FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
polecat

Slug guns and accuracy

Samuel Hoggson

Another Mossberg w/fully rifled cantilever bbl user.  Hated (feared) it with Foster type slugs.  With .50 sabot slugs recoil isn't bad, even with that cat-on-a-screen-door trigger pull. 

Re the .50 sabots, penetration is a strong suit, but doubt it makes a wider wound channel than a broadhead.  Killed NoWest CT deer for me, but not so quick unless CNS hit.  Always worried about having one drop on some Manhattan vegan activist's country home patio during cocktail hour.  A .300 Roy it is not.  

I figured out how to make a Mossberg trigger kinda/sorta better, but have no reason to use a slug gun here in ME.    

MAArcher

I had a Browning BPS with rifled choke that was the laser beam of death for a lot of years but a couple years ago it lost its mojo.  I now have a Benelli SBE and rifled barrel that seems to be a good replacement.  1” group at 50 yards with hornady sst’s.   Haven’t shot it at 100 yet.

polecat

I have an 11-87sp that I picked up from a UJ member here that is on its way to Ill. with a friend for a gun hunt.A rifled cantilever barrel was added and my buddy sighted it in with hornady. I have been messing with a left hand Savage 220 for a while really hoping it will shoot a great group at 100.It gets pretty costly trying all the ammo out there.Like Gary said about his "it wasn't working".Put a Nikon slug hunter scope with a 1 piece rail mount.I have been hearing some guns have a bore that may be off. This summer I visited with Tar-hunt custom slug gun builder and picked up a new design load called Schrifle 20 gauge 239 grain hollow point at 2150 fps. still no pattern. Another friend just picked up the same gun(lefty) and gets a less than 2 inch at !00 with lightfields which is what Tarhunt recommends in his 12 gauge guns. I will have my buddy try them in his 220 and see. Maybe it's the gun. A limbsaver recoil pad was installed before I fired the first shot they take the animal out of most guns.

Jakeismydog2

I read an article a while back in sporting classics about a guy who turns Ruger #1’s into 20 gauge slug guns. The accuracy they were getting was exceptional. 

Virgil Kane

Did anybody who owns an 11-87 ever try shimming the barrel with a piece of aluminum soda/beer can?  I never tried it when I owned one but heard that it works very well to improve accuracy.

Also, my back-up slug gun is an old Rem 1100 with a smooth bore barrel and iron sights.  I look at this 1100 as a 50-60 yard gun at most and it shoots the best with the old Brenneke Magnum slugs.  I don't care for the performance of those Brenneke slugs, many I have recovered from game were unscathed and could have been reloaded again and it's one of the few brands of slugs that I have recovered from deer.  I would say close to half of the Brenneke's I have shot at deer have been recovered where other brands ( except for the Remington Low Recoil Sluggers) have been almost 100% pass-through. That being said, accuracy is king and I remain loyal to the Brenneke's, at least in that old 1100, they do punch a big hole even if it is only in one side of the rib cage .

Virgil

garyRI

I had a H&R Ultra mag 20 that I couldn't get to pattern reasonably out past 100 yards. I now have a 20 gauge Savage 220 w/3x9 Burris scope that is a 2 minute of angle shooter out to 200 yards(4" spread on the 200 yards groups). In fairness to the ultramag I invested in a lot more Remington sabots to figure out the Savage. I also found the Savage to drop off a lot between 175 and 200 yards but i have the Burris' mildots figured out. My backup is a 20 gauge 870 with rifled barrel that I had the receiver drilled and tapped for Weaver mounts that is pie plate accurate at 100 yards with plain jane slugs. 

I am looking for 200 yard accuracy because sit over a large pasture where a 200 yard shot is a high probability. 

WPG Gizmo

The Savage 220 is a nice gun but it has it's issues one being you cant load 2 shells in the mag without it jamming up  on you at the worst time what happens is the rim of the top shell gets behind the rim of the lower and it jams the mag the solution is only load one in the mag.  The other issue is that while some guns shoot great others have barrel issues and don't group at all I had one of those guns and it gets very expensive and frustrating trying to get it worked out.  This gun also has a long bolt if you short stroke it you dont load the next round.

There are a few gunsmiths that are doing custom work on the 220 from changing the bottom plastic to a all metal housing and swapping the barrels to a heavier barrel threaded directly to the receiver getting rid of that ugly locking nut savage uses to building a custom gun off just the savage receiver but your looking at spending some serious coin to get this work done somewhere in the range of the cost of the gun plus a couple of hundred for basic work to cost of a donor gun plus $1000 or more for the high end stuff.

polecat
20 hours ago, garyRI said:

I had a H&R Ultra mag 20 that I couldn't get to pattern reasonably out past 100 yards. I now have a 20 gauge Savage 220 w/3x9 Burris scope that is a 2 minute of angle shooter out to 200 yards(4" spread on the 200 yards groups). In fairness to the ultramag I invested in a lot more Remington sabots to figure out the Savage. I also found the Savage to drop off a lot between 175 and 200 yards but i have the Burris' mildots figured out. My backup is a 20 gauge 870 with rifled barrel that I had the receiver drilled and tapped for Weaver mounts that is pie plate accurate at 100 yards with plain jane slugs. 

I am looking for 200 yard accuracy because sit over a large pasture where a 200 yard shot is a high probability. 

That is what I would expect from the Savage 220. 3 inch green tipped Rems?

garyRI
1 hour ago, polecat said:

3 inch green tipped Rems?

The owner's manual specifically recommends 3" Remington AccuTip sabots and that is what i use.

12 hours ago, WPG Gizmo said:

but it has it's issues one being you cant load 2 shells in the mag without it jamming up

Correct - mostly. I have two magazines. With one I can put a round in the chamber THEN insert the mag with two rounds. The other mag won't load with more than one shell so my standard procedure is one in the chamber and one in the mag. Just watching a shotgun shell cycle from magazine to chamber it is crystal clear that making a bolt action shotgun function like a bolt  rifle is an unnatural act that I am only involved with because I live in a shotgun only deer hunting state. That said in 50 or so years of deer hunting two shots has always been sufficient.