• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
NECarson

Why the SUV love?

NECarson

First off, I'm not trying to be difficult, I am curious. 

I like SUVs, but I have always driven trucks. My wife has had a few SUVs, they were great for her and road trips, etc... Sometimes I want an Excursion for a daily. 

I can't understand wanting one for a hunting rig. Dirty, wet, smelly dogs can ride safely and comfortably in a box in the bed, nasty gear isn't in the cab, etc. 

And my dog goes most places I go, including work every day in the cab. It's definitely not a "Dog? In the back!" mindset... 

So what makes a SUV such a desirable vehicle for so many guys to hunt out of? 

Brad Eden

IMG_0536.JPG

Good question. Although I have become soft hearted and my current dog travels in my cab. (Double cab Tundra) I have seat covers that are admittedly gross at this point. But I couldn't live without the bed with a cap on it. It carries lumber, gas cans, chain saws, tool box, assorted gear and grime and dead deer. None of which I'd want inside a cab or SUV.

Windrider

Because the only thing made with two solid axles right now is an SUV.

..but that may change within the next couple of years.

Jeep Truck.  Woo hoo!

dogrunner

Cheaper in price usually, better traction, better fuel mileage and more guys hunt by themselves and don' t need the room of a truck that they have to drive everyday. 

bennelli-banger

i owned 3 suburbans over a 15 year period or so...and currently have a saturn outlook...and a RAV4...and a chevy silverado with a topper that has the vented side windows that open...which also has an Ainley drawer system that the crates sit on top of.  My first bird hunting trip this year was to ND in Sept...the day we left it was 95 degrees...and was still that hot 5 hours later.   5 dogs...couldn't put them in the cab with us...though I do have the full size, 4 door cab.  A few of my recent hunts it has been pretty cold, and the dogs do OK, I guess back there in their crates...I cover them with moving blankets and they have fleece blankets in their crates.  Point being, a climate controlled SUV is nice...yes, I hear the negatives about smelly dogs...really has never been an issue for me in 20+ years driving SUV's for hunting .  I do like the truck for solo trips...my 3 dogs do fit behind the seat in that space.  They both have their +/-'s...I bought the pickup last year because brand new, with the topper that I have lots of bells and whistles on, and my Ainley drawer system, and taxes, it was under 40k.  A suburban or tahoe would have been 15k+ more.   The truck sits most of the time...it is my hunting rig.  i drive the saturn or the rav4 in town or for daytrips within Mn...perhaps should have gotten the sliding windows on the truck and topper to control the climate back there...next time.

watermen

Personal choice I guess.  I've owned burbs and trucks.  I have had an Excursion for hunting and pulling the camper for the last two years.  I like the climate control for the dogs and the smell never bothered me and for some reason mine don't seem to run into a lot of skunks.  I solve the cargo problem with trailers.  I've had the FFA kids at school make 2 custom utility trailers for me.  If I need to haul anything it will fit in there and one will hold 3 dog boxes if I'm traveling with a dog nut or a trainer.  It just adds more tags and taxes to keep track of.  I personally would never go back to a truck for hunting,  4 wheelers, lawnmowers, wood, other heavy gear and you'll need a trailer eventually.  Last weekend we switched off driving and I slept in the second seat of the ex on my shifts off to ND.   Made the trip with 4 full days hunting and was home in time for turkey day.  I still had room for 4 dogs and gear for 3 guys.  A land barge is handy, my daily driver is a minivan9_9  An excursion is not your average station wagon.

NECarson
2 hours ago, Windrider said:

Because the only thing made with two solid axles right now is an SUV.

..but that may change within the next couple of years.

Jeep Truck.  Woo hoo!

Ford and Dodge trucks. 

NECarson
2 hours ago, dogrunner said:

Cheaper in price usually, better traction, better fuel mileage and more guys hunt by themselves and don' t need the room of a truck that they have to drive everyday. 

I don't understand why a truck is so hard to daily... 

dogrunner

Most people don't like the mileage. Some leave it home for there wife to drive while they drive a small car to work, but the wife don't like driving a big truck. 

River19

We have both, a couple of trucks (2001 Tundra & 2014 Ram 2500) and an SUV (Lexus GX).  Trucks and SUVs have their pros and cons.  I like the SUV for road trips with the dogs, able to keep them in a climate controlled space (GX has separate rear A/C etc.) and more secure for them.  The GX when properly equipped is as capable as any similarly equipped truck as it is based on the Toyota 120 platform (4 Runner, FJ, Prado) etc.  Of course with the 4.7L V8 in both the Tundra and the more refined version in the GX I only see a 2mpg difference between our choice in SUV.  When we had a Rav4, 24-28mpg regularly and could haul 3 dogs pretty easily.

Trucks are great when you need to put dirty stuff or bloody stuff in back, and of course hauling/towing.  The 2500 tows the horse(s) and is a great platform for multi day horse shows with 3 dogs etc.

Skunkedalot

After two pick up trucks, I am on my second suv. i got tired of crawling into the bed(capped) to get at stuff. so moved to SUV.

I had an explorer for 13 years, good vehicle that basically rusted out. moved to a 2010 Pilot based on Honda reliability (we have had 3 other cars, all with 150K plus) and the Pilot has an incredible amount of room. With the passenger seat folded flat, i can put my 9 1/2 kayak in the vehicle so i dont have to lift it on the roof.

I use and treat it like a truck. seats are always folded down.

it sees runs to the dump, deer, birds and dogs. Carries a week worth of camping gear, easy to access the gear.

ride is nice, gas mileage is good and the 4 wheel drive system has worked in snow. we use it for ski trips. 

My family always had SUV- International Scouts and Jeeps. We find that they are the perfect vehicle for our needs.

jackh

Last June I headed overseas for my last tour; I sold my Jeep Unlimited and TJ, keeping only my old Cherokee, which I plan on cutting the top off of and tricking out next summer.  I wanted to make a fresh start and the sales provided good coin and an opportunity to RESET.

I turned 53 yesterday and my retirement is fast approaching (3 1/2 yrs).  I plan on doing extensive traveling for bird hunting and mountain fishing, sometimes solo and meeting folks and sometimes with a partner; 2 dogs is the max I would need room for.(At this point, let me thank my beautiful and understanding wife for allowing me the time to do what I love!).  I've done extensive research on vehicles using a myriad of criteria, but primarily I wanted something that would get me where I normally want to go, gets good mpg, allows me to have a modicum of luxury without breaking the bank.  I used a full blown MDMP (Military Decision Making Process); this is pretty "in-depth" as many of you would know, and I used no short cuts.

Short Version of my criteria:

1.     Daily driver  (70% of my driving)

2.     Family trips

3.     Long (400+ miles) hunting, fishing, and/or camping trips

4.     Shorter (western KS or closer) hunting trips

5.     Towing jobs with my small trailer

Points to consider:

1.     Price / Value – New under 32k, used under 25k

2.     If used, no older than 2015

3.     If used, no mileage over 40k

4.     Cargo capacity

5.     Towing capacity

6.     4WD (AWD)

7.     Able to go where I want to go

a.     Decently rough terrain and unmaintained roads (not a rock crawler)

b.     Snow & mud

c.     Some pasture/off-road driving

8.     Enough room for family on trips (family, dogs, luggage)

9.     Enough room for hunt trips (2 men, 2 dogs, equipment, luggage, guns, etc.)

10.  Enough room for fish/camp trips (2 persons, fish equip, camp equip, luggage, etc.)

11.  Reliability

12.  MPG efficiency

13.  Luxury (Sirrus Radio, heated seats, nice ride, nice interior, electronics plugs, etc.)

14.  Able to accessorize (roof rack, lift, AT tires, lights, etc.)

15.  Color (white)

16.  Safety

17.  Sun Roof

18.  Longevity

Life Span:

10 years / 300k miles

Vehicles I considered: Full-size PU, 4Runner, Mid-size PU; Mid-size SUV (Xterra), and Subaru Forester.  I test drove all of these - and more - before I left.

I utilized a VAST amount of data, reviews, and watched hours of video. 

When the dust settled, the Forester was the run-away winner, based on my criteria.

Here is an interesting point to consider regarding fuel economy for 125K travel: This will be about 4 1/2 to 5 yrs worth of usage...

If one gets 28 mpg combined vs 18 mpg combined, it uses 2,480 gallons less fuel over the 125K traveled.  If fuel is $2.50 per gal, the total savings is: $6,200 .  If fuel prices go up, savings increase.

I'm doing well monetarily, but I like saving money.  I can re-invest in my next vehicle, etc.  Heck, that savings alone will finance many extra trips  :-)

This criteria and paradigm may not work for everyone, but it works for me.  I can now walk in, drop the cash down, and drive off without second guessing myself.

bobman

Vans beat them all super practical and typically a bargain on the used market, way way more useable space and unlimited  customizability 

I don’t worry about gas mileage ( one ton vans are my favorite) but 1/2 ton vans easily will match most pickups

for under $500 you can have a locker installed in the rear end that will exceed 99 percent of normal needs

been using them for 30 years and every time i’ve tried something else I come back to vans

Greg Hartman

I, too, like trucks.  Love being able to toss firewood or shovel manure into the back and not worry about it.  Comfortable, secure ride - quiet and safe - good visibility sitting up high - with a crew cab plenty of room in the back seat.  Tail gate for sitting on, deburring dogs, cleaning birds, etc.  Besides, a nice pick-up is cool.  Yeah, the mileage isn't the best, but I don't drive that much anymore. 

Then, my wife got sick and I had to get rid of my nice crew-cab truck in order to buy a vehicle I could transfer her into from her wheelchair (trucks are way too high for that).  Was stuck with a crappy, old Jeep Liberty, that had previously been a dedicated towed vehicle for the motorhome as my sole hunting/utility vehicle.  Figured it would never work.  Eight years later, I can say I'm wrong.  There's nothing cool or comfortable about an ancient Jeep, but it does work just fine - the price is right (doubt it's worth $100) - and I don't care at all about getting it beat up in the backcountry, dogs barfing in it, putting bloody dead game in it, etc.  If I was a rich man, I'd drive a nice high-end pick-up (and maybe a 911, too), but at this point in my life, the benefits of a pick-up simply are not worth the extra expense for me.  I'll make do with my old Jeep.

henryrski

I am in the undecided camp. I have an07 Expedition 14 F250, 4door w/8foot bed.