• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
shoot-straight

Eat hematoma- home treatment?

shoot-straight

My now 12 yo lab has terrrible allergies and lots of skin issues as a result. How he escaped the dreaded ear hematoma till now I'll never know, but he's now got a decent sized one. It's affecting about 1/2 his ear and is kinda moderate in size, compared to a bad one my last lab got. We did the surgical open and stitch procedure. Really want to keep him off the table if I can.

Anything I can do at home to help things? Obviously I'm dealing with the ear infection already. Ice maybe? 

bobman

I'm pretty sure it has to be drained first then wrapped and maybe a cone

I never had one put under by the vet when they treated it

get dog woods opinion hes a vet Im just a redneck

Dogwood

Ask your vet about doing a "teat tube" procedure.  Works great and no anesthesia needed.

shoot-straight
5 hours ago, Dogwood said:

Ask your vet about doing a "teat tube" procedure.  Works great and no anesthesia needed.

Thanks. Headed there monday

shoot-straight

Vet thought the hematoma was pretty small overall.  Decided best course of action was to leave it alone- provided I could keep him from shaking or scratching It and making it worse. 

As as of now, looks like it's a good move, it's much, much smaller today. 

Thanks for the help.