• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
Wants to Retire

Wrymouth?

Wants to Retire

Vet said dogs jaw is jacked. But he can't be positive because he can't do the required x-ray. 

Called a different vet. It will be nearly $300 for the office visit, x-ray, diagnosis. Then more for the treatment. 

Damn the luck. Anyone ever dealt with this before?

Dogwood

What's wrymouth anyway?

dogrunner
23 minutes ago, Dogwood said:

What's wrymouth anyway?

Jaw issue, looks like a real bad bite because the jaw grew crooked. 

Wants to Retire

I guess it's also called wry bite. Vet said it would eventually cause severe arthritis in the jaw till the dog couldn't eat and would need to be out down. Gave the pup a live span of 3-5 years. 

bobman

IF it can be corrected I would spend the money, you can always earn more money, every dog deserves a good life

Wants to Retire

My vet said it can't be corrected. I'm going to keep him and we will do the best we can the longest we can.

dogrunner

Sorry to hear that, good luck with the time you have with him. 

birdhuntervet

I think that some bird dog owners and many SA Veterinarians (I am a Bovine practitioner which means that I pretty much limit my practice to cattle though I graduated from Veterinary School - in 1988 - where’d the time go?) get a little in the weeds trying to tie appearance with performance, quality of life etc. one of the toughest and Long lived bird dogs I have had had a wry face. One eye was higher and bigger than the other, the maxilla bent to the right by @ 3/4 an inch at the tip of nose. He had nothing but go. Another dog, probably my best, had dysplasia of one hip and arthritis in both elbows. An amazing dog. I euthanized him at age 13. I look a lot more at desire, intelligence and work ethic in a dog than I do at it's physical attributes. In so far as the jaw, buy your self a beer, share it with your dog, and move on. If any thing, I’d investigate physical therapy, Accupuncture, laser and NSAIDS rather than a knife to help your dog deal with any TMJ issues from malocclusion. And brushing his teeth will help with tartar build up due to malocclusion. 

Brad Eden
On 11/25/2017 at 9:41 PM, Wants to Retire said:

My vet said it can't be corrected. I'm going to keep him and we will do the best we can the longest we can.

Untreatable. Thats tough. Regardless, providing medical care to our dogs for their variety of ailments is a personal decision based on a variety of factors. Nobody holds exclusive rights in loving their animals more than anyone else. 

Wants to Retire

Well he is 8 months old now and loves birds. We'll keep him and do our best. Enjoy the time we get with him. He is a little shit and that makes me like him all the more. Lol!