Talon1

Garmin Alpha Question

Talon1

I finally got my new Alpha out yesterday for a hunt. I hang the handheld off of my Wingworks vest with one of the carabiners that Garmin sells. I noticed that when I was walking around, the unit will bump into my vest and when the vest collides with the touchscreen, it will change the settings. I locked the screen, but when the locked screen bumps into my vest, the unit beeps at me to alert me that the screen is locked. I know that I have the option to turn off tones on the unit, but am wondering if there is a way to turn the tone off for the locked screen and still keep the tone on for when my dog goes on point.

I am open to all advice on this issue as this constant beeping is extremely annoying, but I do like having the point tone option.

gjw

Hey, you could try what I use with my Alpha and my Wingworks.  I had a local shoe repair shop sew on a 1" wide piece of heavy material to form a loop on the left hand shoulder strap of the vest.  I then clip the Alpha thru the loop (I also use a lanyard that goes around my neck - for double security).  The unit stays out of the way, won't bump around and is easy to use the control buttons and can be un-clipped in short order.  Just a suggestion.  It works well for me.

Good Luck!

Greg

53022_1024x768.jpg

53023_1024x768.jpg

Dave Quindt

While I've struggled with finding a good way to secure my Garmin to my vest while making it easily accessible, I've been using one of these covers.  It has helped reduce the accidental screen bumps that you describe without impacting usability.

I sure wish Garmin would start putting the strap loop on the top of the unit instead of (or along with) the one on the bottom.  Would IMO result in an improved user experience. But there's a lot of things about that unit that makes me wonder how much user testing Garmin did, and with how much variety of user types.

FWIW,

Dave

BIGSP

Get a fenix watch.  I keep my alpha in my pocket of my wingworks and just look at my watch 95% of the time.

greg jacobs

That dang stap loop on the bottom also takes off the battery cover. Had the battery cover hanging on the lanyard and the handheld on the ground. Not Good.

dogrunner
1 hour ago, BIGSP said:

Get a fenix watch.  I keep my alpha in my pocket of my wingworks and just look at my watch 95% of the time.

Which Fenix do you have and how exactly does it work?

Cooter Brown
16 minutes ago, greg jacobs said:

That dang stap loop on the bottom also takes off the battery cover. Had the battery cover hanging on the lanyard and the handheld on the ground. Not Good.

Look closely at the bottom of the case--the strap loop is integrated into it.  it's in the orange plastic part of the unit.  You could get an inch wide strap in

The metal loop you seem to be using is the latch for the battery cover.

As to the OP, I've yet to come up with a good way to carry it.  I got a Gizmodo case but only used it a few times--the clip on the damned thing must be about 500 psi.  Takes two hands to get the thing off my belt so I can see the screen.  Can't figure out a way to clip it on and see the screen.  I've gone back to locking the screen and putting it in my shell pocket.

The Fenix watch would be cool, but for $600 I'll deal with the handheld!

greg jacobs
44 minutes ago, Cooter Brown said:

Look closely at the bottom of the case--the strap loop is integrated into it.  it's in the orange plastic part of the unit.  You could get an inch wide strap in

The metal loop you seem to be using is the latch for the battery cover.

As to the OP, I've yet to come up with a good way to carry it.  I got a Gizmodo case but only used it a few times--the clip on the damned thing must be about 500 psi.  Takes two hands to get the thing off my belt so I can see the screen.  Can't figure out a way to clip it on and see the screen.  I've gone back to locking the screen and putting it in my shell pocket.

The Fenix watch would be cool, but for $600 I'll deal with the handheld!

Dang. Sure enough. I'm still in denial on needing glasses. Lost that thing in cattails. Looked for a while then got the collar and started and stopped till I heard the beep. Lucky to have found it. My ears are as bad as my eyes.

Thanks

madduckdog

i just have the vivo hr and I can track my dog and get vibrated when on point .... that watch is just $248

madduckdog

I ware some safety glasses that have bifocals build in I have two pairs one in sunglass and one clear

Talon1

I bought the coyote leather holster that Wingworks sells and it works great. It carries the way that I want and the holster prevents it from banging the screen and changing the settings. Thanks for all the help and advice.

jah

I got a Fenix 3 a year ago and love it. Great tool with heart rate, altimeter, compass, gps and apps for any outdoor activity you can think of including golf courses, plus downloadable watch faces. Then i discovered the Alpha app this summer which took it to another level. I leave alpha in my vest pocket most of the time and just glance at the watch to see dog directions and distances. 

Craig Doherty

When hunting or guiding, I use the clip that came with the Alpha on the strap of my vest with a gear keeper attached to the Alpha. Haven't lost one yet or had it come apart and I spend a lot of time in the field.  When training I just stick the Alpha in my shirt pocket and use a neck lanyard.  

Bought a Fenix near the end of the season and have only used it a couple times for dog tracking seems to be an interesting and useful tool that will allow to keep track of the dogs with out unclipping the Alpha or pulling out of my pocket.  At the price it is probably overkill for a lot of casual hunters but considering the amount of time I spend training and hunting it should prove worthwhile.