FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
bill

West nile viruse

bill

Just read on the Michigan Dnr website that 5 cases of West Nile Virus has been confirmed in 5  Ruffed Grouse in The  UP this Hunting season (doesn,t sound good for ole Ruff)

vabirddog

Nobody knows if there is any actual impact from WNV to grouse that I am aware of. Grouse are exposed, that is for sure but any impact is undetermined as of yet in anything I have seen.

It seems the next step is monitoring grouse condition and mortality while mosquitos are active, especially young grouse.

Wisconsin

IMG_2800.JPG

oak stob

The nature of the ruffed grouse limits determination of death in the wild by WN.

It has been long known that WN is present in ruffed grouse, the first I recall discovered was in NY in what, the 90s?

I would be most concerned with whether WN simply weakens the grouse moreso than causing outright death.

In areas of the range where the bird’s populations have declined, such issues as WN could negatively affect the population, especially as regards reproduction or winter survival.

In other areas of the range where the grouse popualtions are sufficiently high to make an issue such as WN more absorbable then, it is less of an issue and more of a pothole.

In portions of Michigan therfore, WN would be less of an issue.

Could there be a multiplying effect if WN sides with a UGL grouse cycle low point?.....probably but the saving grace remains the viability of individual populations and their ability to absorb plain old bad luck.

As there is no grouse cycle in the appalachians, WN simply may be and likely does accentuate the downward trend delivered by habitat, weather and, predators.....avain, nest and Man.

Ignore or discount WN as needed but, in some regions, that leads nowhere good.