FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
topdog1961

Any welders among us?

greg jacobs

I'd go with the bigger lens than the one pictured.

And make sure he gets Certified.

uplandave

I have a Hobart model. Think it was about a little over $100. Good vocation to have as welders are in big demand

around here. 

VizslavsBird

Nothing wrong with that helmet.  However, I think I would be looking for a lens with a larger field of view.

topdog1961
12 hours ago, greg jacobs said:

I'd go with the bigger lens than the one pictured.

And make sure he gets Certified.

A little more research indiates you and VizslavsBird are correct. That helmet field of view is only 1.7 inches high. But name brand helmets with big field of vision are pushing $300 or more and don't really have cool graphics. I know safety and dependability are more important than graphics, but we're talking about a 16 year old here.  I can get made in China no name helmets with graphics and big field of view for a third that price that have overall good reviews. But those reviewing them seem to be mostly high school kids also and not professional welders. I'm still pondering. 

NECarson

Cool graphics are important at 16...

Airbrush work, or canvas for stickers can makeup for lack of cool graphics. 

Fur and Feathers

Good for your son! I have worked in industry for almost 20 years as a welder/plant equipment mechanic/millwright and our trades are always lacking for new recruits for decent paying jobs. 

I have a miller auto darkening helmet that I have been using for over 10 years. The head gear is comfortable, it's light weight, the lens is wide and it has a really quick reaction time. He will be wearing it daily for hours on end, you only get 2 eyes and flash burn is not fun. I would also encourage ear plugs, they even make them for welding. A hot spark down your ear will ruin your day. 

I just did a quick search, the Miller digital series looks comparable to what I have. And they have cool graphics. Mine has a now tattered and weathered american flag.

http://www.millerwelds.com/safety/helmets?gclid=CjwKCAiA6qPRBRAkEiwAGw4Sdt41-ncwEj_p9aLh5bWxUv6Eyq1T9-zYSUQdSnhTdeA-dXXqs6hF1BoCbE8QAvD_BwE

NW River Mac

Do not buy him a cheap helmet!  Would you buy him a cheap seat belt or rigging harness?  A helmet is a very serious piece of safety gear and the affects of flash show up long after the incident occurred. Have you ever looked at an old school welder's eyes?  I good suggestion above was to take him to the gas/welding supply store and work with someone who know.  There is more to a helmet than just the lens.

Rockdoc

I’d be very careful about lens quality and I’m speaking from personal experience. When I was a kid back in the 1960’s I tried to weld a crack in my motorcycle fender using an old Lincoln welder and “idiot rod”. I had to turn the amps so low that I was having trouble striking an arc. Finally, since the crack was only a few inches long I took the helmet off so I could see better and welded it. BIG MISTAKE!!! I still remember waking in the middle of the night feeling as if someone had poured sand in my eyes and I was partially blind from “sunburning” my retinas. I recovered but it was a learning experience I’ll never forget.

Steve

Craig Doherty

I don't know anything about welding but after a lifetime in education working with a lot of vocational students and Community/Tech college students -- I would recommend picking a Dollar amount you are comfortable with and give him the money towards whatever he wants.  If he wants something more expensive he can always chip in some of his own money.  

Birdcountry70

I've had a lot of training in welding and weld occasionaly at work. I used to work for a company that had a fabrication shop with around 40 full time welders,  we also had a retail store that sold welders and supplies. Most of the welders used Speedglas helmets which is what we sold in the store.  They had large lens area, all the bells and whistles and a big one, replacement parts which we stocked on site. The price was high though. I have a mig in the garage and have been useing a $35 cheapie without problems for my garage repair tasks for 10 years. As someone already said the suspension and hardware on the cheap ones probably won't last and the lenses are small but they seem to work fine.  My thoughts on what to buy... If I was wealthy i'd say get the very best you can afford, you get what you pay for, blah, blah, blah. I'm not wealthy so I would have to say a welding class is not a career. Get a decent one like the lincoln you pictured. If he needs and wants a $400 helmet when he is a full time welder, he will know exactly what he wants and needs. That would be the time to upgrade. 

uplandave
10 hours ago, Rockdoc said:

......BIG MISTAKE!!! I still remember waking in the middle of the night feeling as if someone had poured sand in my eyes ...

Been there, done that. Miserable feeling. Don’t forget to cover the rest of you when doing a lot of welding as you can get

a nasty sunburn also. Good luck, Dave

topdog1961

I ended up getting him this Jackson Safety helmet. It has a bigger shield than the Lincoln, was a little more but still reasonable. It is also a respected brand with good reviews. If he doesn't like it, they have a good return policy. 

image.jpeg

NECarson

Jackson is great stuff. 

mcgreg
On 12/5/2017 at 12:32 PM, walt lister said:

If you are in a manufacturing area that has a good sized welding shop, ask the foreman/supervisor if you could take your son on a tour since he is interested in becoming a welder. Welding was a part of my job as a Toolmaker/Jig&fixture builder and I would have been thrilled to show an interested kid around. A helmet recommendation from the guys in the trade would be worth listening to.

If i were you, would organize a 30 day or something apprenticeship program in Mr Lister's shop. A fountain of knowledge there!

MSchafer
On 12/5/2017 at 9:37 AM, topdog1961 said:

My 16 year old son has always struggled in school, mostly because he always hated it.  I’ve had to pretty much push, pull, and drag him to his Junior year.  But now he seems to have found his niche at a vocational high school, studying welding.  It’s one of the best high school vocational welding programs in the country.  His grades are good and his instructor says he is one of the few that are naturally gifted, he has “the touch”.  He says my son is working hard and is a pleasure to have in class, one of his best welders.  He had zero welding experience before school started in August, and I have none.  Now he wants an auto-darkening welding helmet for Christmas.  In looking on-line, I see a huge range of prices.  Amazon has them that seemingly have good reviews for as low as $45.  Yet some go for as high as $3-400.  An e-mail to his instructor asking for advice got the brief response that (like most things in life) you get what you pay for, and that Lincoln is always a good choice. But looking on-line I see that Lincoln helmets range from $75 to $400, for what seemingly are the same features, auto-darkening, solar powered helmets.

If any UJer’s have welding experience, given his circumstance, any recommendations?   

I have a similar son in my house generally a great kid but school is not his thing nor was it mine, I was asked to leave high school and given the diploma on my way out only thanks to a vocation program. Our district is dropping auto body and adding welding in its place I'll bring it up to him he will only be a freshman . I don't usually buy the low end when it comes to tools and especially when its a safty device, I figure I can always sell it for at least half what I paid if it comes to that later.

I took a welding class a few years ago through the local artist guild and really liked it also took a forging class that was really a blast, You might want to look into taking one give you guys something to talk about.