• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
Sign in to follow this  
SLR

Adequan for dogs

SLR

I am curious about anyone who has experience with Adequan injection as a joint supplement for dogs (and for horses for that matter).  I had a setter with some lameness of unknown cause, she did have a previous treated case of Anaplasmosis.  The vet suggested Adequan, but I passed on it and she got better with some time and a few days of Rimadyl.  The recommended dosage for dogs is biweekly injections for 4 wks. Adequan is supposed to be the only joint supplement licensed by the FDA. It is expensive in the vet clinic, unless the owner is given a prescription for a vial of the equine injectable supplement to be administered by the owner.  This is the general way it is given to horses. Then it would cost about $4 per dose for a dog.

I reviewed the studies listed for the FDA approval and the double blind study did seem to show some efficacy versus a placebo.

https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/Products/ApprovedAnimalDrugProducts/FOIADrugSummaries/ucm116139.htm

However, the charts showed that the placebo dogs also improved significantly over the time the data were collected, and the result for disability showed little difference between drug and control. One fault I had with these studies is that in contrast to similar studies on joint supplements in humans, there was no positive control, like a course of NSAIDs. Also the high dose safety studies did show significant side effects can occur at the higher than the recommended therapeutic doses. Our vet says Adequan is widely used in race horses, as it is not a banned drug. The big question though is how beneficial is it.

BlacknTan

No experience with Adequan, but we had a displastic Setter on Rimadyl long term, and by that I mean probably four years. We had her blood tested every six months, and it helped her immeasurably.

tut

We have had Gracie my Golden on Adequan for probably 3 years with zero bad affects and I believe it has helped her tremendously.  She will be 9 next month and unfortunately the kids and myself used to play frisbee with her in the back yard.   Lots of jumping 3 or 4 feet off the ground and sometimes crashing into things like fences and other yard obstacles.  Finally one time she came up really limping and we took her to the vet.  Did Xrays and found various minor fractures in her carpal area.  They recommended immediate stopping of the frisbee activities and recommended we put her on Adequan and also use metacam on the morning of hunt to assist in pain management. Fortunately it has worked and she can now go 90 minutes or so charging hard in the field with no problem and with no noticeable limp the following day.    Her dosage now is once per month.   I just looked an I assume this is the generic form of Adequan that we are using.  Its is labeled Chondroprotec.   Per my wife the dosage is 1.4ML every two weeks.  

High Mtn Hunter

I had excellent results with Adequan and my first Golden.  I started giving the injections when he was 10.  He hunted a lot and had suffered a few “ smaller” injuries over the years ... multiple hairline fractures in the front feet, disc injury in the back etc. Basically he was a little beat up and  could get a little gimpy after multiple days of hunting.  Once we started with Adequan, I considered it a minor miracle.  It was like rolling the clock back 3-4 years.  He clearly felt great and the way he ran in the field showed that.

Dogwood

I've had very good success with it, better than glucosamine et al.

Skybuster

My current dog has severe arthritis in his left elbow and hock, along with a bone chip in the left elbow. His limp is constant, some days worse than others. We have him on Adaquan, along with Dasuquin, and  Meloxicam. We give him Tramadol for pain. Given all the drugs I can't really say if Adaquan is worth the cost.