adk angler

Whoa Post Questions

adk angler

Just wondering if anyone has a good description or even a video showing the whoa post. I have been working with my dog trying to steady her up. We have been working out in the yard with a check cord around the flank and she has been doing ok. I understand the concept of the whoa post but just not how to set it up. I know that there is a rope tied to a post which then connects around the flank and another that run off the collar to the front to immobilize the dog. However, thats about all I know bout it. Any help or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.....Thank you!

Up North

I use a pinch collar, and walk the dog in all directions from the post using a leash on the dogs regular collar. Time saying woe as the pinch collar tightens, but you continue for a couple more steps. Stand in front and pull lightly on the leash saying woe softly a couple times then go to it and praise it. The dog will soon learn the pinch is coming as it gets cose to the end of the rope, but use the leash to keep it healing next to you till you reach the end and say woe. I only do it a half dozen times a day , once the dog is doing well I walk in circles around it saying woe if it comes to you pick it up set it down where it was and pull lightly on the leash to pinch saying woe again. 

When the dog has it down I add a shock collar to the neck also, and as you walk to the end of the rope give a low level stimulation as the pinch occurres and you say woe. After a few days say woe and shock befor the end of the rope.

When you think the dog is ready try healing the dog around the yard with only the shock collar, and say woe/shock and drop the leash take a few steps. I give the cop stop gesture with my hand, and make it stay for a bit then paise for a good job. As the dog becomes more confident walk around it at farther distances but only say woe once, if it comes to you pick it up and set it back where it was again and say woe once.    

Never over do anything, but try to do your routine daily, and stop on a good note then play a little fetch. I am no pro, but this is what I do and it seems to work well. Good luck.  Nick

adk angler

Thanks for the good description and advice Nick. Think I am going to work on this in the next few weeks.

dogrunner

Google up whoa post some decent videos will be found. 

Cooter Brown

The Smiths have changed their method from the pinch collar to a hitch around the flank.  This is what I've done with my last dog and am about to start with the puppy.

It works like a charm.  I never had great success with the pinch collar--I could not get the leather type to really pinch the way it needed to.  The flank hitch just flat works.

Here's the article from the Smith's site:

http://www.huntsmith.com/article.php?id=15

Here's Steve Snell's take on it:

http://www.stevesnell.com/the-whoa-post

Up North
15 hours ago, Cooter Brown said:

The Smiths have changed their method from the pinch collar to a hitch around the flank.  This is what I've done with my last dog and am about to start with the puppy.

It works like a charm.  I never had great success with the pinch collar--I could not get the leather type to really pinch the way it needed to.  The flank hitch just flat works.

Here's the article from the Smith's site:

http://www.huntsmith.com/article.php?id=15

Here's Steve Snell's take on it:

http://www.stevesnell.com/the-whoa-post

I guess I didn't realize they changed their method. My pinch collar is all metal, it looks like a choke collar with spikes on it. I'll have to try the hitch around the flank next time. When I move to the shock collar there gets to be alot on the neck.

Cooter Brown
16 minutes ago, Up North said:

I guess I didn't realize they changed their method. My pinch collar is all metal, it looks like a choke collar with spikes on it. I'll have to try the hitch around the flank next time. When I move to the shock collar there gets to be alot on the neck.

I've changed over to the metal prong/spike type collar too, but I use it for training "heel".  It works great for that.  I LOATHE the regular choke type collars but the prong collars work well and don't hurt the dog.

Give the flank hitch a try.  I think you'll really like it.  The method makes the timing of the pressure much easier, at least to me.

I started with the pup last week and he went nuts at first, raising all sorts of hell and acting like I was torturing him, screaming, biting at the hitch, flopping around like a carp dragged up on the bank.  I was afraid the neighbors were going to call PETA.

After a bit of drama he gave in, stood up and took the pressure off himself--that was a major turning point.  He started to figure it out.

I've found that breaking a dog solid on "whoa" has benefits in all areas.  Once you can make a dog stop at will it seems it decides, "Damn, this sumbitch is serious about this stuff" and takes all commands more seriously.

Timn

I use the flank hitch also, some dogs take long than others. When you have to drag them to the end of the rope, then I use a ecollar around  the flank and walk them on a lead. Substitute the ecollar for the pinch on the flank. Sometimes I use a long lead on the flank after the whoa post and I can step on the long lead.