• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
NECarson

Why the SUV love?

gunsrus

I like the safety and climate control of putting the dogs in an SUV . I am comfortable leaving two dogs in crates locked in the SUV and one hunting with me . 

I like driving down logging roads and the dogs are inside and not in the bed of the truck eating dust . 

The 1999 Tahoe 2 door 4wd I bought last year as a dedicated grouse mobile has worked out perfect . Excellent ground clearance , plenty of room , plenty of power ( just ok on gas), not totally computer driven ( I can fix it myself ) and an added bonus a tailgate !

I love my 2005 Dodge Ram PU and probably will be the last PU I ever buy but not for hunting with dogs . 

steveziv

I only have the room and budget for one vehicle for myself, otherwise I might have a sedan as a daily driver and a truck for hunting and utility.  My SUV (a BMW X3) is a good choice for 90% of the driving I do and an adequate choice for the other 10% (logging roads, etc).  A truck would be expensive to buy, fuel and insure, and hard to park in the city (anywhere really).  It would be a good choice for 10% of my driving and an adequate choice for 90%.

jeff88

Believe we all know what we need and why.  An SUV works for me because I don't do a lot of hauling of things that are either too large or too nasty to want to have inside the confines of the vehicle.  (Besides, a very good friend has a Tacoma.  9_9)  That's where the separation may exist.   With a roof rack I can put on a boat, a 20 cu ft car top box and or  plug a bike rack in the receiver hitch.  Gives me the kind of utility I need and as a daily driver, is pretty nice too.  It's a 5.5 YO Acura MDX and embodies the truest definition of what a luxury car is to me -- it's paid for!

One idea not mentioned here - what about owning only one vehicle but renting a ride for short term usage?  For a family vacation with many passengers and lots of items, a mini van rental may be an ideal choice.  With gas and rental costs, you may be looking at the most a $3-400 weekly fee.  The past 5 years, I've flown to PGH and/or DC and rented an SUV for a week to use in North Central PA, have had explorers and an edge -- all worked really well for us.  About $325 total with gas etc.  You're not paying for something you won't be using or having a vehicle sitting idle.  Perhaps own the pick-up truck for all year around and rent the specialty vehicle for short term usage.

The future of auto ownership is going to really change with autonomous vehicles in a ride-sharing economy.  City and suburbanite driving is going to mean one owns one vehicle, that's it.  Car clubs will also be starting - for a yearly fee you have access to a fleet of rides that range from 2-seaters to large utility types - this model has already been in place for airplane pilots for quite a while. 

BlacknTan

I like my dogs in the same cab as myself. I can keep tabs on what is going on much more closely.

And, arthritis is my neck makes visibility a big issue for me. I find an SUV to have much better visibility that a pickup with a cap. But, this is just my viewpoint .. I have no problem with pickups, with a cap or without.

steveziv
1 hour ago, jeff88 said:

One idea not mentioned here - what about owning only one vehicle but renting a ride for short term usage?  For a family vacation with many passengers and lots of items, a mini van rental may be an ideal choice. 

Back when we both had sedans and the kids were all home we rented a Suburban for our SC vacation.  It was awesome and truth be told, I quickly got used to driving and parking it.

Chops

For me it comes down to price.  I have kids so I need a back seat.  I can buy an SUV for thousands less than a comparable crew cab pickup.  Right now I'm driving an 2004 4Runner.  It's just as capable as the Tacoma off road and I paid about 60% of what a 4 door Tacoma would cost. 

Steve Van Dis

I've owned a variety of Jeeps (Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee) as well as Subaru Foresters and Outbacks. My current ride is an Outback and it works for 99%+ of everything I need. I can go anywhere I need, carry dogs, gear, stuff.. I average 29 mpg and it is fantastic in the snow.

However, my teenage boys are 6'2", 270 and 6' 3"+, 200 and I simply need something with more leg room (I'm 6'1" and my wife is 6').... I love my Outback but I'm afraid I need to trade it in on something more pedestrian like a mini-van or some other deathmobile........

rideold

Because an SUV is more functional and more fun to drive than a van....There are 7 of us between my family, parents and in-laws that all live in the same town so we tend to have a lot of people in the car at once.  Having 8 seats and still being able to use that same vehicle to hunt out of (upland and big game) is a plus for me.  Besides, when I've had pickups I always end up needing the topper off when it's on and on when it's off.

NECarson
8 hours ago, jeff88 said:

Believe we all know what we need and why.  

Yeah. That was the point of the question. 

8 hours ago, jeff88 said:

One idea not mentioned here - what about owning only one vehicle but renting a ride for short term usage?  For a family vacation with many passengers and lots of items, a mini van rental may be an ideal choice.  With gas and rental costs, you may be looking at the most a $3-400 weekly fee.  The past 5 years, I've flown to PGH and/or DC and rented an SUV for a week to use in North Central PA, have had explorers and an edge -- all worked really well for us.  About $325 total with gas etc.  You're not paying for something you won't be using or having a vehicle sitting idle.  Perhaps own the pick-up truck for all year around and rent the specialty vehicle for short term usage.

We regularly rent a vehicle for vacation. Particularly fly somewhere, and rent a vehicle to drive to other places. Or start here in one. 

Flush

I actually prefer trucks but recently bought a used suburban. 

Looking at 10-15 year old Silverados the price for comparable year/mileage/condition Tahoes and Suburbans... they were literally half the price. I will say I do like being able to control the temperature for the dogs while traveling, so while overall I prefer trucks, Suvs are nice in that regard.

Brookieslayer

As a guy that has done both, I bought my 2002 Ex 3 years ago. It was one of the best things I did for my dogs. When it is -20 out and I am leaving to go south to hunt they have a warm place to ride, in the heat of the early season they have a cool place to ride. In the arid regions of the prairies we all love to hunt they aren't eating the dust that seems to be always there. 

On the other side my daily driver is a Ford F350.... so I guess a pickup makes a great daily driver? my dogs ride on a mud river double barreled mat in the back seat of the pickup around town...

john mcg

I've done both as well. I've built drawer systems for the pick-ups that work out real well with dog boxes on top. I currently have a 2013 F150 that I will be selling to get an SUV again, as I am no longer remodeling and such.

Looking at Land Cruisers, Expeditions, Tahoes and Suburbans. I like having the pups out of the weather, when possible hanging out with me.

john mcg

Seems there are a ton of big SUVs out here that are in good shape. Perhaps lack of salted roads has something to do with it.

Gonna be fun searching for one.

caleb
On 11/25/2017 at 6:16 PM, NECarson said:

So what makes a SUV such a desirable vehicle for so many guys to hunt out of? 

I'll bet 75%+ of upland hunting in the US could be done with minimal hinderance out of a Prius or Civic.

If you're looking for an explanation for driving SUVs based on hunting functionality, I think you're looking in the wrong place.  I don't think the reasons hunters drive SUVs are all that different than the reasons suburban soccer moms drive SUVs to the mall.  I don't mean that to be snarky, but rather just to say that almost all of us, minus our self-image and ego, would be fine with Bobman's van.