• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
NECarson

Why the SUV love?

Brookieslayer
1 hour ago, caleb said:

I'll bet 75%+ of upland hunting in the US could be done with minimal hinderance out of a Prius or Civic.

If you're looking for an explanation for driving SUVs based on hunting functionality, I think you're looking in the wrong place.  I don't think the reasons hunters drive SUVs are all that different than the reasons suburban soccer moms drive SUVs to the mall.  I don't mean that to be snarky, but rather just to say that almost all of us, minus our self-image and ego, would be fine with Bobman's van.

there is no way I can fit 3 dogs 2 guys and gear in a Prius... just saying:D  a civic.... probably not either...

E.Young
1 hour ago, caleb said:

I'll bet 75%+ of upland hunting in the US could be done with minimal hinderance out of a Prius or Civic.

I spent ~200 days per year for four years chasing trout, ducks, and deer out of a Prius. I can confirm that I was only rarely inconvenienced and never totally impeded by my choice in vehicle. 

caleb
15 minutes ago, Brookieslayer said:

there is no way I can fit 3 dogs 2 guys and gear in a Prius... just saying:D  a civic.... probably not either...

Why not?  If you fold down the back seat of a Prius you have a flatbed close to the size of a Ford Ranger.

Even if space is the issue, an SUV isn't the obvious solution to me.  A minivan has more capacity and is way cheaper than pretty much any comparable SUV.

Flush

I feel that since people are using their own money to buy it and pay for the fuel that goes in it...they should be able to drive whatever the hell they want, whether the "need" it or not. 

I do find it comical that states are starting to try to figure out ways owners of hybrids and electrics will "pay their fair share" of road usage and infrastructure costs since it historically comes from fuel taxes.

Greg Hartman
9 hours ago, caleb said:

If you're looking for an explanation for driving SUVs based on hunting functionality, I think you're looking in the wrong place.  I don't think the reasons hunters drive SUVs are all that different than the reasons suburban soccer moms drive SUVs to the mall.  I don't mean that to be snarky, but rather just to say that almost all of us, minus our self-image and ego, would be fine with Bobman's van.

I must respectfully disagree.  The tranny in my old Jeep took a dump in the middle of November this season, and I didn't have the use of it for (thankfully!!) only a couple days.  Since I hunt nearly every day, I had no choice but to hunt out of the Honda coupe that is my "business car"..  I found I could not get into several places I like to hunt - the goat trails were too deeply rutted and the mud puddles (lakes) were too deep.  Lifting the dogs in and out of the back seat was a monumental PITA.  Chase (being ever flexible and accepting of new things O.o ) stuck his head into the corner of the back seat area and just sat there quivering and waiting to die each time I drove it.  I try to keep the car in respectable condition for work and such - after only one hunting trip it was covered with mud on the outside and covered with dog snot, hair, feathers and mud on the inside.  I had to carry boots, gun and the whole pile of other crap needed for hunting and dog care in the trunk and use plastic bags for the dead birds because I didn't want them bleeding all over the car. There was no place to stand the dogs for the post-hunt de-burring.  I could go on.

I was VERY glad to get the old Jeep back.  If you think anyone drives an ancient, beat-up Jeep Liberty to look cool or for ego reasons, I guess your ego is much different than mine.

As noted previously, if I was a rich man, I'd have a nice crew-cab pick-up for hunting, but I'm not, so I am willing to make do with the old Jeep.  Perhaps one can hunt out of a regular car if you don't go into the way back areas that are my favorite spots, but it is neither practical nor fun.  Never had a van, so I can't speak to that, but it does seem to makes sense.

Cooter Brown
9 hours ago, E.Young said:

I spent ~200 days per year for four years chasing trout, ducks, and deer out of a Prius.

I bet your feet got really cold wearing Birkenstocks.

Brookieslayer
10 hours ago, caleb said:

Why not?  If you fold down the back seat of a Prius you have a flatbed close to the size of a Ford Ranger.

Even if space is the issue, an SUV isn't the obvious solution to me.  A minivan has more capacity and is way cheaper than pretty much any comparable SUV.

It isn't the flat space but the volume... ie the height inside. 

Bullwinkle

Don't confuse NEED and WANT..  

E.Young
1 hour ago, Cooter Brown said:

I bet your feet got really cold wearing Birkenstocks.

Only when my socks got wet. 

NECarson
4 hours ago, E.Young said:

Only when my socks got wet. 

Should have worn wool socks. 

It seems to me that many people missed the point of the discussion. Which has been interesting. 

E.Young
28 minutes ago, NECarson said:

Should have worn wool socks. 

It seems to me that many people missed the point of the discussion. Which has been interesting. 

I tried wool socks - practical, but wrong aesthetic. 

black-socks-and-Birkenstocks-3-500x375.j

On SUVs, I love my Tacoma, but I am constantly thinking about getting rid of it for an SUV - more interior space, nicer ride quality, etc. 

I was hunting near my in-laws in CT last weekend and a WC hunter pulled up with a 2-dog box in the back of his hybrid Escape. Leather seats, a back seat, creature comforts and 30mpg has never looked so tempting. 

bobman

My van and I make a very sexy combo

cf1193
On 11/25/2017 at 6:46 PM, NECarson said:
On 11/25/2017 at 4:29 PM, dogrunner said:

Cheaper in price usually, better traction, better fuel mileage and more guys hunt by themselves and don' t need the room of a truck that they have to drive everyday. 

I don't understand why a truck is so hard to daily... 

I'm with you here. I think the visibility out of a truck is waaaaaaaay better than a suburban.

NECarson
1 hour ago, bobman said:

My van and I make a very sexy combo

The van has nothing to do with that. 

dogrunner

I drive a F150 Off Road most days but I don’t think there that much taller than a Burb with a good set of rims and tires. This would be good for visibility but I wouldn’t want to drive it every day. 😊

E142A385-0BBA-4740-83D1-8BFE7353DF1F.jpeg