FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
terrym

Targets with a field gun?

terrym

I am only a casual sporting clays shooter. Try and get out on Thursday nights in the summer mostly to tune for hunting. I use a 12g O/U but am thinking I should just use what I carry in the field. 90% of the time that would be my 20ga Citori Feather Lightning. Not what anybody would think of as a "sporting" gun. 

So, how many here use thier favourite field gun as opposed to a specific 8lb 30" clay buster? I have no intention or spare time at this stage of my life to get seriously into SC. Someday maybe but not right now. 

Greg Hartman

I have a couple dedicated target guns that would require wheels to get into the field, but more often than not I shoot one of my bird guns at targets - mostly just for fun, but also having the side benefit to helping to develop muscle memory, etc, with the gun for the field.  Yeah, I might do a little better with a real target gun, but this is supposed to be fun.  If it's not, what's the point?

On the other hand, if winning in serious competition is the goal or the aspiration, then a full-race target gun is needed because you will be shooting against people with great skill using such specialized equipment.

steveziv

I use all of my shotguns for target shooting; field guns and sporters, O/U's, side-by's and semi-autos.  If I want to break as many targets as possible I use my 8 lb target gun but its usually in the rotation with the other because I enjoy shooting them all.

kgb

No sporters in my safe, bird guns get the call. Closest option is a 20ga 303 Beretta because it's got choke tubes, although when shot at SC I used one choke throughout. I am not competitive at SC. 

KerryLuft

I shoot a fair amount of registered birds but I make sure that I transition to the bird guns/duck guns before hunting season opens.  By Oct. 15, all of my dedicated target guns are fully cleaned and in the back of the safe ... they'll start coming out again in March.

Grifish

Love shooting them all. 28” 12ga Sterlingworth, 20ga Sterlingworth w/26” tubes, 34” Rizzini/SIG 12ga and now a 30” Rizzini 28ga field gun. Each are fun and even though I have become a better shot, (Mainly from the kindness of folks on this board) I will never be considered a competitive shot. But, do have fun.

dogrunner

I shoot 4-5 different guns from Jan- Aug on targets. When I head west to hunt 2-3 go with me a 390 Super sporting a 682 Gold and a Ruger sporting clays all 30" guns. In the woods I usually hunt with my Ruger 28 gauge which also gets some target work in late summer. I say start shooting your 20 gauge in August to get the feel of that gun for hunting if that is what you use. 

Jakeismydog2

Just make sure your not beating yourself up and giving yourself the flinch.

stripersonfly

My only warning would be if you start increase your shooting volume, you may want to reconsider using a field gun, or use reduce recoil loads.  I see way too many shooters who have developed a nasty flinch.  There are also way too many gunsmiths making a living installing release triggers to address flinch issues.  If you want to shoot a field gun, consider reloading and shooting some lower recoil shells (i.e. 3/4 oz of lead for 20 gauge).  I shoot a lot (Unfortunately my skills does not reflect that).  I have migrated to 1 oz of lead, and now 7/8 oz. of lead when I shoot my Beretta Sporting clays gun.  All in an effort to keep recoil at a minimum.   

jpari

If I am shooting targets, 95% of the time I will use my Beretta A400 Xcel Sporting.  At SxS shoots, obviously my SxS.  Only on rare occasions do I use a field gun for sporting or 5 stand.

Snipeaholic

For the fall I pull out the field gun and stretch it out on the wobble trap & skeet field. Once snipe close in mid-February I put it back in the back of the safe. I shoot targets all year & my dedicated target gun never cycles to the back of the safe. Every now and then I will pull something out and shoot a few targets to take a trip down memory lane. Usually a field gun of a deceased friend or family member.

Salmo

I shoot sporting and five stand almost weekly year round but just for fun. I have a heavy o/u set up for clays but can match or exceed my admittedly embarrassing scores with that gun using any one of a number of light, well balanced side by side field guns in 12 or 20 gauge. 

Mike Connally

These days, almost all of my clays shooting is done with a Beretta 686 20 ga bird gun. It’s a two barrel set. I use the 30” barrels for targets and the 26” barrels for birds. 

AF1175D5-C563-4534-9D04-E08C47239F08.jpeg

Flairball

I only own field guns, and have no issue shooting sporting clays with it. While some sporting clay grounds do set up some challenging targets, they are nothing that can’t be broken with just about any gun. My go to gun for everything is my 20g Browning White Lightning w/ 28” bbl, but I’ve been falling back in love with my 20g Beretta SxS w/ 26” bbl, and I’m planning to shoot sporting clays with it soon. In fact, I’ll shoot my 28g at sporting, too. 

Shoot the gun you want to shoot. You’ll probably shoot better, and enjoy yourself more. 

Chukarman

If you are doing this for practice on field shooting then shoot your field gun by all means. You are completing with yourself, not the members on your squad.

When I started shooting game guns years ago, I sold all my target guns. It was simply self defeating to switch between a sub 6 lb. 16gauge and a nearly 9 lb. O/U. Beware the man with one gun.