FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
aoa

Water Bottles

aoa

Any thoughts on the preferred water bottle for carrying in the field?

dogrunner

I use old dish soap bottles or syrup bottles you can get any size. 

Flyline

The green Gatorade bottles you see on the sidelines of every football team have worked perfectly for me for years. You can pick 'em up at any sporting goods store. I like them mostly because of their one way top. One hand squeeze. That's for the dogs. For me, Nalgene is the only way to go.

kgb

3 years ago or so I bought some water bottles from Tallgrass Gordon Setters that are one-way squeeze capped. Wound up buying 2 puppies from them this summer, so be careful with your purchases--you don't know where they may lead. 

I'd been using a bota style canteen with a pull-top cap like on a syrup bottle along with a smaller round bottle using the same type top. Those can be closed by the dog and are easily re-popped but the one-ways don't have such a problem. What I did find was slight leakage when one of these latter style wound up horizontal in my vest and were somehow squeezed.  Not a big deal, by any means. My problem has been losing two of them from my vest. Somehow they've worked out as I maneuver through the woods, both from the left side, where I'd  never carried a bottle before. 

DonT
4 hours ago, OH Grouser said:

Depending on temps and length of the hunt, I'll typcally carry one or two of these 20 oz Polar Bottles...water for both me and the dog.

I also use the Polar bottles in your Q5 Upland vest.  Recently I add 2 of your water bottle holders and these bottles fit nicely in them and in the rear wallet pockets.  Typically I carry 2 or 3  24 oz bottles for the dogs and 1 20 or 24 oz for myself.  I have used them for 2 years about 4 days a week and still look like new.  They are insulated and made in USA,  put a couple of ice cubes  in them and water will stay cold even with temps in the 90s.  I use different colors, orange for the dogs and white for me.  There are 2 different caps,  a sports cap and a zip stream, both work, the zip stream doesn't leak when it's left open.  Enjoy, Thanks for turning me on to the water bottle holders.  

Chukarman

WingWorks offers nice 54 oz. soft sided bottles with pop up tops. I use them and like them.

See them here...WingWorks soft side water bottles

NVChukarChaser

I use the Nathan 24 oz bottles. I found they fit perfectly in the bottle holders on my Q5 vest. I like them because the have a small opening with a soft rubber insert in case you are drinking on the move and a larger opening in case you want to add ice and are easy to fill. They are also very reasonably priced at around 8 bucks a piece so I have a handful of them laying around. You can also just throw them in the dishwasher which is great. They also have some bright colors that I like. Being in the desert these are supplemental to my 100 or 70 oz camelback depending on the season.

https://www.nathansports.com/littleshot-hydration-bottle-4313tn

NECarson

Big (1.5L I think) Ozarka bottle for the dog, Nalgene/Yeti/Fifty.Fifty for me. 

I own way too many water bottles... 

Moomps

I have a couple of Squeezable Glass Signature Water Bottles that I got off Amazon.  They are easy to open with my teeth so I can give the dog (or me) a drink without putting down the gun.  They are easy to clean and have lasted a couple years with no sign of wear or any cracking.  They are also free of all the crap that you don't want in a water bottle.

aoa

Very helpful advice. Thanks much.

Wildcat
On 12/6/2017 at 12:47 PM, Chukarman said:

WingWorks offers nice 54 oz. soft sided bottles with pop up tops. I use them and like them.

See them here...WingWorks soft side water bottles

I like the wingworks bottles they sell too. Hold lots of water for us folks that hunt semi arid fields.

WMassGriff

I'm cheap so I just use 24oz water bottles and keep refilling them for the dog. I use a aluminum one for myself and they balance well in my strap vest.

Hub

I am cheap too.  I use Gatorade bottles until I lose them.

Jack L

Very cheap.  I buy 2 of the pull top 16 or 20 oz bottles at the gas station every year and refill them till the end of the season. Then I throw em in the recycling bin and start over the same way next year.