FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
jeff88

Upland Boots for PA/Great Lakes/New England Geo's

jeff88

It's been well over a dozen years since I last bought a pair of upland boots, my Danner Grouse boots just bit the dust in PA.  While this is a pretty well visited topic, am looking for good boots for the geographies listed in the title only - wet areas, need a good grip on hillsides, not insulated, tall enough to wade shallow streams, light but strong structurally.   Maybe another pair of Danner's?  Are there better ideas you've found?

(Out west for chukar/huns types of areas I've used my hiking boots which are light and sturdy with good grip for hillsides & rocky areas, just not as tall.)

Paid $100 for the Danners on sale from LL Bean, am sure that number is going to go up substantially but figure the most important gear for me while chasing grouse are boots followed by gun and eye wear.

Brad Eden

Good info here if this one doesn't gain traction: 5 pages worth: Comfortable Boots Topic

I honestly think I could fill a Gear & Gadgets Sub-Forum with Boot Topics. Bunch of boot hounds we all are...

UplandHntr

My Pronghorns have been very comfortable boots. They do leak a bit after just over a year but I dont hold that against them. Im convinced Gortex is just a marketing company that doesnt make a good product but has convinced everyone they do.  Ive never seen gortex that doesn't leak. Ever.

That said, my next lightweight pair will have a rubberized toe cap too protect a little better.

brushbuster

Meindl Denali best pair of grouse hunting boots I have ever had. 

jeff88
4 hours ago, UplandHntr said:

Gortex is just a marketing company that doesnt make a good product but has convinced everyone they do.  Ive never seen gortex that doesn't leak. Ever.

Agree about gore-tex.  Those Danners went a long while until I started to need to water proof the leather areas.  That worked.  

jeff88
2 hours ago, brushbuster said:

Thanks, I'll add them to the list to check.

Brad Eden

Cabelas Meindl ultralight hunters are my current favorites. And Ive gone through a load of boots over the years.

jeff88
6 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Cabelas Meindl ultralight hunters are my current favorites. And Ive gone through a load of boots over the years.

Thanks!

erik meade

Whatever you can find a deal on...

Dave Quindt
4 hours ago, brushbuster said:

x2. 

While not foolproof, I’ve found the boots made in someplace else other than Asia tend to be a better product. The Meindl Denali is made in Germany (not all Cabela Meindls are). The “good” Danners by most reports are the ones made in the US. The Asolo boots are made in Europe. 

JMO,

Dave

Tom Avent

LOWA Boots! 

Uplander GTX - great boots. The Z-8s has better support. I rotate these with the Z-8s

Z-8s GTX - great boots.

Z-11s GTX ( would have bought these but there were not out when I bought the Z-8s)

Zepher GTX Hi TF - Seemed to lightweight for what I do, but they might be really good

Curt

Don't buy the Danner Pronghorns.  I live and hunt in PA and these were the worst $200. mistake I've made in a while.  Trying to save a buck I ordered the Pronghorns, wore them exactly two days hunting, probably 6-7 hours total in thick brush, etc..  The finish on the front and sides of the boots is completely gone, they look 5 years old.  I retired them back into the box, I have 7 year old boots that look better than these do now.  Emailed customer service at Danner and described the problem as I have here.  That was about 10 days ago and have not had any reply.

These are junk in my opinion, don't waste your money.

Follow up:  Only fair to add that Danner did respond shortly after I posted this.  I ended up sending the boots to them for evaluation after which they offered a replacement pair or a full refund.  I didn't want another pair of the pronghorns so opted for the full refund which arrived promptly.

ScottGrush
3 hours ago, Tom Avent said:

LOWA Boots! 

Uplander GTX - great boots. The Z-8s has better support. I rotate these with the Z-8s

Z-8s GTX - great boots.

Z-11s GTX ( would have bought these but there were not out when I bought the Z-8s)

Zepher GTX Hi TF - Seemed to lightweight for what I do, but they might be really good

I love my Lowa boots.

I like the zephyrs better than the uplanders and will try the z8 next. 

Bird Buster

Another lover of Lowa boots here. I have the Zephyr Gtx . Extremely comfortable supportive and durable. 

jeff88

Gents, very helpful, thanks for expanding on this.  I should have also asked about sizing - on the Danners I went to a half size bigger.  My feet are measured at 10.5 D and went to an 11.  If I stay with the same boots am going to 11.5 this time and may add more arch support.  How do the Meindls and Lowas run for sizing?  Should I buy larger or stay at 10.5?