• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
grousehunter 61

1993 Toyota 4runner

grousehunter 61

I don't remember if I posted about this before ( one of the problems with getting old) any way I have been working on it all fall and part of summer. The motor was toast, somebody way over heated it., so after a new crank, cams, timing belt , new heads, 2 new pistons and rods, oil pump, water pump, and a few modification, it is running. This is a 1993 Toyota 4runner, it has over 200000, 00 on it, no rust, only one small dent on the drivers door and the interior is cherry, one worn spot where the driver slid out. I put headers on it and changed out the air intake. It need a new muffler as the one on it is original and a little ( make that lot ) of noise. When I was young, I liked the noise, now not so much. So far I have put 147 miles on it with no problems. Today I bought tires for it 17 inchers  with 2017 Toyota rims, looking good ( I think )

https://imgur.com/ft5SnVG

https://imgur.com/xmdk4fP

Ae3NsZlm.jpg

grousehunter 61

Forgot this one 

4bT9ieV.jpg

Harry

Nice....You have admirable skills. Good luck with it.

gunsrus

Nice .

Dogwood

Let me know when you sell it;)

Field Grade

Great job restoring that rig. It's a very capable SUV, I miss my 2004. It had almost 250K miles and held up to alot of rough road over the years. All the road salt finally got to it, and it needed new cat converters to pass inspection so I traded it for a 2010 Tacoma, which is a fun little truck but I am not sure it's as tough as the older 4Runner.

I miss some of the extras like the rear locking differential, which you rarely use but it can get you out of a jam when you need it.

jeff88
10 hours ago, Harry said:

Nice....You have admirable skills. Good luck with it.

+ 1

In the mid-80's my hunting buddy bought a 4-runner, it was essentially a pick-up with an suv over top -- on the 1st one's you could tell where they added the back end.  It was amazing as off-road ride and good enough on the road for long trips.  JW put well over 200K miles on it, believe he got close to 300k.  Seemed like you couldn't kill this truck.  Good to see this one being refurbished, looks good in the photo.

Harry
36 minutes ago, Field Grade said:

I miss some of the extras like the rear locking differential, which you rarely use but it can get you out of a jam when you need it.

The current 4Runner TRD Pro has it all. 

BlacknTan

I love it Rodger.. it turned out great!

I think that is my favorite generation 4Runner. I got tired of "The Heartburn of America" a couple of years back and bought a 4Runner myself. I have to say it is the best, most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. I've got the rear e-locker, but have yet to need it.

That's a great looking rig!!

Bloodhound

I was never a fan of the 4Runner...till we bought a 2008 4runner...what a great rig...put 178,000 miles on it and traded it last year...we got $11,000 in trade on a new (2016) 4Runner.  Hold their value and will do all the 4wheeling I need and reliable...regular maint and tires and that was all I ever did to the 2008.  Hope the new one does as well.

Congrats on your 4Runner...looks like a great rig!

henryrski

Not to be a wise ass, but why did you buythge2008 4runner if you didn't like them? Just curious.

grousehunter 61
On 12/5/2017 at 7:18 AM, Bloodhound said:

I was never a fan of the 4Runner...till we bought a 2008 4runner...what a great rig...put 178,000 miles on it and traded it last year...we got $11,000 in trade on a new (2016) 4Runner.  Hold their value and will do all the 4wheeling I need and reliable...regular maint and tires and that was all I ever did to the 2008.  Hope the new one does as well.

Congrats on your 4Runner...looks like a great rig!

It still has a few things that will need to be done but we are over the hard part. I tried the 4 wheel drive yesterday, put it on a steep hill and spun the back tires, Locked it the 4 wheel drive and it walked right on up. 

grousehunter 61

here it is with the new tires and rims .

KLEaShy.jpg

EPUMBDP.jpg

Dogwood

Drool

Bloodhound
On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 11:59 AM, henryrski said:

Not to be a wise ass, but why did you buythge2008 4runner if you didn't like them? Just curious.

My wife and I each have a vehicle, and it was time to replace her vehicle and she wanted a Toyota Rav4.  Since her vehicle was the newer of the two, it would also be our trip vehicle.  I am 6'2" and 275lbs...I don't fit in a 2008-ish Rav4, so the compromise was the 4Runner.  My lack of respect for the 4Runner was based on a friends older 4Runner (4 banger and a rust bucket) and my wife's friends older 4Runner (4 banger and plastic covered seats).  Both were cheap feeling and yes they had tons of miles on them indicating that they were reliable, but they were cramped and noisy and gutless.

The 2008 had a strong 6 cyl and some creature comfort and downhill assist and was a great improvement from the 4Runners I knew.

I don't know what years/era Toyota started building them better, but grousehunter 61 1993 4Runner looks a lot like my 2008, strong comfortable and well built in addition to reliable.