• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
gaberdeen

Live from the blind. 2017 muzzleloader season.

gaberdeen

Got settled in about 6 am. Good weather with slight breeze in the right direction for where I am. Now I need a deer to cooperate. My view this morning.

C6DB25C1-813B-45D4-86B5-90D85C5E775C.jpeg

PartridgeCartridge

Awesome. Looks like a squirrel paradise.

Is that over by that "Muchy place?

dogrunner

Those leafs look really crunchy. 

gaberdeen
9 minutes ago, PartridgeCartridge said:

Awesome. Looks like a squirrel paradise.

Is that over by that "Muchy place?

Yep. About a 5 min drive from home.

gaberdeen
1 minute ago, dogrunner said:

Those leafs look really crunchy. 

They sure are. Haven’t had any rain in a couple weeks.

polecat

Nothing Muchy

atticus

Updates?  

I have to work the next few days so I'll be living vicariously. 

gaberdeen

I hunted today doing drives with Polecat. We saw quite a few deer. Our shooting was horrific (at least mine) although I did discover my scope was loose. I need to go back up to the range. I had to quit around 2 to come home to pick my daughter up from school. He’s still out with the crew. Next week the NJ regular firearm season opens but I’m working most days. Muzzleloader continues the following week.

Virgil Kane

Our ML season is in 2 weeks. Sucks when they give us a chance to go out after a 7 day firearms season, tough hunting after that firearms season.

Picture looks like it's a funnel that is close to an edge of a field or thick timber . If it is I would put my stand there too!

Forgot to give us the lowdown on what you guys are using as far as smokepoles ?

Good luck

tut

In Va the muzzleloader season lasts two weeks and most folks will tell you the bigger deer have died by the time regular rifle season rolls in.  My personal preference if they should have a 3 day muzzleloader season and then have have a few days with no deer hunting before the regular rifle season kicks in.  Unfortunately in the last several years if you aren't muzzleloader hunting then you are truly missing out on the big deer.  I own an inline  and its damn accurate, but the owner of the land where I hunt truly believe bucks need to run does and breed does before you lay them down.  Considering the deer kills has been headed down for the last few years, there is no doubt they are killing way too many deer on public land IMO.  Course there is CWD and Hemorrhagic fever as well and HF has totally decimated the deer population in many parts of Central Va.  

gaberdeen

I shoot a CVA apex with Barnes HP sabot 250grain bullets. Very accurate when I do my part. I use 100g of Blackhorn 209 powder. My ground blind is built in the middle of a split trunk blowdown. I am well hidden. It sits on a hardwood ridge. No agriculture around this spot hence I believe the deer numbers aren’t great.

PartridgeCartridge
2 hours ago, gaberdeen said:

I hunted today doing drives with Polecat. We saw quite a few deer. Our shooting was horrific (at least mine) although I did discover my scope was loose. I need to go back up to the range. I had to quit around 2 to come home to pick my daughter up from school. He’s still out with the crew. Next week the NJ regular firearm season opens but I’m working most days. Muzzleloader continues the following week.

Use Loctite this time Gary.

gaberdeen
21 minutes ago, PartridgeCartridge said:

Use Loctite this time Gary.

You woulda thought the sporting good store would have! 

PartridgeCartridge
4 minutes ago, gaberdeen said:

You woulda thought the sporting good store would have! 

Most sporting goods stores have a "gunsmith" with the intellect of Quasimodo. Need I say more?

polecat
4 hours ago, gaberdeen said:

1 big doe went home and another was missed after Gary left. No mast crop this year and very noisy leaves.Hunting public land is tough but we always have a good time.It is more about hunting with friends and to take a doe with a muzzleloader is a trophy to us.Getting a deer to the vehicle can take up to 2 hours.Buck season next week then 11 more days of muzzleloader hope for some snow.Just picked two ticks off me since typing.My setup is also a CVA Apex with Barnes 250 grains and two White Hots.   Bologna happens