2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Remo

ND Fisher

GuyO

Here’s what I’m 90% sure is a Fisher that one of my trail cams caught running across my yard.04E5C1B7-A224-4F98-8717-C41C097BDF7A.thumb.jpeg.7f701c651feba71766ac8a4bc6d5acb8.jpeg

Remo

Just an update on fisher in ND. A buddy who snares coyotes out in the cattail sloughs has snared 2 fisher this month. Few trees around. You wouldn't think they would be there nor getting caught in a coyote snare. After season closes any fisher caught have to be turned into NDGF and the warden said fisher are pretty much all over eastern ND. I suppose the cottontails draw them in.

grouse28
On 12/22/2017 at 9:38 AM, Peent said:

According to fisher best management practices, fisher in Minnesota need den trees of 18 to 25 inches in diameter.  So I am curious, where do they find these den trees in ND?  I see some large cottonwood occasionally in ND but not that many.  When I am setting up timber, I try to leave a few larger aspen across the project specifically for fisher habitat.    

Fisher are way more adaptable than most biologists realize.

Traditional thought was they preferred northern conifer forests and feasted on porcupines. They started to populate farmlands and brush lands of Maine many years ago.

PA introduced them to some remote areas of the state. "They will stay there". They are now found in most counties. They will live where the food is found. Wicked good predators on the ground and in the trees.

Beautiful animals.

D. Case

When I was a student at Michigan Tech in the late 70's,  there was a graduate student was studying fisher and had one on a tracking collar. The fisher went from Michigan's Keweenaw peninsula  to central Wisconsin and back in about 4 days, killing and eating several porcupines on it's way.  It covered an incredible amount of ground in a short period of time.

timberdoodletime

We have alot of them in Mass.  At one point i was getting almost a $100 a piece in fur money.

FISHER7.jpg

FISHER2.jpg

max2

Timberdoodletime ....... how'd that guy feel about being in the Hav-a-hart trap . :D

timberdoodletime

Sad part is that is all we can use in Mass.  The season we have is so dumb. Nov. 1st to Nov. 22nd.  Pelts are not even prime by that time. They are still blue. I release so

many after the season since we can still trap coon till Feb 28th so i end up catching a bunch and have to release them.  They do chatter when pissed off that is for sure.

Fisher12.jpg

downsized_0301141008.jpg

Tim Frazier

I had one run by me deer hunting in PA this past year and I mouse squeaked with my mouth to get it's attention...big mistake!  It spun and was maybe 10-15 feet from me before the charge ended!  I even had the rifle up!  Big onions for a little animal :-)

quailguy
On 2/19/2018 at 7:06 PM, grouse28 said:

PA introduced them to some remote areas of the state. "They will stay there". They are now found in most counties. They will live where the food is found. Wicked good predators on the ground and in the trees.

Beautiful animals.

We saw one down the road about a 1/2 mile a coupla months ago here in Columbia county, PA. Hardly deserted wilderness, but not very populated either. The neighbor saw one last year (2016) right near here she told us.

grouse28

Quailguy

Actually saw a road killed one along I-80 going to the Flyfishing and Wingshoting Expo.

Big Al

I have seen marten, weasel, otter, and mink but never a fisher.  Maybe one will show up in one of my trail cam pics someday.

Dakota Dogman

Got an old timer trapper buddy here in MN who always gets his 2 a year.  Fur prices haven't been great for several years.  Time to buy one if a person wanted one.

God bless, 

barna

My wife saw one in just a few miles from our house in central Ohio, put the information on the county face book page and other people reported seeing it as well.

Barna