• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Remo

ND Fisher

Remo

Big male fisher trapped in the valley last night. The nearby farm had 13 barn cats this fall. Now they are down to 4.

DSC_4836

charlo slim

Result of a highly secret and illegal reintroduction, no doubt,  Carried out to save bird dogs from porcupines!!.:ph34r:   

That is one serious studmuffin of a fisher.

406dn

Wow.

UplandHntr

wow very cool animal. Is it for sale or? What does one of those bring? I assume they are somewhat rare by fur standards

Remo

I have no idea on $$ value. The trapper is going to make a flat wall mount. The season here is 1 week.

Canuck

Been seeing lots of fishers and pine martens this winter here in Manitoba. Fishers are pretty cool animals and move a bit like wolverines although they seem pretty slow in deep snow. Remo, no snow in your neck of the woods I see. 

Canuck

Tony Moore

Thought the females bigger than males?, seen a few never one that big, and heavy.

dogrunner

Cool animal, no loss really on the barn cats.  

Randy S

Trapping fisher and pine marten both belong on my bucket list. I'd rather have one of each of those than a wolf. 

Up North

Nice! I have only seen one in the wild, while bow hunting. It came through snarling like a Tasmanian devil.

MAArcher

I've had one almost crawl in my lap while calling turkey.  My friend said one jumped on a tom years ago while he was calling it in for his father.  It seemed the population around my way was growing a few years ago, but I haven't seen one in a while, but I see some tracks every year.  My father has one mounted, picked it out of a snow bank, must have got caught up by the plow truck.

I've read prime fisher is around $60 at auction.  

Peent

According to fisher best management practices, fisher in Minnesota need den trees of 18 to 25 inches in diameter.  So I am curious, where do they find these den trees in ND?  I see some large cottonwood occasionally in ND but not that many.  When I am setting up timber, I try to leave a few larger aspen across the project specifically for fisher habitat.    

Kre

$30-$40 for a good fisher.

I won't kill one for that kind of money.

Remo
On 12/22/2017 at 8:38 AM, Peent said:

According to fisher best management practices, fisher in Minnesota need den trees of 18 to 25 inches in diameter.  So I am curious, where do they find these den trees in ND?  I see some large cottonwood occasionally in ND but not that many.  When I am setting up timber, I try to leave a few larger aspen across the project specifically for fisher habitat.    

The ND river valley (s) have some old growth that diameter. 

fourtrax57
On 12/1/2017 at 9:40 PM, Up North said:

Nice! I have only seen one in the wild, while bow hunting. It came through snarling like a Tasmanian devil.

NoDak Tasmanian Devil!