NECarson

Why the SUV love?

oak stob

For me, the true answer to the OP’s question is that I do not have a face fit for an SUV...one must not reach too high.

I have come to prefer the plain ol’ 4-door Tacoma....nearly 300K on the last one and 60K on this one.

Needing to go to the dump, for work and all else finds a truck, IT.

I did rip out the backseat bottom cushions and the silly plastic storage stuff back there.....that made room for two Intermediate RuffToughs in the cab. It did require one box to have a side-opening door but they work fine now and with the topper, gives me 4-dog carry room.

More space is nice on long jaunts but.....one finds a personal fit that works.

Plus, I have to say that I took inordinate pleasure in ripping out or sawz-alling the final fit.

jeff88

A way to look at this is to put together a list of what the ride is used for.  SUV or Pick-up, primary use 1st?  Is it a daily driver?  Family ride?  Work truck?  

Most don't have the luxury of having a vehicle for a specific hunting purpose to outfit, it is more often that we use a ride for day-to-day with hunting a secondary activity.  In my case, its an SUV that works best.  I can outfit it to be a decent bird-hunting ride here in TX but it would be pretty limited for way off the pavement with larger game in difficult terrain.  OTOH, those rides in daily use would not be what I would want here.  For deer hunting, my brother in OH uses his SUV with a sturdy grated rack on his trailer hitch for carrying deer, he's had two on it and says it would hold 3.  These are very short drives from where he hunts to his house.  That would not work if he was a 2 day drive from out west to his house but then again, he'd be carrying coolers and caped heads back.  

An SUV can be racked-up with boxes and trailer hitch accessories yet still maintain a decent interior for hunters and dogs particularly with some of the mats/trays we can add.  They are also a bit nicer on the pavement than trucks for the ride to and back on highways.  But if I lived in a rural area, had a lot to haul or tow, had to regularly get through unpaved or treacherous roadways needing ground clearance and traction -  an F-150 or a Tundra crew cab would be my 1st choice.  

sloth5202

I wish I had I still had my Suburban.  Climate controlled for the dogs and I can haul around 3 kids in car seats.  I had a small 4x8 utility trailer for loads I didn't want in the vehicle and it was easier to load than the back of a pickup.

WMassGriff

OMG, dead Deer inside a SUV!!! Mine does whenever possible no problem just lay down a tarp. Its a hunting vehicle for me/dogs/and anything I harvest. My trailer hitch rack has been a jinx for me so I leave it home now.

Clueless1

Tried keeping the kids in dog crates in the back of the SUV, wife frowned upon that so I now drive an F150. 

Dakota Dogman

IH Scout. 

That's all you really need for an answer.  IH Scout. 

Ok, I guess we could add ... Jeep. Bronco.  Land Rover / Land Cruiser. Early 4Runners.

Once upon a time the SUV's were the off road kings.  Still are in my heart.  Not much in the way of hunting that is going to offend my '76 IH Scout II.

God Bless,

jeff88
1 minute ago, Dakota Dogman said:

Once upon a time the SUV's were the off road kings.  Still are in my heart.  Not much in the way of hunting that is going to offend my '76 IH Scout II.

jeff88

^  They were when they were based on truck frames, 4-runner still is.  They had "live" solid rear axles too.  Unibody based SUVs are more like cars than trucks.  Our '95 Explorer and '04 Expy were truck-based.  The Expy have a very clever independent rear suspension that went through the rear frame which gave best of both worlds.  Our '12 MDX is a unibody.  No really much of an off-roader.  

gordy

Driving a jeep wrangler 4 door. First vehicle that I ever owned that wasn't a pickup. Carry moose quarters in back. Just cover back with a tarp.Next rig will be another wrangler.

Myself and dogs love it. Slept many a night in back as well with wet stinky dogs. I am often wet and stinky myself.