• Announcements

• Brad Eden

WELCOME NEW UJ MEMBERS   06/25/2017

It seems the word is out and UJ is enjoying a steady stream of newly Registered Members. Welcome to all of you, and we are all looking forward to your positive participation. I strongly suggest you review the Board Guidelines that have been in place since 2002. The most significant thing being that UJ is a NO POLITICS BOARD. LInk:  UJ BOARD GUIDELINES   Also UJ stays afloat mainly through Member Donations. Once a Donation is made you are placed in the Contributing Member Group with extra Priviliges. I am getting very few new Donations so hopefully this will spur that on a bit. Link:  New Members/Donations/Priviliges
Irishwhistler

REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR

Irishwhistler

Aye Mates,

Let us all take a moment today to remember those valiant souls lost as a result of the attack on Pearl Harbor. ¬†Freedom is not free. ūüáļūüáł

With utmost respect,

Mike

Crazy Horse

Too soon we forget. May they rest in peace.

Virgil Kane

Thank you Irishwhistler for bringing this up.  Not one mention of this on the news this morning.  One of the most important events in the history of the modern world and it's swept under the rug for being to old, outdated and few survivors still alive. What a shame.

God bless Bud Mittelstadt, personal friend and survivor who was on the USS Maryland during the attack and sadly passed a few years ago.

And God bless all those that perished that terrible day.

Virgil

Jacquidog

When I was a kid growing up Dec 7th was close to a national holiday.  How did we get to now?

vabirddog

Never Forget. W.S. "Bill" Trimmer,  USS Pennsylvania

VizslavsBird

Never forgotten.

boutdoors4

Plan on paying my respect to those still on the Arizona next month when in Hawaii.

jpari

Being a retired teacher, I would always speak to my classes about Pearl Harbor on this day.  I would give them extra credit for researching questions about the attack that I would give them a week prior and hear their answers on Dec. 7.  You would be surprised how many kids in the middle school years that have no idea what the attack was about nor had any prior knowledge that it even took place.

Grifish
22 minutes ago, jpari said:

Being a retired teacher, I would always speak to my classes about Pearl Harbor on this day.  I would give them extra credit for researching questions about the attack that I would give them a week prior and hear their answers on Dec. 7.  You would be surprised how many kids in the middle school years that have no idea what the attack was about nor had any prior knowledge that it even took place.

Saddened, not surprised.

Irishwhistler
37 minutes ago, jpari said:

Pathetic failure of the American educational system or systemic and strategic targeting of the minds of American youth.  Either way, an epic failure.

Irishwhistler

NECarson
4 hours ago, Virgil Kane said:

Thank you Irishwhistler for bringing this up.  Not one mention of this on the news this morning.  One of the most important events in the history of the modern world and it's swept under the rug for being to old, outdated and few survivors still alive. What a shame.

God bless Bud Mittelstadt, personal friend and survivor who was on the USS Maryland during the attack and sadly passed a few years ago.

And God bless all those that perished that terrible day.

Virgil

But it's not news... 

Not that much of what is being reported on is either. 

Journalism is barely clinging to life. 

Coalman
4 hours ago, Virgil Kane said:

Not one mention of this on the news this morning. 

Proud to say our local NH ABC affiliate WMUR ran the story in the first 5 minutes of the 0600 news. They made mention of at least two places holding memorials one being the veterans home in New Boston.

It isn't up to the media to remind us. It is up to us to keep the story alive like Irishwhistler did. :)

topdog1961

Yes indeed, a day that should live forever in Infamy.  But I am beginning to wonder. 

I just finished and highly recommend Steve Twomey's "Countdown to Pearl Harbor: The Twelve Days to the Attack."  It highlights the misconceptions, failed assumptions, miscommunications and downright bungles that led up to the attack. 

Some good books have been written about WWII recently, and several have been turned into movies. Think ""Unbroken". For that I am grateful. But in reading these books written for a new generation, it's often disheartening to see background events that used to be common knowledge have to be explained. 

spinster
3 hours ago, Irishwhistler said:

You would be surprised how many kids in the middle school years that have no idea what the attack was about nor had any prior knowledge that it even took place.

Shocking really.

Came across this article that you all might find of interest:

After 76 years, 100 killed on USS Oklahoma in Pearl Harbor attack identified
By AUDREY McAVOY, Associated Press

https://www.click2houston.com/news/national/after-76-years-100-killed-on-uss-oklahoma-in-pearl-harbor-attack-identified

Irishwhistler
16 minutes ago, spinster said:

Shocking really.

Came across this article that you all might find of interest:

After 76 years, 100 killed on USS Oklahoma in Pearl Harbor attack identified
By AUDREY McAVOY, Associated Press

https://www.click2houston.com/news/national/after-76-years-100-killed-on-uss-oklahoma-in-pearl-harbor-attack-identified

Spinster,

Check ye quotes Mate, I didn't say that which you have cited.

Mike