• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
topdog1961

Any welders among us?

Clueless1
On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 2:55 PM, MAArcher said:

I'd go with a cheap Harbor Freight one and tell him when he knows for sure what he want's, you'll get it for him.  

I would take the money you save and get him a SCUBA lesson.  If he likes it, I'd get him enrolled in an under water welding program.  From what I understand, if he can be disciplined, work hard and perform saturation diving, he could be wealthy and retired before he's 30.

Know a 'kid' who did this.  Was working all over the world.  His soon to be wife didn't like him being gone so much.  He quit doing the underwater welding for her.  He was making 6 figures as a 21-22 yo kid right out of school and seeing the world without a chance of being shot. 

He still does well but I just think "Man what an opportunity lost"  Don't get me wrong, I and most would do what love makes us do, but this kid had the world by the proverbials.  I still hope he gets back to it.  

topdog1961
21 hours ago, Clueless1 said:

Don't get me wrong, I and most would do what love makes us do,   

Yes, most of us would…and have.  This thread is drifting so I’ll throw in that at only 16 and a Junior, I’m apprehensive that he is already too serious over a girl.  She’s 18, graduated last year, and is a very pretty and quiet girl. He’s adopted so I can’t take any credit for him being a handsome young man.  He also inherited a learning disability from his birth father, ADD.  But kids with ADD tend to do well with tasks that require a high degree of concentration and hand eye coordination, like video games or in his case welding.  The tough love necessary to hopefully keep him on the straight and narrow and get him to do his schoolwork and pass over the years has put a lot of strain on our relationship.  Yet I have to balance my apprehension about him spending too much time with this girl with what the alternative could be. About a year ago he was starting to hang with some of the hoodlums in town.  He lied to us about where he was and ended up at a party and got an underage consumption charge.  It was dropped because it was hearsay evidence but it was clear he was potentially starting down the wrong path despite our best efforts.  

Now I’m worried he spends too much time at this girl’s house, but I have to consider that alternative. Her family lives only about one mile away on our country road.  They just moved into the area a year or so ago after her dad retired with 21 years as an Army lineman and took a job in management with the local power company.  He recently took crews to Houston and Florida after the Hurricanes.  She has a 12 year old sister and they seem like a good family.  Her mom keeps in close communication with my wife about our kid’s whereabouts.  Yesterday my son was there before 8 and helped her father cut firewood all morning and then he baked and decorated Christmas cookies all afternoon with her mom and the girls.  In the evening they delivered them to us and other neighbors. If we asked that of him all we would get is teenage boy attitude, but he’ll do anything for her family. He’s been dating this girl for about 8 months now and spends so much time there I think her dad considers him the son he never had.  My son is even helping him remodel their house.  I’ll admit I’m jealous that her father is teaching him skills he would never let me.  But all in all I guess having him spend quality time with what seems a good family just down the road is better than where we were a year ago.  And if he keeps up the good work in welding class and gets certified, finds a good job, and ends up with the nice cute girl down the road, he could have done a lot worse.  

Sorry for the long post, but raising kids can sure wear on the nerves……..        

MAArcher
58 minutes ago, topdog1961 said:

My son is even helping him remodel their house.  I’ll admit I’m jealous that her father is teaching him skills he would never let me.  But all in all I guess having him spend quality time with what seems a good family just down the road is better than where we were a year ago.  And if he keeps up the good work in welding class and gets certified, finds a good job, and ends up with the nice cute girl down the road, he could have done a lot worse.  

Sorry for the long post, but raising kids can sure wear on the nerves……..          

I think that's a common teenage boy thing.  I think it's easier for a kid to help out someone new rather than their own family.  They get positive reinforcement without any established family hangups.  I've wondered if its genetic programming.  I'm told all the time how polite and helpful my son is.  My wife and I just look at each other sideways, knowing what he's really like at home. ;)

Clueless1

My son has ADD as well.  We are struggling with it.  It's tough for him to make friends, and when he does it seems to be the wrong crowd.  As you have mentione Topdog, he does very well with video games.  It's amazing he can sit there for an hour without knowing anything going on around him, but ask him to do the slightest task that he's not interested in and instead of getting it out of the way he struggles with keeping focused for 5 minutes.  

Of course, we get the same comments about my teenage son as well.  "He's such a joy in class" was the last straw.  We had to go ask that teacher if she really meant it cause he's not a 'joy' at home!!  Parents comment all the time about how nice he is.  WTH???  Where is that with me?:D

Birdcountry70

Cleuless1, I see a lot of the same with my 12 year old. Other parents and teachers often comment on how polite and quiet he is at school etc. With my wife and I everything gets nothing but resistance and complaints. I think its just the way it is with some kids. They have to push the boundaries with their parents for so unknown reason. Its always been that way I guess. It bums me out that he doesn't want to learn anything from me that I could offer. Our other son,  while sometimes very stubborn,  doesn't seem to have that attitude.  Kids. 😕 

topdog1961

It's kind of a relief to see I'm not the only one with these teenage boy concerns. I'm hoping he stays on the straight and narrow and grows out of it.