• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
Dogwood

Loyal Order of Dedicated Grouse Hunters

Dogwood
2 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Glad to help old Ken Szabo out despite no affiliation/relationship with Upland Journal. One of the few hold-outs to the good old days before the digital revolution. Funny, even this UJ BB is now what I term "traditional" discussion forums, having been launched (16 years ago!) before Facebook or Twitter or Instagram was even conceived ...When considering subscribing to the Grouse Tales Newsletter...those who haven't yet might also consider "subscribing" to the Upland Journal BB/Discussion Forums and take advantage of the UJ Contributing Member Donation structure...UJ Donation/Member Groups/Priviliges Topic

B|

Is it feasible to give paid memberships for UJ??  Would make a cool gift for some friends of mine.

Field Grade

I have diplomas and a few awards plaques gathering dust somewhere in the attic, but the only one I have framed and hanging on a wall is my LODGH certificate in my hunting/fishing room.

That probably speaks to the level of addiction to which I have fallen in pursuit of the infamous brown mottled mountain chicken.

A strange and mysterious pursuit that baffles most normal people, and understandably so.

Brad Eden
2 hours ago, Dogwood said:

Is it feasible to give paid memberships for UJ??  Would make a cool gift for some friends of mine.

UJ is generally free and a public forum, but I suppose they would need to register and pass the gauntlet of spam and troll obstacles....and then could be made Contributing Members via Sponsored Donations...or something like that.

Ruffs.N.Brooks

I just joined before the season kicked off.  Love the news letters and ordered a few things from the 'catalog'.  The certificate is hanging in my grouse room.  Planning on giving a gift subscription to my dad and brother. 

grouse28
12 hours ago, hayslope said:

Me as well.  Damn....being in George's group pretty much means you are....or are approaching.....old fart status.  With all the wild clown birds back in PA then, it's a wonder I ever paid any attention to grouse.  Lucky I had a few fellow nuts in the family that preferred to hunt the little brown crazy birds!!

You're right I am an old fart and proud of it!

whiskyjack

Just checked it out, looks pretty neat. I believe I will be joining.

Newsletter reminded me of the Flyfishing one that Gary Lafontaine used to put out.

Cool, nostalgic stuff with current info too.

Does it cover just Ruffed Grouse or do Sharptail, Spruce, Blues, Huns count?

Thanks for posting as I am always looking for more upland bird stuff to read.

Jeff

Cooter Brown
5 hours ago, whiskyjack said:

Jeff

It's essentially ruffs and woodcock.  But I'm sure he'd welcome letters and stories about other the other birds.

Dogwood
43 minutes ago, Cooter Brown said:

It's essentially ruffs and woodcock.  But I'm sure he'd welcome letters and stories about other the other birds.

Oh I doubt it.  It's exclusively grouse/wc.  Que the bagpipe's!

Quig
6 hours ago, whiskyjack said:

Just checked it out, looks pretty neat. I believe I will be joining.

Newsletter reminded me of the Flyfishing one that Gary Lafontaine used to put out.

Cool, nostalgic stuff with current info too.

Jeff

Looking at your location it would be interesting to see your hunting surveys 

whiskyjack
16 hours ago, Quig said:

Looking at your location it would be interesting to see your hunting surveys 

I'll join up shortly, get a feel for the newsletter then start sending in some stories.

We certainly have Ruffies in the Rockies along with the Spruce, Blues and Huns that can be found down low in the Foothills and out on the Prairie where I live.

Sharptails are found across the grasslands too. All great fun!