• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
atticus

Tilting at windmills 2017

gaberdeen

Good luck Billy. I didn’t even see a squirrel this morning. Polecat saw a few does. I’m back out in my spot now.

atticus

I'm back out too. Had a deer trot by nose to the ground (buck?) 30 min ago but too far and fast for ID.

Heck of a good start to my season. 

MAArcher

Cool gun!  Hope you knock down a bruiser. 

NCgrouse

Nothing like actually seeing a deer to make you want to get back out and try to see a deer! Go get em!

Why no treestand? I would think your view from about 15 ft up with a nice harness would help out at least a little.  Of course, I this after suddenly realizing that every deer I killed so far in my life has been from the ground. Beats me. I'll shut up now hahaha

gaberdeen
39 minutes ago, NCgrouse said:

Nothing like actually seeing a deer to make you want to get back out and try to see a deer! Go get em!

Why no treestand? I would think your view from about 15 ft up with a nice harness would help out at least a little.  Of course, I this after suddenly realizing that every deer I killed so far in my life has been from the ground. Beats me. I'll shut up now hahaha

I used climb a lot when I was younger and thinner.’ Now I’m fat and old and too scared to climb.

Brad Eden
2 hours ago, atticus said:

I'm back out too. Had a deer trot by nose to the ground (buck?) 30 min ago but too far and fast for ID.

Heck of a good start to my season. 

Yes, most likely. You are in a hot spot. How long does the Mass season last?

atticus
45 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Yes, most likely. You are in a hot spot. How long does the Mass season last?

Back in the house now--the only thing I saw after the running deer was a couple guys heading out of the woods.  It was a great day out there! The Season runs until the end of the year.  Shotgun for 2 weeks,  then muzzleloader till new years eve. 

Unfortunately, I wont get back out till Saturday.

tclprin

We share the same experiences and sentiments. My one and only deer was at a Quabbin hunt in Petersham....so long ago I forgot the year! Have had opportunities but nothing. Yesterday (opening day) was the same. BUT....be mostly retired can't get them at home...so back at it almost daily for the next 5 weeks...."accidents" happen!

atticus

Back at it this morning.  Been here a couple hours and nothing but squirrels and birds so far but a beautiful morning. 

Big Al

Enjoy the hunt, it's a special time.

I filled my tag Nov 20 so that's when my hunting ended.  I miss it already.  In Montana you can only shoot one buck a year.

atticus

Way too nice a day to go to the office so I took the day off (still have some work to do when I go in--are we ever really off from work?).  I'm now sitting in my spot. 

Its a beautifuly crisp morning and the squirrels are already giving me fits. I left a squirt of scent every 50 or so yards on my way to the spot but am disappointed to see the scrapes have not been touched in a while. 

Still, I had to shoo away a doe from the yard last night so the girls are still around. We'll see what happens. 

Either way--better than the 2 hour slog into Boston!!

Brad Eden

Cool....Im hanging in there with you Billy....are Does legal game? They taste good too.

Likely like ME, post rut, but deer are still moving and bucks still on the prowl a bit.

MAArcher
2 hours ago, atticus said:

Either way--better than the 2 hour slog into Boston!!

I just did the "slog".  I hate Boston traffic. I'm jealous you got out of it today.  Hopefully you'll be distracting me from the daily grind later by posting a pic of a nice buck on the ground.

atticus

Back in for a snack, a bit of work then I'll head back out. 

Does are legal but I didn't get a doe tag--never do. 

What do you guys think about rattling up here?  I know it works in the south and west but am not sure about around here.  I have a rattle bag and it sounds great when I use it, but I think It only helps me break up boredom.  I haven't tried this year--should I give it a go this afternoon?

Brad Eden

I say it can't hurt at this point, rattling that is. But I'm a bleat sequence followed by some grunts every 15 minutes sort of guy. (4-6 turns of a can or blows in a tube etc.)