• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
Brad Eden

Instant burgers, meatloaf and meatballs.

Brad Eden

IMG_0547.JPG

My partner in deer hunting crime Mike Stenstrom turned me on to grinding venison with pork fatback. He gets it from a local butcher and gave me a bunch of slabs. Not really sure of the ratio, but I just threw chunks in as I did my two grinds; course and finer. I fried some "venison Steak burgers" the other night, and we just finished a meatloaf. Just straight ground venison/pork and both were delicious, with out a lot of seasoning or screwing around. Something about that little bit of pork fat really helps with the cooking and enhances the flavor. 

PartridgeCartridge

That's the way to do it. Except for the back straps and tenderloin, I grind everything else with beef or pork fat.

dogrunner

Your grinder looks better than mine. The fat helps hold it together, straight deer meat burger with no pork fat just falls apart and is not all that good. I like pork better than beef fat. Throw a egg in that burger next time. 

Coalman

I had the butcher add a bunch of maple/bacon cured pork fat into my venison burger for breakfast sausage.

Yesterday's deer hunt started with a hardy breakfast.

MAArcher
1 hour ago, dogrunner said:

Your grinder looks better than mine. The fat helps hold it together, straight deer meat burger with no pork fat just falls apart and is not all that good. I like pork better than beef fat. Throw a egg in that burger next time. 

Not at all good?  No way.  I've always ground mine straight and its great that way.  I like to open up a vac pac of venison burger brush some olive oil on it and slap the whole thing (big square)  down on a cast iron griddle on the grill, as hot as it will go.  Give it a minute, flip it and pour a bunch of Butcher Boy teriyaki on it. cut it info four pieces, flip and baste another time or two and then eat them medium rare on a hoagie roll with some horse radish sauce.  You don't need pork, just don't over cook it.  Its still venison, ground or not its best rare.

Brad Eden
2 hours ago, dogrunner said:

6 minutes ago, MAArcher said:

Not at all good?  No way.  I've always ground mine straight and its great that way.  I like to open up a vac pac of venison burger brush some olive oil on it and slap the whole thing (big square)  down on a cast iron griddle on the grill, as hot as it will go.  Give it a minute, flip it and pour a bunch of Butcher Boy teriyaki on it. cut it info four pieces, flip and baste another time or two and then eat them medium rare on a hoagie roll with some horse radish sauce.  You don't need pork, just don't over cook it.  Its still venison, ground or not its best rare.

I also like straight venison, and that includes straight burgers. I have a freezer with a load of both straight and mixed. I've started adding Pork fat to some, not to hide any taste, but because it enhances it, and adds a nice bit of fat when frying. 

DocE

IMO, most wild game doesn't have enough fat. Fat enhances the flavor of meat.

That's why I posted the "Deeee Lish" thread below.

Brad Eden

Made some meatballs with some venison pork mix. Just added some Italian bread crumbs, an egg, and a dash of s&p, garlic powder and dry Sage. Yummy. Great plain or with marinara etc.

tut

Down here in the home state of Va, most don't add any fat to their ground venison.  You can always add some 80 percent burger to the ground venison when it thaws out to add some fat.  That said, we take the ground venison and make stuff like Venison Lasagna and Chili/Spaghetti with straight venison.  I'd say those 3 recipes are what we normally go to most of the time.   PS.  I had a friend of mine who ground venison and a slab of bacon together and it made supper breakfast sausage.