Sign in to follow this  
Mike Connally

Seresto collar not working

Mike Connally

It looks like I’m going to need to find some other means to control ticks on Gunner. I noticed two engorged ticks after a hunt. His collar was 6 months old so I thought I might need a replacement. I ordered another from Foster and Smith. We hunted PA yesterday and I have now pulled off 4 engorged ticks. The collar is tightened as per instructions so I’m guessing it just doesn’t work for him. My other setter is still wearing the 6 month old Seresto and seems to be tick free. 

I’m looking for suggestions here. What are my other best options? I used to use the Preventick collar and Frontline. That might be where I go. 

Virgil Kane

Can't answer your question why it works for one and not the other.  I have been using the Seresto collar for the last couple of years and it works good.  But not as good as when I used Certifect topical along with a Scalibor tick collar. My dog had a reaction to all topical's but the possible outcome  from not using anything was worse than the cure so I used it.  The Certifect and Scalibor were 100% and the pooch never had a tick on him, walking crawling or embedded, zero ticks.  With the Seresto I do find an occasional tick but never embedded but it is much easier not only on me but the dog also.  I guess dogs are like people and some medicines work on some and not  others.  Just my opinion but I wold use what works and if that's topical's then so be it.

Virgil

bobman

they must have a lifespan did you get old ones? and I suspect they have to be on the dog for a while to distribute the chemical.

Mike Connally
8 minutes ago, bobman said:

they must have a lifespan did you get old ones? and I suspect they have to be on the dog for a while to distribute the chemical.

It was in date and on the dog for three days immediately after removing the older collar. Two of these ticks were just 4 inches from the collar. I’ve used Seresto for years on other dogs. It’s just not working on this guy. 

Curt

Mike,

I'm using Seresto collars in conjunction with Nexgard (oral med) on all three dogs this year here in PA and have yet to have an engorged tick.  This combination was suggested by my vet.

vabirddog

My Seresto has still been working well and I was concerned as you were since it was on since april. Have pulled off walking ticks while hunting but have found none attached this fall. It was a couple weeks when new to get good effect, since then I am happy.

Don Steese

The Seresto has been very effective for me but I change it every six months and I also spray my dog before we head into EVERY cover with the Flea Halt product you can get at Tractor Supply. It has permethrin and citronella. If I fail to spry I'll find ticks on her; when I spray I almost never find any. It smells nice too.  I like the idea of double protection.

Mike Connally

I might try the Nexguard in combination with the Seresto. I’ll check with my vet. 

Noxin

Up until this year I was a Advantix guy but switched to Seresto, so far its been great. 

DonT

I have a similar problem with the Seresto collar with just one of my dogs.  He is a wire coated breed and swims a lot.  The longest a collar lasts on him is 6 months, the last collar only lasted 3 months and wasn't 100% effective.  The new collar took 5+ days to work and for the last month has been working very well.  So I comb this dog out after every hunt and check for ticks.  

DAP

I have a 9 year old setter (Jackson), a 9 year old lab (Miley) and a 6 month old setter (Finn).  I have a Seresto collar on all 3.    I have found at least 6 engorged ticks on Jackson this year, but none on Miley or Finn.    

I'm also puzzled as to why the collars work on some dogs but not others.  

SLR

Trying to think rationally and come up with a mechanism, I can't find a rational reason why a tick collar should work on one dog and not another with the tick exposure being the same. One explanation is that the dog with the ticks picks up more of them in the field. I have a setter I call my tick magnet. He likes to roll in the leaves and picks up maybe 5 times the ticks as the other dogs. Perhaps the ticks vary in their sensitivity to the permethrins. The more ticks a dog picks up, the more likely it will have some resistant, if they are in the minority in the tick population. Also, the type of coat the dog has may make a difference. I have a beagle with a short stiff coat and she rarely has a tick on her. The coats may vary in how oily they are and how well the chemical from the collar spreads and binds the skin and hair. Thus I am suggesting the tick collar is not fully effective and on some dogs the tick exposure is greater than on others. I am assuming the amount of time in water is basically the same for the dogs with and without the ticks. 

DAP
7 hours ago, SLR said:

Trying to think rationally and come up with a mechanism, I can't find a rational reason why a tick collar should work on one dog and not another with the tick exposure being the same. One explanation is that the dog with the ticks picks up more of them in the field. I have a setter I call my tick magnet. He likes to roll in the leaves and picks up maybe 5 times the ticks as the other dogs. Perhaps the ticks vary in their sensitivity to the permethrins. The more ticks a dog picks up, the more likely it will have some resistant, if they are in the minority in the tick population. Also, the type of coat the dog has may make a difference. I have a beagle with a short stiff coat and she rarely has a tick on her. The coats may vary in how oily they are and how well the chemical from the collar spreads and binds the skin and hair. Thus I am suggesting the tick collar is not fully effective and on some dogs the tick exposure is greater than on others. I am assuming the amount of time in water is basically the same for the dogs with and without the ticks. 

I have no explanation for why it works on 2 out of my 3 dogs.  During one of the weekends that the ticks were acquired, both dogs were down together much of the time, and the younger setter (no attached ticks) ran alone a few times as well. Coming out of the cover I picked/brushed 30-60 crawling ticks off of both dogs.    Neither dog rolls in leaves, but the older setter will lay down in mud puddles.  

My older setter has always picked up more ticks than my lab, but I attributed that to different color, different coat type.   Now with 2 setters I'm mystified why one gets attached ticks while the other does not.  

Crazy Horse

I put the Seresto collar on my French Britt the beginning of May and it's still working. I did find one small tick between his eyes but it was already dead. NO fleas all summer long.