• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
jeff88

Upland Boots for PA/Great Lakes/New England Geo's

Bird Buster

For me I moved up half size in my Lowas from normal. 

ScottGrush
20 hours ago, jeff88 said:

Gents, very helpful, thanks for expanding on this.  I should have also asked about sizing - on the Danners I went to a half size bigger.  My feet are measured at 10.5 D and went to an 11.  If I stay with the same boots am going to 11.5 this time and may add more arch support.  How do the Meindls and Lowas run for sizing?  Should I buy larger or stay at 10.5?

I remove the original insert and replace with Pinnacle powersteps which takes up a bit of volume in the boot. I wear a light to medium weight sock and stay with meausered size of 9.5. 

If I wore more sock up a half size would be a good idea. 

jeff88

Many thanks to everyone who chimed in here, really good ideas.  Just so happens that I have a pair of hiking boots I forgot about owning - Fabiano backpacking boots, extremely rugged, not insulated and serious vibram soles.  They were stored in their original box with the purchase slip dated 1976.  Yep, I bought these as back-up boots when I worked at a hiking store in State College, PA my senior year at Penn State.  Had a pair of Vasque's that I never wore out for long-distance back packing so didn't need them.  Since then I've gone to more of a lighter waterproof boot so those old hikers were never used.  These Fabiano boots are pretty heavy compared to newer hikes but they are really tough.  They have spent their lives in cool, dry places so should be in good shape.  Am going to use them here in TX for the woodcock season and check 'em out.  Lately I prefer a hiking boot so maybe I have a keeper.  If they don't work out, back to this thread for new boots recommendations.  BTW, when my wife asked me what I wanted this year and told her new boots, she showed me the old ones asked why I never used them.  "Uh, um, hmmmm...."  About the best I could muster as a response.  Yeah right, you would've done better.

Cool story about buying these boots:  The owner of the store gave us 40% off gear and clothes but we had to get an OK from the owner or manager to buy anything.  When I asked the owner if it was OK he looked at the boots inventory and said yes.  Then he opened the cash drawer and asked if I had $10 on me which I did and that's what was on the sales slip with 6% tax baked in the ten spot.  These were $75 boots back then, semi-hiking, semi-mountaineering.  He took great care of his employees and we in turn took great care of the store and each other.  For instance, that year the owner and I worked until 9 PM Christmas Eve then back at 9 AM on Boxing Day.  I drove to PGH the night of the 24th and back to State College the night of the 25th to be with my family for Christmas.  David gave me a $200 bonus in cash on the 26th after we closed -- it was a complete surprise.

Am going to take Scott's advice above and look into inserts for arch support, I promise my arches need that more today than back then!

DennisMcFeely

Lowa

mikev

Just saw a Cabelas ad on line. Brad's favorite boots, Meindl 400 gram Hunters are on sale for 49.95!

atticus

I really like the Orvis kangaroo upland boots, light, good soles and easy break in due to the soft leather. They are pricey, but can usually be had at the outlet stores for 1/2.  I'm on my third pair--but I beat the crap out of them.  

Flairball

I primarily wear wellies, and my opinion would be that the LaCrosse Alpha Burly is the wellie to get. It’s ankle fit, so it wears like a lace up. Very stable.  It was a query, like yours, here at UJ that put me in a pair. Being ankle fit they can be a little tough to don, and Doff. 

Ive also got a pair of Hunter Balmorals. There are nice, and have great traction. The tread is really hard core. They are a bit heavier than the LaCross, but easier to don, and doff because they have a full side zip gusset. 

As for lace-ups, I bought a pair of the Meindl. Best lace up hunting boot I’ve ever bought. Comfortable since day one.

I switch between wellies and lace-ups, conditions and coverts dictating which I choose.