• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
sxsneubaum

Fun Obedience Games with Pup

sxsneubaum

What fun obedience games do you play with your pups or dogs? Looking towards the off season. 

Hal Standish

Ever increasing and more complicated Place board routines based on retrieving and delivery of objects. Though really i do not beleive in entertaining me dogs so games as such are always based on the the core job they have learned during basic training and transition. 

studdog

I believe the more you do with your dog the better they respond to all training.    We had our FBEC cocker doing agility and obedience early on and I think it helped her overall development.

sxsneubaum
11 hours ago, studdog said:

I believe the more you do with your dog the better they respond to all training.    We had our FBEC cocker doing agility and obedience early on and I think it helped her overall development.

Exactly.  That's what I'm looking for. What type of things did you do?

dauber

I do placeboard drills that incorporate no retrieves, directional retrieves, bumper in mouth work, and watching others work.  I was just getting into the boards back then so the “pace” of our work was a little slow.  But this is where I began to “read” the drive-pack switch in the dogs and nowadays I quicken the pace and decisions for the dogs to sharpen the drive-pack switch. 

Cocker board games

studdog

Games depend on the of the dog and where they are in there field training.  Early on we had  basic obedience with other dogs and then fun agility course training.  after early retrieving was established some fun indoor retrieving games.  Also, there are a number of indoor intelligence games available.  Most anything you do with the dog will add value and fun as long as it doesn't contradict there fundamental field nature. For example, tug games or frissbee are not a good idea IMO.

Rick Hall

My favorite is a stop-to-flush/flight game we play with fly-off homing pigeons.  Beginning with a pup that understands stopping (whoa or sit, depending on breed) at heel when we do, which is pretty young at our house and before they have the chance to develop a chasing habit, we'll heel pup on lead, walk a little ways, stop and toss a pigeon to fly off and re-heel if need be, which will likely be the case.  Whether Pup gets it right or tries to break, we'll praise him to the heavens when he's at heel.  When he has it down, we'll start tossing a fly-off before stopping and again praise the heck out of getting it right, whether on his own or by use of the lead.  Shouldn't be long before he's anticipating tosses, wanting to stop on his own and hard to surprise with a bird.

Then we move off lead but still at heel and repeat the process, and when he has that down, we'll move on to trying to surprise Pup into chasing while he's off lead and away from heel in the yard.  All with gentle correction and effusive praise for correct response to keep it a fun game of showing just how clever they are that the last five of mine have greatly enjoyed.  Once in place, their stop-to-flush/flight response has carried over well to the field, but we'll also use it for refresher preseason or if they start getting loose while hunting.  Or just for off-season fun.