FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Jakeismydog2

Whats on your Christmas list?

Remo
On 11/19/2017 at 11:18 PM, Starsky said:

You probably got Kuiu gaiters.  And you're right, they are terrific in the snow and cold.

Yep, thats it.

SEPAlander
7 hours ago, steveziv said:

A new set of awesome super non-stick frying pans would be nice.  Any recommendations?

Aside from that I'd like to see some a particular family issue sorted out.

We went through a number of non-stick frying pans, from cheap ones to expensive like all-clad, eventually all have failed.  Haven't tried the ceramic ones like green pan or whatever it is called, rather switched to cast iron and am pretty particular about keeping it seasoned.  We got them from a salvage place for pretty low money.  With just enough fat in the pan, it will acts almost as well as non-stick does.  Took me awhile to learn I was cooking my eggs too hot though.  On the downside, cast iron does take a bit more work and upkeep, on the upside, they hold heat like crazy and keep an even temperature for cooking.

Edited by SEPAlander

Dave Quindt
8 hours ago, steveziv said:

A new set of awesome super non-stick frying pans would be nice.  Any recommendations?

I've had great luck with Berndes pans like this: https://www.amazon.com/Berndes-SignoCast-Classic-11-Inch-Skillet .  German made and a coating that's tough as nails if you take care of it.

If the Bernes pans are too much, here's the Wirecutters' recommendation and here's the Serious Easts recommendation.

FWIW,

Dave

aje4

I would have to agree and say.....Time/Health.  More time with the family, dogs, friends, hunting, fishing, etc..   Don't want to rush retirement but I can't wait for the free time as long as we are all healthy!

cf1193
On 11/20/2017 at 9:39 AM, salmontogue said:

My Christmas present to myself is to find several more beginners to help.

I would happily volunteer, if I lived closer!

salmontogue
1 hour ago, cf1193 said:

I would happily volunteer, if I lived closer!

Greatly appreciated.

Perk

Greg Hartman

Got more stuff than I need - don't want any more.  I'd love the have the freedom to use it and to come, go and travel as I please; along with continuing good health.

Clueless1

I'm looking at a Yeti bucket.  $40 and it does everything a free bucket does.  Not sure if I can get the lid past the wife yet though.  May have to wait until next year.

jeff88
On 11/29/2017 at 1:02 PM, salmontogue said:

Greatly appreciated.

Perk

Would it be OK if I volunteered to be a Newbie?  Pretty much what I am compared to what I read in the UJ.  

Am going to take a Newbie out for woodcock this year - he's a friend of my son who would like to try hunting.  Even though he's in his late 20's, still counts as a newbie, right?  He's going to a hunter safety course and getting a shooting lesson at a nearby range.  My son is OK with him using his 20 ga Gold SL.  If he likes it and wants to get a shotgun, should be fun helping him.  

Don Steese

I just bought myself a lovely little 16ga. What more could a fella ask for??  

dogrunner
1 minute ago, Don Steese said:

A flat of shells. 

Don Steese
2 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

A flat of shells. 

I like the way you think!!

I probably have three or four flats right now but one can't have too many.....can one??

gunsrus
5 minutes ago, Don Steese said:

I love the way this man thinks !

Marc Ret
5 minutes ago, Don Steese said:

Lots of beautiful little quail in AZ...

Don Steese
Just now, Marc Ret said:

Lots of beautiful little quail in AZ...

I don't really need LOTS. If I can find a covey or two a day I'm a happy camper!!  Once I get out there I'll be looking for an FFL holder I can have the 16 shipped to.