FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
hobbes

Good Hatch

hobbes

This field typically had about half this number of birds in it last fall.  Two white hens also, that both appear to be wild birds.  There is a farmhouse nearby, but they have no turkeys that Im aware of.

20171130_115335.jpg

20171130_115524.jpg

20171129_130524.jpg

20171130_115443.jpg

20171130_115151.jpg

Treerooster

Saw a white hen in MT last spring. She was with a tom and called her in with him in tow. She got away...he didn't. Saw her a couple of times after that too, all by herself though.

Nice to see a good hatch up there.

mccuha

I'm going to do some listening this weekend. I'm a little less than hopeful with our turkey no.'s this year. I've seen very few and have not seen a lot of sign when out on the property. Our property for whatever reason doesn't hold turkey until the spring. I as well try to not ramble around back there to much until the season actually begins.

MTRookie76

I saw a white hen last yr in the Roundup area.

tut
On 3/14/2018 at 2:36 PM, mccuha said:

I'm going to do some listening this weekend. I'm a little less than hopeful with our turkey no.'s this year. I've seen very few and have not seen a lot of sign when out on the property. Our property for whatever reason doesn't hold turkey until the spring. I as well try to not ramble around back there to much until the season actually begins.

Turkey's in the west seem to flock up in massive numbers during the winter and then seem to really spread out during the early spring and then really spread out later spring.  Not unusual back east to see flocks of hens and jakes together through the winter and the gobblers will be all together in bachelor herds.   By late spring the battles will have been fought and won (and lost by some) and the birds will be in their breeding groups.  Here in Va we will find anywhere from 8 to 10 hens with one or two gobblers and perhaps a jake or two.  Often the jakes will be out running around with other jakes and causing a bit of havoc.  The one you can often get lucky with is the satellite gobbler who wants to breed, but who has had his butt whipped enough he has been forced out to the edge of the territory.  He might not gobble except a few times, but he is the bird who will come in silently to the decoy or your call.  The reason he is silent is because he's afraid if he gobbles too much he will get the crap kicked out of him once again.   PS.  I love turkey hunting.  

mccuha
4 minutes ago, tut said:

Turkey's in the west seem to flock up in massive numbers during the winter and then seem to really spread out during the early spring and then really spread out later spring.  Not unusual back east to see flocks of hens and jakes together through the winter and the gobblers will be all together in bachelor herds.   By late spring the battles will have been fought and won (and lots by some) and the birds will be in their breeding groups.  Here in Va we will find anywhere from 8 to 10 hens with one or two gobblers and perhaps a jake or two.  Often the jakes will be out running around with other jakes and causing a bit of havoc.  The one you can often get lucky with is the satellite gobbler who wants to breed, but who has had his butt whipped enough he has been forced out to the edge of the territory.  He might not gobble except a few times, but he is the bird who will come in silently to the decoy or your call.  The reason he is silent is because he's afraid if he gobbles too much he will get the crap kicked out of him once again.   PS.  I love turkey hunting.  

This is true words.  The reason I don’t believe we have a good no. Of birds is that usually you will here in all different directions 3-6 birds. Not counting the ones that will be together gobbling. Also. The most hens I’ve seen is 2.  Usually we have a lot of them in the clover by now. I don’t know if the pigs and yotes are causing an impact on them