• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
NECarson

Why the SUV love?

MAArcher
On 11/25/2017 at 6:16 PM, NECarson said:

First off, I'm not trying to be difficult, I am curious. 

I like SUVs, but I have always driven trucks. My wife has had a few SUVs, they were great for her and road trips, etc... Sometimes I want an Excursion for a daily. 

I can't understand wanting one for a hunting rig. Dirty, wet, smelly dogs can ride safely and comfortably in a box in the bed, nasty gear isn't in the cab, etc. 

And my dog goes most places I go, including work every day in the cab. It's definitely not a "Dog? In the back!" mindset... 

So what makes a SUV such a desirable vehicle for so many guys to hunt out of? 

After a sub freezing duck hunt or an 80+ degree upland hunt, I'd much rather have my dog in a warm/cool SUV (Excursion for me) rather than bouncing around in the bed of pickup subject to highway winds or beating sun.  And to my nose, a wet "smelly" dog is a lot more pleasing than the overpowering air fresheners my wife hangs in her Xterra.

Bede
23 hours ago, caleb said:

Why not?  If you fold down the back seat of a Prius you have a flatbed close to the size of a Ford Ranger.

Even if space is the issue, an SUV isn't the obvious solution to me.  A minivan has more capacity and is way cheaper than pretty much any comparable SUV.

I was buying what you are selling up to this point. At least new, minivan costs are bonkers especially those with AWD, as are the three row SUVs . However, compact and midsize SUVS (crossovers) can be purchased for far less than a minivan and they will return significantly better MPG. 

I will say that going from a Tacoma to a Forester, there are very few places I go to hunt and fish the former can take me that latter couldn't. 32-34MPG on the highway, full time AWD, an excellent and idiot-proof off-road AWD feature with hill descent control, 8.7 inches of clearance and plenty of cargo space. I had a Pilot in between, and don't miss the space, totally superfluous for my needs 99% of the time. 

terrym
1 hour ago, Bede said:

I was buying what you are selling up to this point. At least new, minivan costs are bonkers especially those with AWD, as are the three row SUVs . However, compact and midsize SUVS (crossovers) can be purchased for far less than a minivan and they will return significantly better MPG. 

I will say that going from a Tacoma to a Forester, there are very few places I go to hunt and fish the former can take me that latter couldn't. 32-34MPG on the highway, full time AWD, an excellent and idiot-proof off-road AWD feature with hill descent control, 8.7 inches of clearance and plenty of cargo space. I had a Pilot in between, and don't miss the space, totally superfluous for my needs 99% of the time. 

How often do you see f/s 4wd pickups with mud or anything in the bed. Very few people "need" a truck. Most members here have fairly specific space/off road needs but we are a small minority. I only drive a truck because my employer supply's it. I was perfectly happy with my Jeep Liberty before that. On my annual moose hunt I just hitched a utility trailer on to haul gear and the ATV. 

garyRI
On 11/26/2017 at 9:52 AM, jackh said:

Here is an interesting point to consider regarding fuel economy for 125K travel: This will be about 4 1/2 to 5 yrs worth of usage...

If one gets 28 mpg combined vs 18 mpg combined, it uses 2,480 gallons less fuel over the 125K traveled.  If fuel is $2.50 per gal, the total savings is: $6,200 .  If fuel prices go up, savings increase.

Like jackh we have a Forester but dividing $6200 by 60 (12 months per year for 5 years) the larger vehicle costs an extra $103/month. If the larger vehicle's additional capabilities are important it could easily be worth the extra 103.

UplandHntr

Its pretty hard to justify most expenses in this upland or hunting lifestyle. 

MAArcher
On 11/29/2017 at 2:52 PM, bobman said:

My van and I make a very sexy combo

Is it a 4x4 van?  I would love a 4x4 van but they aren’t easy to come by and I’m not sure how good i’d Do parking and backing up with the limited view.

dream truck is a diesel short wheel base Mitsubishi Fuso set up for overland.

AAAC29E8-870B-4632-B380-36C78E70C056.jpeg

Harry

Bud has a Honda Pilot and the places he goes with it will cover 90% plus of where most of us will venture and has room to spare. Daughter has a Subaru Outback that loves to push thru snow and not miss a beat. Has like 8 inches of ground clearance. 

Chukarman

I have the F350 to tow with and carry the dogs. I have a Land Cruiser to drive. Though I did load an elk in the back of one of my Land Cruisers a couple years ago.

Grousehunter
On 11/28/2017 at 9:17 AM, Brookieslayer said:

As a guy that has done both, I bought my 2002 Ex 3 years ago. It was one of the best things I did for my dogs. When it is -20 out and I am leaving to go south to hunt they have a warm place to ride, in the heat of the early season they have a cool place to ride. In the arid regions of the prairies we all love to hunt they aren't eating the dust that seems to be always there. 

On the other side my daily driver is a Ford F350.... so I guess a pickup makes a great daily driver? my dogs ride on a mud river double barreled mat in the back seat of the pickup around town...

What's your fuel mileage?  Couldn't resist buddy :) 

mccuha

I’m thinking my truck with a topper on it is about the same as a suv.  I like an suv and know you can hunt out of it but wet smelly dogs and a 4 plus hr ride just doesn’t smell like fun. Also I don’t mind throwing anything in the back of my truck but the suv?

rideold
On 12/2/2017 at 3:18 PM, MAArcher said:

dream truck is a diesel short wheel base Mitsubishi Fuso set up for overland.

I've always wanted a Unimog.  Saw one kitted out as a camper once.  It was by far the coolest ride I've ever seen. 

Gunsmoke

One question that isn't being asked here. How many dogs do you own? Personally I know I'm not going anywhere or fitting all my heathens in some prius😄

Chesepeakes_Man

I'm a bit of a gear head and I am looking for a nice clean Toyota Land Cruiser 60 Series. I LOVE diesels and I intend to drop a 6BT Cummins into it. I want to totally restore one and when I die, they can use it for my coffin.

Chesepeakes_Man
On 12/12/2017 at 12:42 AM, Chukarman said:

I have the F350 to tow with and carry the dogs. I have a Land Cruiser to drive. Though I did load an elk in the back of one of my Land Cruisers a couple years ago.

Mike, What LC are you running ?

NECarson
3 hours ago, Chesepeakes_Man said:

I'm a bit of a gear head and I am looking for a nice clean Toyota Land Cruiser 60 Series. I LOVE diesels and I intend to drop a 6BT Cummins into it. I want to totally restore one and when I die, they can use it for my coffin.

4bt isn't as smooth, but would package a lot nicer in a 60.

Either would be cool though!