FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
terrym

Targets with a field gun?

Auto-5

Not a big clays shooter here. Probably  the reason I don’t have any target guns . I generally shoot clays with my old fixed mod choked model 1100. Does fine for my expectations.

Huntschool

There is nothing wrong with shooting any of the clay games with a field gun......  Nothing.

Truth be told as was mentioned above, beware the man with one gun.  I would suggest that one keep the loads down so as to not develop a flinch which has also been mentioned and shoot from a low gun mount just like in the field.  Speed on some of the clay games will teach you how to hold your gun as you approach a point so that you will be more fluid in going to the target.  Eyes first then hands.....  slow to mount is fast to shoot......

I went to 24 gm loads several years ago in my clays guns and found them to be very comfortable (12 ga) and break targets very well at distances most might think unreasonable.  It does take a bit of searching and patterning to find the right choke but they do work.

Just some thoughts

PartridgeCartridge
11 minutes ago, Huntschool said:

There is nothing wrong with shooting any of the clay games with a field gun......  Nothing.

Truth be told as was mentioned above, beware the man with one gun.  I would suggest that one keep the loads down so as to not develop a flinch which has also been mentioned and shoot from a low gun mount just like in the field.  Speed on some of the clay games will teach you how to hold your gun as you approach a point so that you will be more fluid in going to the target.  Eyes first then hands.....  slow to mount is fast to shoot......

I went to 24 gm loads several years ago in my clays guns and found them to be very comfortable (12 ga) and break targets very well at distances most might think unreasonable.  It does take a bit of searching and patterning to find the right choke but they do work.

Just some thoughts

This ^^^

Hal Standish
On 12/29/2017 at 7:15 PM, Huntschool said:

Just some thoughts

24 gm loads are a winner for sure. Clays skeet, 16 yard trap singles and doubles, doves WC Grouse. Been reloading them for years. Very easy to fine tune shot size and speeds to fit the game your playing.

Huntschool
Just now, Hal Standish said:

24 gm loads are a winner for sure. Clays skeet, 16 yard trap singles and doubles, doves WC Grouse. Been reloading them for years. Very easy to fine tune shot size and speeds to fit the game your playing.

Lets remember the 24 gr load is what our Olympic folks shoot at Bunker and skeet....  I suspect that says something about their ability (shells and shooters) to kill a target.  For sporting I shoot stuff in the +1300 fps range.  For hunting I am down around 1200 and sometimes even get to 1150.

They work.....

dogrunner

Watch a interview with these to the other night Kim says 500-1000 rounds a day 7 days a week. 😉

13DE8C4E-F3FB-47CC-BEED-9DE2235C84AD.jpeg

Huntschool

I must be really out of the loop.....  When did Kim start shooting a Beretta ?????

dogrunner

Somewhere in the spring of 2013 I think. 

dogrunner
On 1/25/2018 at 11:43 AM, Hal Standish said:

I like these. Less punchy than the AA. 

7F685C9A-471F-4AD8-9A2D-47C6A888B4EC.jpeg

Hal Standish
13 hours ago, dogrunner said:

I like these. Less punchy than the AA. 

7F685C9A-471F-4AD8-9A2D-47C6A888B4EC.jpeg

Federals entry to the market was a fabulous load. Clone them on my MEC many times for many applications.

Flairball

I shot sporting on Saturday for the first time in a while. I shot my 20g Citori. My buddies both shot 12g Guerini guns with long barrels. I’ve never really considered the need for a dedicated SC gun, but I came across a good deal on a 12g Rizzini. Hmm..... Truth be told this was the last thing on my mind. I’ve been really wanting a straight stock, 30” 20g O/U. .....or a straight stock 28-30” 28g SxS. ........or,......nevermind, too many nice toys out there. 

16g? Hmm...

charlo slim
On 1/25/2018 at 9:47 AM, Huntschool said:

Lets remember the 24 gr load is what our Olympic folks shoot at Bunker and skeet....  I suspect that says something about their ability (shells and shooters) to kill a target.  For sporting I shoot stuff in the +1300 fps range.  For hunting I am down around 1200 and sometimes even get to 1150.

They work.....

Naive but earnest question here -- why would one choose to alter MV  at all, let alone by 150+ fps, between game and target?

Flairball
30 minutes ago, charlo slim said:

Naive but earnest question here -- why would one choose to alter MV  at all, let alone by 150+ fps, between game and target?

To sell more shells.

Huntschool
On 1/29/2018 at 7:52 AM, charlo slim said:

Because I want to....  There is a very old theory that the slower velocity loads open more quickly......  I know, that thought may well be counter to some explanation via a physics equation ( I hated physics any way) but then its my decision to make.  At my age (and yours) and the experience we both have had shooting various game and targets don't ya think we are entitled to "fool around" a bit.

Robert Stack told me, in a conversation a number of years ago at the Louise Mandrell shoot in Nashville, that all the California big boys wanted to shoot 1 1/4 oz of lead at ducks like at Clark Cables club.  Stack was a kid then and worked at the club to earn some bucks and do a bit of duck hunting.  Now, lets remember Mr. Stacks shooting ability......  he chose to shoot 1 1/18 oz loads of lead 5's I think he said and killed the hell out of ducks....  His words, while the big boys beat themselves to death. 

Everyone makes a choice.  Brister said almost the same thing.  Your gun your hunt your choice............

Slim, perhaps more to the point today, if you shoot steel  (12 ga 2 3/4") while you are waterfowl hunting you are likely shooting at or over 1300 fps.  Then you go on a pheasant or grouse or woodcock hunt with lead and are likely shooting 1200 fps or perhaps even less.

Just some thoughts

charlo slim
14 hours ago, Huntschool said:

Because I want to....  There is a very old theory that the slower velocity loads open more quickly......  I know, that thought may well be counter to some explanation via a physics equation ( I hated physics any way) but then its my decision to make.  At my age (and yours) and the experience we both have had shooting various game and targets don't ya think we are entitled to "fool around" a bit.

Robert Stack told me, in a conversation a number of years ago at the Louise Mandrell shoot in Nashville, that all the California big boys wanted to shoot 1 1/4 oz of lead at ducks like at Clark Cables club.  Stack was a kid then and worked at the club to earn some bucks and do a bit of duck hunting.  Now, lets remember Mr. Stacks shooting ability......  he chose to shoot 1 1/18 oz loads of lead 5's I think he said and killed the hell out of ducks....  His words, while the big boys beat themselves to death. 

Everyone makes a choice.  Brister said almost the same thing.  Your gun your hunt your choice............

Slim, perhaps more to the point today, if you shoot steel  (12 ga 2 3/4") while you are waterfowl hunting you are likely shooting at or over 1300 fps.  Then you go on a pheasant or grouse or woodcock hunt with lead and are likely shooting 1200 fps or perhaps even less.

Just some thoughts

Thanks for the response, HS, and I totally agree -- to each his or her own on such matters.  I'd personally be astonished to see a slow lead load open quicker than a significantly faster  one, all else being equal, but have never done any serious patterning to test my expectations.  Re - your comment about switching back and forth between relatively fast steel and slow lead, I just stay with steel in the 1300-1350 fps range and simply shift shot size (#7 -  #1) depending on game - bobwhites to large western Canada's.  Works very well for me. YMMV.