topdog1961

Protest vegetarian?

topdog1961

I have a mid 30s nephew in law who's always marched to the beat of a different drummer. He seems the epitome of a "tree hugger". He has a degree in botany or something like that. He's worked on again and off again for state and federal parks doing research and giving tours...etc.  But grant money is tight now so he is living at home and seems to have joined the ranks of the chronically unemployed. He's always been a vegetarian to my knowledge and drives a little old car with a bunch of liberal stickers on it like "Live simply so that others may simply live".  But at a family get together yesterday, I was surprised to hear how much he enjoyed the two grocery bags of last seasons venison my wife gave her brother when I cleaned out the freezer for this season. Have you ever heard of such a thing?  It's OK to eat wild killed game but no other meat?  I guess with all the emphasis on organic meat, you can't get much more organic that wild killed venison. He even bought a used recurve and is going to take up trad bow hunting. I guess once you've tried properly processed venison, there's no turning back. 

Brad Eden

There is an increased interest in hunting for your own food in the locavore culture. It's a thing now. Many vegetarians have more issue with commercial livestock farming, processing meat for the masses; animal cruelty, chemicals in meat, etc. than they do with the perceived health risks associated with eating meat. (My SIL for instance...who is a vegetarian will occasionally eat my wild turkey burgers.) Dont get too excited about your nephew, much of this movement is a fantasy, and when he realizes how difficult it is to procure wild protein, especially with trad bow equipment, he will likely go back to stalking tofu.