FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
NECarson

Why the SUV love?

Chukarman
15 hours ago, Chesepeakes_Man said:

Mike, What LC are you running ?

I've had a 40, a 60, an 80, and now I drive a 100 series. For a 60 series, the Cummins is a tall engine and will require a good deal of lift. A 1HZ or similar inline Hino 6 cylinder would be a better fit and require no adapter for a Toyota 5 speed, though the diesel transmission is not the same as the H55F they use on the gas engines, 

I have been addicted to TLCs since I bought my first one in 1973.

Chesepeakes_Man

I've been talking to a few guy's that put the 6BT in their 60s and they absolutely love them. They had to add some springs but then the 6BT squatted it down to a nice elevation. One guy used the NV4500 tranny and it worked real nice. There are oil pans and adapter plates for the whole conversion. I know the 6BT is a little over kill but I like it. If you run across a nice 60 series let me know.

Dale 

Brookieslayer
On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎04 at 4:16 PM, Grousehunter said:

What's your fuel mileage?  Couldn't resist buddy :) 

in the F350 it is about 18 miles to the gallon... that is a US gallon. In the Excursion about 15 miles to the gallon on trips. BUT I certainly don't worry about being in an accident with a Prius, or a Subaru... sorry couldn't resist!:ph34r:

NECarson
18 hours ago, Chesepeakes_Man said:

I've been talking to a few guy's that put the 6BT in their 60s and they absolutely love them. They had to add some springs but then the 6BT squatted it down to a nice elevation. One guy used the NV4500 tranny and it worked real nice. There are oil pans and adapter plates for the whole conversion. I know the 6BT is a little over kill but I like it. If you run across a nice 60 series let me know.

Dale 

Yeah, it's amazing how many "custom" adapter plates are readily available for the B series Cummins. 

I'm assuming they don't run an intercooler? 

I've spent way too much time playing with diesels for the past 15 years... Mostly performance stuff though. Which is not what I'm assuming your primary goal is. 

Chesepeakes_Man
2 hours ago, NECarson said:

Yeah, it's amazing how many "custom" adapter plates are readily available for the B series Cummins. 

I'm assuming they don't run an intercooler? 

I've spent way too much time playing with diesels for the past 15 years... Mostly performance stuff though. Which is not what I'm assuming your primary goal is. 

The guy I bought my bus from holds the world record for a diesel pickup in the quarter mile. His wife even drove it to 175 miles per hour !!

I just like diesels and always have. The guy's who have installed the 6BT have all ran with intercoolers and use the Dodge stock unit. 

bkelble

In the last 10 years I have hunted in a truck, suv, and hatchback car.  Each has their strong and weak points.  The car... a 2007 Honda Fit. Can hold 2 crates, 2 men and gear easily and gets 30 to 40 mpg. But, anything other than a nice gravel road has me walking.  That's not a huge issue for me as most of my hunts are easily accessible. The truck was a regular cab so it could only hold 2 men.  But, with a cap on the bed, I could take way more gear than I ever needed.  The drawback was the worry about temperature control in the bed.  Sometimes when I hunt, it is 70, sometimes it is 7... The SUV has proven to be best for me.  My hunting rig is a 2000 Subaru Forester.  20-28 mpg, space for 2 men and 2 dogs or 3 men and one dog and temperature control for the dogs. The drawback comes when Ella rolls in a dead carp in the last cover of the day.  It makes the hour drive home a tad unpleasant.  So I suppose at the end of the day, the suv is the best choice for me. 

Auto-5

Well to me they are a bit more comfortable than a truck , but the real decision comes to do you want covered I.e. lockable cargo space or open. It’s a trade off for sure. I hate to leave my fishing rods, golf clubs , guns laying in the open bed of a truck but prefer to haul wet smelly bloody deer carcasses there as opposed to the carpeted interior of a suv with the seat down. A truck with a cap is just an inconvenient suv imho.

MAArcher

If it hasn't been mentioned already, the biggest argument against SUV's is when you miles from home and your dog gets sprayed by a skunk.  And then the SUV smells of skunk forever.

Brookieslayer
1 hour ago, MAArcher said:

If it hasn't been mentioned already, the biggest argument against SUV's is when you miles from home and your dog gets sprayed by a skunk.  And then the SUV smells of skunk forever.

true.... unless you have natures miracle on board....

WMassGriff

Does Nature's Miracle work on Skunk? On the dog too?

Powderfinger

I like SUV's for 1 main reason: your gear & clothes stay dry no matter what.  I had a truck for 10 years with various soft and hard covers, but they always wee a pain.  Especially for easy access to the stuff that slides forward!

My GSP bird machine rides in the back with seats flat, tethered to the floor and wearing a safety harness.  That way he can turn around and/or stretch once in a while.  He quickly outgrew his large sized travel box because he's a tall 80+ pounder !

Dogwood
On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 2:56 PM, MAArcher said:

Not if you keep the dog in a crate.

Brookieslayer
On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎20 at 8:04 AM, WMassGriff said:

Does Nature's Miracle work on Skunk? On the dog too?

It works amazing on dogs that get skunked. Smell is almost immediately gone. Great for travelling as there is no premix just put it on straight out of the bottle. Works on you too. Just keep the dog dry for 5 hours or so after so all the bacteria get taken care of by the product.

Wirehair
On 11/25/2017 at 5:24 PM, Brad Eden said:

IMG_0536.JPG

Good question. Although I have become soft hearted and my current dog travels in my cab. (Double cab Tundra) I have seat covers that are admittedly gross at this point. But I couldn't live without the bed with a cap on it. It carries lumber, gas cans, chain saws, tool box, assorted gear and grime and dead deer. None of which I'd want inside a cab or SUV.

THIS!  

bmeador

I have a Suburban w/over 200K miles that is my local hunting rig, training season rig and daily driver. I have a 2 hole box in the back that I can fit up to 4 pointers in if needed. On top is a custom platform that holds all my training gear and/or hunting gear.

It has AC so I don't have to worry if dogs are in it if I have to run into a store. I'll pretty much travel all over VA with it but not long hauls out of state.  I figure I'll drive it locally until it stops running.

We've got a double cab Tundra we use to head north and west. 3 hole box on bottom and 2 hole box stacked on top under a shell. Sometimes towing a travel trailer.  

I love the Burb during the training season for the AC, actually easier to hunt out of locally. But man do I love the Tundra on the long hauls!!!