• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
tut

Va deer falls to a custom mannlicher

tut

I've had the absolute privilege to hunt a fair size farm in Va for the past several years.  Owner purchased it circa 1995 as he was a Iowa farm boy at heart and wanted a place where he could get away from all the crazies in D.C.  Since about 2003 I've been hunting there chasing everything from Squirrels to Whitetails.   Owner advised me a few days ago that he was considering selling it as he has retired out of state (Florida) and even though he still has business interests in D.C. his use of the property has slipped to the point where it questionable in his mind whether the costs of keeping outweigh the value of letting it go.  Knew this day was coming at some point (owner is in his mid 70's).   Hopefully he will drag his feet a bit and I'll get a few more years of fun out of using the place.

Above said, I have been hunting it the last few days and frankly have taken my lumps.  We normally see lots and lots of deer, but he has lots of property in CRP and the deer not having to move are hunkered down, as they have been hunted hard on the adjacent properties that ring this particular acreage.   Well, this morning a bit of sunshine came through the clouds as they say and at 645 I saw a solitary doe come out of some tall switchgrass about 150 yards away and started to nibble on some young rye in the adjacent field.   Was looking her over and trying to determine her exact size (does are legal) and out of the corner something much larger hit the field and starting chasing her around.   I had brought my favorite deer gun of all time with me which is a little (40" long) Remington Custom Mannlicher in .257 Roberts, Dan Rossiter rebuilt it for me with custom wood and metal work/engraving and pulled it to the ready.   Well, he never slowed down and was running her around in figure 8's all over the rye field.  Went on for about 45 seconds and the entire time I could see he had a decent set of horns and a large body for a Va deer.  Finally the Doe ran off and he paused for a second and the little Roberts spoke.   Off he ran, but I was pretty sure I'd made a good shot.  His tail was down and I thought he had stumbled when the rifle went off.  Waited for about 90 minutes for the daylight to really arrive and for things to settle down.  Finally walked out of the blind and looked up the hill towards where I'd last seen him running and he was laying there.  Nice Va deer and body wise the biggest deer I think I've ever shot before.  Actual horns seemed out of place on his body given how large it was.  He was a fighter as two points were broken off.  Live weight was 178 and dressed weight was 148.   Some good eats here.    If this is the last deer I ever kill on the property its a pretty nice one to end on.  

20171122_080940.jpg

20171122_080834.jpg

20171122_092104.jpg

topdog1961

Nice deer. Congrats. I too am thinking I'll loose my best woods. I made the mistake of showing the landowner a pic of the buck I took on his property 2-3 weeks ago. Previously he only gun hunted, coming in next Monday, and let me bow hunt, in for 6 weeks. I dropped some meat off to him over the weekend and he showed me his new Xbow. I think my time is short. It's a sad feeling. 

We we hang them by the arse end around here. 

MAArcher

Nice buck.  We hang them the other way here too!

tut

I always hung them butt up as they say my entire life.  The Iowa guy changed it for me.  Said in his opinion the blood drains much better this way out of the body cavity.  Done so many this way now that I don't even think about it..  PS.  Must be an Iowa thing. :)

PartridgeCartridge

Nice gun, nice buck, nice hunt. 

gunsrus

Nice deer Tom and a beautiful weapon . 

polecat

Nice. I knew the .257 would see some action.

Big Al

Way to go, congratulations.  Let's hope the land owner comes to his senses and realises you can live in Florida and own land in another state.

brushbuster

Very nice congrats!  Love the wood on that 257.

Do you have any pictures of the before and after Dan worked his magic?

Virgil Kane

That's a nice buck but hard for me to see with that beautiful rifle drawing most of my attention. :x

I use to hang my deer that way too until someone told me that the meat will have less of an iron taste if I hang them by their arse so the blood will drain out of the major muscle groups in the hinderender.  Maybe physiological but the meat did seem to taste better to me when hung by the arse. 

Congrats on the nice buck !

Virgil

Don Steese

Nice buck and I'd give important (at least they used to be) parts of my anatomy for the gun!!