seemed to “core” a hole on way in too.   IMO, there is no better rep blade broadhead, but I haven't paid attention to archery tackle for a couple seasons.

8QzGXaj.jpg