• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
atticus

Tilting at windmills 2017

MAArcher
On 12/28/2017 at 3:27 PM, atticus said:

I was able to get out Friday afternoon for a couple hours in the snow but nothing was moving.  Despite the temps I am determined to get out both tomorrow and Saturday afternoon on snowshoes for a couple hours each day.  The season closes Saturday  at 4:50PM. 

I’m in the same boat. I got out yesterday and missed a doe, twice, at last light.  She just stood there looking at me as I walked away because I didn’t have a third primer.  I’m going back tonight to se if I can get a third final chance.  Not that I deserve another chance after missing twice at 80 yards! :/

atticus

Well.... make that 20 seasons in a row I guess.

It warmed up to about 19 this afternoon, so I took the muzzle loader for a walk in the woods behind the house for the last couple hours of the Massachusetts deer season.  There was a light snow falling and the woods snow covered with trees still bent from the Ice storm last week.  It was tough to be quiet as there was a crust of ice a few inches below the snow.  I found a snow mobile trail which helped.

Some pics from the last fruitless but fun stalk through the woods.

IMG_0810-X2.jpg

IMG_0806-X2.jpg

All animals leave traces in the woods--even a hunter who walked up, apparently saw our house and turned back.

IMG_0808-X2.jpg

IMG_0809-X2.jpg

IMG_0807-X2.jpg

Snowmobile track that made things a lot quieter

IMG_0812-X2.jpg

It was a winter wonderland out there.  Just beautiful!

IMG_0811-X2.jpg

My stalk took me in a big circle out and back from the house about a mile or so all told.  I finished 250 yards behind the house at the vernal pool which has been my focus all season.  There were--of course--tracks there but they looked a few days old.  I unloaded my muzzle loader into the ground along the edge.  It always gives me a feeling of satisfaction when the old TC goes off at the end of the season--it means if I had gotten a shot, the TC would've at least gone off!

IMG_0814-X2.jpg

It was a terrific season for me; very successful, at least in how I gauge it.  I got out a bunch of times,  saw 2 bucks and was at least in an area where there were deer around.  If I had gotten one, it would have been icing on the cake.

As it is, the story of the buck I spooked opening morning (see page 1--I thought he was a squirrel)  has gotten a lot of laughs, which is almost as good.

On to May where I'll try turkey hunting again.