• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
atticus

Tilting at windmills 2017

MAArcher
36 minutes ago, atticus said:

Back in for a snack, a bit of work then I'll head back out. 

Does are legal but I didn't get a doe tag--never do. 

What do you guys think about rattling up here?  I know it works in the south and west but am not sure about around here.  I have a rattle bag and it sounds great when I use it, but I think It only helps me break up boredom.  I haven't tried this year--should I give it a go this afternoon?

I don't know anyone who rattles around here.  I'm thinking its late in the game now anyway.  How about still hunting?  Three or four steps, then scan as far as you can see in every direction, repeat.  It's a great way to hunt if you're not feeling like sitting if you don't think you're in a high traffic spot.  I like to still hunt and try and get it to work out that I end up in a good spot to sit about an hour or an hour and a half before last light.  I use one of these cushions, light and comfortable, to sit wherever you want: https://thermaseat.com/product/d-wedge-series-supreme/  The owner of Thermaseat lives down the street from me and the factory is in NH.

Rethink the doe tag.  As for quality of meet nothing beats a yearling doe or button buck.  I have a big doe and a good buck in the freezer so I'm window shopping the rest of the year, looking for a yearling (not that I wouldn't shoot a trophy buck, over 200 lbs or 120 inches).  I'm wishing I chose one of the skippers that was with the doe I arrowed instead.  Its hard to feel proud checking in a 65lb skipper as compared to a 120lb doe, but man the skippers just taste so much better.  Natures veal I guess.

NCgrouse

Pay attention at 50 seconds, but especially at 1:45. I was using my Primos can wrong for quite a while. I changed and shortened the bleats to about 1 second long, and could see the difference. 

atticus

Nothing this afternoon.  Thanks for all the ideas, I did try 2 rattling sequences --for the hell of it-- spaced an hour apart; nothing.  It looks like I am using 'the can' correctly--by pure luck.  That was a good info since its my first year using one.

Saturday is the last day of shotgun and I'll be back out .  There is snow in the forecast here over the next week--that means still hunting with the old .56 cal TC renegade and a patched round ball.

Samuel Hoggson

Saw no evidence of a rut until the last week (Thanksgiving week) of rifle.  Watched between two and 15 does/skippers grazing every day out during the three preceding weeks.  Included a near albino (teensy bit brown on face and shoulder crease) piebald.  Saw it at first light, and thought it was a coyote at first.  Not one doe acted/appeared to be in estrus through rifle season.  Sometimes had them in front of me most of the day.  But surrounding woods were quiet every day - bad sign.  When I thought something was about to happen - girls looking over their shoulders - it would turn out to be another family group.    

Started seeing bucks on the 21st, three different spikes and two crotches since that date.  None were chasing a specific doe.  Little bit of grunting, but not very puffed up in the necks.  Stopped after the 24th (have never done muzzleloader....well, not yet).  Walking the dogs we found the first scrape just a week ago.  Couple days later another appeared just 50 yds from the pole barn.  So it's on, I guess.  

We had an abundant acorn crop, almost as many as last year.  They hit that preferentially, as always.  Transitioned to apples very late - as in just this week - and we had more than in almost any year I can remember.

Dang, no coyotes.  

Big Al

I've never heard the term skipper before.  I'm assuming it's a fawn? 

garyRI
7 minutes ago, Big Al said:

.......skipper before.  I'm assuming it's a fawn? 

Fawn of the year accompanying a doe. In my experience, if you have the tags, shoot the doe first & the confused skipper will hang around and you can shoot it too.

Samuel Hoggson
3 hours ago, Big Al said:

I've never heard the term skipper before.  I'm assuming it's a fawn? 

Yup.  They sure are clueless.      

atticus

Way too quiet out there this morning.  I didn't see my first squirrel until 8:25?  I sat for 2 hours, got bored and came in.  Chores now then will still hunt the afternoon in the falling snow. 

lee sykes
2 hours ago, atticus said:

Way too quiet out there this morning.  I didn't see my first squirrel until 8:25?  I sat for 2 hours, got bored and came in.  Chores now then will still hunt the afternoon in the falling snow. 

They'll start moving after the snow stops.  Sunday of course!