FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
mccuha

Christmas present

mccuha

What to get a upland hunter for around $100 or so that has everything. Need Christmas ideas. 

Jakeismydog2

If not a reloader: a case of quality shells. 

If a reloader: bags of shot

cockerfan

My parents have a lot of points on a cabelas card and always want me to put together a wishlist on cabelas website every year. It seems pretty artificial since I'm putting together my own list. But, I always look for items that will last for years and get regular use. I figure it will remind me of the gifter more often,  and carry more sentimental value. 

Last year I got a leather shotgun shell belt (among other things). I use it at least twice a week while training dogs, and it should last for many years.

This year, a leather slip lead is on the list...I expect it to get used a lot and last for years. 

Maybe that'll at least get you in the right direction...

Brad Eden

If he has everything he likely has all this, but here's some suggestions.

Peet Boot dryer....Those are on my wish list...

Poultry Shears for processing birds

Shooting glasses

Gift certificate from Gun Dog Supply

Dogwood

-Peruse Etsy for cool upland stuff ; vintage plates, prints, knives.  Type in phez, grouse, whatever.  You find some amazing stuff.

-some UJ swag ;).  A years  contributing membership .

KerryLuft

Goatskin gloves, merino wool underwear, SmartWool hiking socks, gift certificate for a shooting lesson or rounds of clays/skeet/trap ...

mccuha

Great ideas. Peer boot dryer may be a good idea  I don’t even think he has that

Remo

Jim McCann, who used to stop by here sells stunning wildlife prints from Alaska. If interested in wildlife art then check him out. I bought one his flying sharp-tail prints that is terrific.

mccuha
19 hours ago, Jakeismydog2 said:

If not a reloader: a case of quality shells. 

If a reloader: bags of shot

These would be a great idea but. My fil bought out a sporting goods store reloading supplies 25 or so years ago. He has more shot of different sizes than 3 or more people would shoot up in a life time.  I bet he has a couple tons  seriously.  That’s why he’s so hard to buy for.  When he would run across a deal like that he just bought it no matter the qty.  he literally has everything 

Marc Ret

A sizable properly framed and matted photograph of a favorite dog/special hunt. If you had more time, an artist's rendering of the same images would be my suggestion. 

Cooter Brown

If he's a reader look through the couple of recent threads on upland books.

With the budget you have you could pick up a fair number of sporting books of all types from Abebooks.

Don Steese
5 hours ago, Remo said:

Jim McCann, who used to stop by here sells stunning wildlife prints from Alaska. If interested in wildlife art then check him out. I bought one his flying sharp-tail prints that is terrific.

I miss Jim's posts.

NECarson
On 12/6/2017 at 6:49 PM, Marc Ret said:

A sizable properly framed and matted photograph of a favorite dog/special hunt. If you had more time, an artist's rendering of the same images would be my suggestion. 

Painting wouldn't fit into the budget, but still drawing would. If it can be a little late. 

terrym

Never go to deer camp without my Peets boot dryer. Perfectly dry and toasty boots every morning. 

After about 35 years my SILVA compass packed it in. The needle rusted and filled the oil with crap. So a compass is on my list. If it lasts as long as my last one it should get passed on to my grandkids after I'm gone. Assuming I ever get grandkids. 

duluthUPLAND
On 12/6/2017 at 6:49 PM, Marc Ret said:

Similar to this but a large canvas wrapped print of high-quality hunting photo. Resolution and file size important so this may be hard to do without the recipient being involved but if you can get your hands on a high-res photo that he or she like this would work.

I've used both Amazon and Wal-Mart to have these done.