• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
atticus

Tilting at windmills 2017

atticus

I look at my deer hunting as "tilting at windmills", defined in the online dictionary as:

2: To go on a wild-goose chase; to persistently engage in a futile activity.

The last time I filled my buck tag was in 1997...  I've shot at (and missed) a few since then, even passed on a spike or two in that time. Still, I enjoy sitting in the woods and watching the world wake up.  Tomorrow is opening day here in Massachusetts and sunrise will find me a few hundred yards behind the house, overlooking a vernal pool with several fresh scrapes .  My spot offers a commanding view of the pool.  I'll be on top of a small hill/esker, the wind is predicted to be just right. The downside is the sun which will be in my eyes at around 8 am.  I'll put out a scent wick near the pool and try some calling. 

Now that I think of it, isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome? Either way...

Gear is ready

IMG_0721-X2.jpg

Shotgun is sighted in 1" high at 25 yards

IMG_0722-X2.jpg

and, based on what I saw 3 miles from the house this afternoon, the bucks are still chasing does. 

IMG_0717-X2.jpg

WPG Gizmo

Very nice buck there Billy would look good on the wall

gaberdeen

Good luck Billy. Our muzzleloader season opens tomorrow also and I will be out looking for some meat for the freezer. I actually managed to shoot one doe last year out of this spot. Hopefully I can repeat.

PartridgeCartridge

While both of you are freezing your nutz off, I'll be snuggled up warm with my wife and Ollie. Just about the time your teeth start to chatter, I'll be pouring a really excellent cup of coffee and then jumping into my warm truck to watch the sun come up at the beach.

Have fun. Good luck.

atticus
59 minutes ago, PartridgeCartridge said:

While both of you are freezing your nutz off, I'll be.......

Wishing I was off today and hunting?

PartridgeCartridge
6 minutes ago, atticus said:

Wishing I was off today and hunting?

yep, that too.

polecat

Chasing rainbows we will.Leaving at 4:30 am.

gaberdeen

Good luck Bob. I’ll send you a text tomorrow.

Brad Eden

Good luck Billy. There's nowhere Id rather be than in the woods as the sun rises up and a new day awakens. When you hear that tell tale "crunch...crunch....crunch" any boredom or cold dissipates. There is nothing like a ruffed grouse in the hand but walking up on a deer down is a whole other experience, as you know. You gotta have a positive attitude. It can and will happen. Post photos of the buck...

PartridgeCartridge
18 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

When you hear that tell tale "crunch...crunch....crunch" any boredom or cold dissipates....

Until you realize that the buck of your dreams is actually a squirrel....

dogrunner
1 hour ago, PartridgeCartridge said:

Until you realize that the buck of your dreams is actually a squirrel....

Like this one. 

FC73D32E-5159-43CF-8D88-D615668DF3FB.png

atticus

Funny you should mentions squirrels...

I crept out to my spot 300 yards behind the house just before legal shooting light.  I left a sent wick on a limb by a scrape and near the pool, walked up to my spot and set up. 

The view

IMG_0725-X2.jpg

About 7 am I heard some rustling in the leaves behind me.  Sitting stock still and going through my usual pre-shot reminders--pick a specific spot to hit, squeeze the trigger, try to see the shot impact.....after much anticipation, I sloooowly turn my head and there it is--a big fat grey squirrel.  Fine, good job going through the reminders.

At 7:15, I hear rustling behind me again.  I listened for a minute or two then, without even giving myself time to realize the sound was, in fact,  slightly different that before, turned around to look at the squirrel--and looked right into the eyes of a buck staring back at me 15 yards away.  He was probably wondering why that rock just turned around.  I froze as he turned away and trotted off.  I gave him a couple bleats from "the Can" but he snort wheezed and was gone.  I don't know what he was or if he was big or not--I only saw the curve of his main beam--dark from rubbing pines.

Rookie mistake.  I stayed in my spot for 3 more hours and saw nothing.  I just came in for a bite to eat and then am heading back out there.

I am thrilled to have come that close!!!

Brad Eden

He hasn't gone anywhere. Saw a monster buck cross a road at 9am this morning. They are on their feet and moving right now across New England/northeast.

MAArcher

What's the make and model of that shotgun?  Is it a rifled barrel?

Good luck this season

atticus
28 minutes ago, MAArcher said:

What's the make and model of that shotgun?  Is it a rifled barrel?

Good luck this season

Marlin model 512, bolt action with a rifled barrel and a fixed 4x scope.  It holds 2 in the detachable box magazine and 1 in the chamber although I load with only 1 in the magazine as it feeds better.  This year its using 2 3/4 Hornady sabots because the local shops were out of the Lightfields I usually use.   I paid under $300 as I recall and have had it for years.  It is super accurate with sabots.