• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
polecat

Slug guns and accuracy

polecat

What works for you?

WPG Gizmo

H&R Ultra Slug Hunter in 20Ga with thumbhole stock shooting 3 inch Remington Accutip slugs at 1900fps or Winchester Dual Bond at 1800fps they hit the same spot at 100 yards.  This gun easily does 2 inch or better groups at 100 yards off the bench.  Yes it is a single shot but that is all I have ever needed and it is deadly accurate the gun is on the heavy side due to the 12Ga barrel only being bored out to 20Ga but hunting out of a stand that does not bother me.

Virgil Kane

Got a Browning BPS 12 gauge Deer/Turkey game gun.  I believe Browning stopped offering these back about 1995/96, they came from the factory with a 20" smooth bore barrel w/ rifled choke tube and extra full turkey choke.  From a bench and rifled choke tube installed I can keep the cheapy Winchester 2 3/4"  Foster slugs on the black of an NRA B-3 target at 100 yards w/iron sights.  The black of the B-3 target is 3.06 inches and with this BPS and cheap slugs I'm getting excellent accuracy. I have tried some very expensive sabot slugs and they shoot somewhat tighter at 100 yards and may give more range but where I use this slug gun I will never get a shot over 75 yards so I refuse to spend my money on them. Also tried Remington Slugger's, Federal Foster Slug , TruBall and Brenneke Classic Magnum but the Winchester Foster Slugs were the best of the cheap slug loads.    The BPS came with a scope mount but I love my iron sights and doubt I will ever put a scope on it.  This is one slug gun that I will never get rid of.

As far as slugs go.  My son always used Barnes Expanders but they are not made anymore.  To bad because they were the best preforming slug for deer that I have ever seen and I've tried just about everything on the market.  Fosters of any brand always work but might have limited range and accuracy compared to some others. 

Virgil

OldSarge

Remington 870 12ga with cantilever scope mount 23" full rifle barrel shooting 1oz Remington copper solid slugs. Clover leaf at 100 yards. Barrel was a combo package with the scope attached. When I lived and hunted on Ft. Campbell that is what I used along with my Encore .50 muzzle loader, depending on the area I hunted. Very accurate and solid set up with the scope on the barrel extension. I could take off the slug barrel and put on the smooth bore in seconds, and back again without losing zero.

shoot-straight

mossberg 500, fully rifled barrel, lightfield slugs, cheap 1x4 scope- 3" groups at 100 no problem. 

jeff88

Was looking for a smooth bore slug barrel with open sights for my 12 ga 11/87 SP a few years ago - was unable find anything that seemed worth the cost.  Heck, I could buy a used 870 SP with a slug barrel for less than just this barrel from what I found then.  This would be for E TX hogs which I have encountered frequently while woodcock hunting in December/January - figured I'd scout areas and return in Feb/March for boar to extend my hunting season.

Ideas for sourcing a used slugger barrel for the 11/87 SP are welcome!

dogrunner

My dad has a 870 with a Hasting barrel and a 1.5 x 4 scope and we shoot Win BRI sabots out of it, taken many deer with that setup. 

WPG Gizmo

Being that I hunt a Shotgun only zone no rifles for Deer but you can use them for everything else go figure I went through a lot of different guns and combo before I settled on the H&R.

870 20Ga with a Rifled barrel nice but I could not get the accuracy I was looking for I still have the 870 just with a 21 inch turkey barrel now and that works perfectly

11/87 20Ga Rifled barrel nice gun liked the way it shot but could not get past the plastic stock would have kept it if I could have found a wood version

Savage 220 with all the hype these gun get for being accurate I could never get it dialed in to what I was looking for I know people that will say a 3-4 inch group out of a muzzle loader at 100 yards is great but I know that you can get better plus it had the plastic stock. 

Why can't they stock guns with wood

I found a new Ultra Slug Hunter at KTP a few years back ordered the thumbhole from Boyds mounted a Vortex Crossfire 3x9 with the illuminated dot and this gun gives me everything I was looking for.  The only thing I would change on it would be to have a fluted barrel to cut down some of the front end weight this barrel is thick.

My buddy just got at the start of the season a 12Ga Camo Benelli SBE II slug gun he paid about $1400 for it very nice gun but he is only getting 3 inch groups at 50 yards.

Now if I had money to waste a CSMC RBL 20Ga SXS slug gun with a Leupold scope would be nice

Tim Frazier
7 hours ago, WPG Gizmo said:

H&R Ultra Slug Hunter in 20Ga with thumbhole stock shooting 3 inch Remington Accutip slugs at 1900fps or Winchester Dual Bond at 1800fps they hit the same spot at 100 yards.  This gun easily does 2 inch or better groups at 100 yards off the bench.  Yes it is a single shot but that is all I have ever needed and it is deadly accurate the gun is on the heavy side due to the 12Ga barrel only being bored out to 20Ga but hunting out of a stand that does not bother me.

My dad went 14 for 14 deer killed with one shot with the same gun until his passing in 2015  I will put them all in a playing card at 100 yards.  Still have it but use a .44mag Marlin now.  It's probably a more effective weapon truth be told.

topdog1961

I shoot my goose gun from when I used to waterfowl, a Mossberg 835. Each spring I put the shot barrel on for turkey, and late each November I put the rifled slug barrel with cantilever mounted scope on for our one week gun season. I put a cardboard box with sharpie dot on it out at 50 yards, lean it against a tree, watch the crosshair move around within approximately two inches of the dot, and pull the trigger on a cheap slugster round. The hole is always within an inch or two of the dot, I'm good to go. The gun shoots better than I do. I hunt with a Hornady SST sabot, more expensive but longer range. I determined years ago at the one time I took it to the range that it shoots the same as the slugster at 50 yards, out to about 100 yards, then only about 3 inch drop at 150, though typically I don't shoot that far.  That forearm sure is noisy though. If the deer gets close before you draw on them, it's tough to do without spooking them. 

Dakota Dogman

Got a Savage 220 this year.  Came with a Weaver scope on it that isn't half bad.  Even for those of us who are designated slug haters this is a pretty good gun.  Plastic. Ugly. But accurate enough for me.  They are a bit more money, but I subscribe to the "if it isn't accurate it isn't interesting" school.  I tried to convince myself to save $1-200 on a pump... but that bit of money on this size purchase just wasn't enough to change me mind.

God Bless,

atticus

Bolt action marlin 512 with a fully rifles barrels and a fixed 4x scope. I usually use lightfield sabots but this year hornady sabots. Never measured the group but if I ever see a deer within 100 yards It'll do the job nicely. 

PartridgeCartridge

Sighting in those guns isn't a whole lot of fun .

dogrunner
1 minute ago, PartridgeCartridge said:

No they hurt like hell, leadsled works wonders.

WPG Gizmo
28 minutes ago, PartridgeCartridge said:

Never had a issue with the recoil and I tend to do a lot of shooting from the bench with all my guns and I never notice the recoil while hunting.  Now for me shooting some full power 310Gr hard lead reloads in a 44 Mag Ruger SBH is pleasant but the same load in a TC hurts different recoil reaction.