terrym

Yeti ?

DAG

I have a 45 Yeti and it is totally worth it.  It keeps ice for a week no problem and is built to last, my sons will inherit it one day

NECarson
4 hours ago, aje4 said:

rtic....not Eric

Hey, if Eric makes you happy, good for you two.

Treerooster

I got an RTIC, $134 shipped. Had to see what all the fuss was about with that style of cooler. No way I am paying what they ask for a Yeti of similar size. Aint gonna pay $40 for their bucket either. These guys are some kinda salesmen. Ya gotta give em that...eh?

The RTIC does keep ice longer but sure is a PITA to haul around or even move around on the ground. I do a LOT of camping, mostly in spring (turkey) and fall/winter. I also camp in Sept and it can be pretty hot then.

I will use the RTIC when its real hot but once the weather cools I go with my old Igloo coolers. Just so much easier to move the Igloos around and I get more food/game in the Igloos for the amount of space they take up.

studdog

It's 6 degrees here who needs a cooler?  I've got my garagerator.

NECarson
10 hours ago, Treerooster said:

I got an RTIC, $134 shipped. Had to see what all the fuss was about with that style of cooler. No way I am paying what they ask for a Yeti of similar size. Aint gonna pay $40 for their bucket either. These guys are some kinda salesmen. Ya gotta give em that...eh?

The RTIC does keep ice longer but sure is a PITA to haul around or even move around on the ground. I do a LOT of camping, mostly in spring (turkey) and fall/winter. I also camp in Sept and it can be pretty hot then.

I will use the RTIC when its real hot but once the weather cools I go with my old Igloo coolers. Just so much easier to move the Igloos around and I get more food/game in the Igloos for the amount of space they take up.

The bucket is pretty sweet. 

A solution in search of a problem for sure though! 

Jakeismydog2

We love our RTIC soft side coolers!

E.Young
On 12/9/2017 at 3:16 PM, NECarson said:

I've said this other places, probably other threads here... 

There's many options, and many reasons for choosing various options. 

But I despise the blatant ripoffs. They are part of what drives up the price of innovation. 

I presume you own an Engel, then, and not a Yeti. 

Engel was the first manufacturer of the roto-molded "high performance" cooler - Yeti only doubled the price and did a bang-up job on marketing. 

shoot-straight

i just bought the hat so i could look like one of the cool kids

apachecadillac

I bought the Engel, not the Yeti, on the recommendation of my son, who worked a stint early in his career in commercial logistics and said the Engel systems in refrigerated trucks were best in class.  That said, if you gave my wife the choice between the heavier Engel cooler with less interior space that keeps things cold longer and the Igloo with wheels that we also have, she'd go for the Igloo's greater capacity and easier moving every time.  And, as far as I know, you can talk 'innovation' all you want, the trade off is weight and capacity vs. how long things stay cold.  Forget price and marketing, that's a reality of physical science, not something somebody can write an app or tailor a gene therapy to fix.

garyRI
On 12/9/2017 at 3:16 PM, NECarson said:

But I despise the blatant ripoffs. They are part of what drives up the price of innovation. 

They discovered there is a market for a heavy duty cooler with heavy duty hinges/fixtures. I don't see any intellectual property in their product and I'm fine with other offering less expensive options. For my purposes Marine model Igloos are good enough.

topdog1961

I bought the big RTIC and the 20 quart when they had the great sale. I sold the big one for what I paid, it was just to big and heavy. Unless you were going to camp multiple days or spend a 3 day summer weekend at a drunken country music fest, I see no need for its cooling ability. I don't do either. We kept the smaller one but rarely use it because it to is heavy and is low capacity for its exterior size. If you're going to a one day picnic, ball game, whatever, the standard coolers are more convenient and work just fine. I venture 95% of Yeti coolers are not used for their designed purpose and only serve to make the owner look cool. 

Clueless1

I will say this, the Yeti guys are genius's.  To turn this into a 'need' for the many people that have bought them was no small task.  

NECarson
5 hours ago, E.Young said:

I presume you own an Engel, then, and not a Yeti. 

Engel was the first manufacturer of the roto-molded "high performance" cooler - Yeti only doubled the price and did a bang-up job on marketing. 

I bought a Yeti, because if possible I shop at locally owned businesses. 

NECarson
4 hours ago, garyRI said:

They discovered there is a market for a heavy duty cooler with heavy duty hinges/fixtures. I don't see any intellectual property in their product and I'm fine with other offering less expensive options. For my purposes Marine model Igloos are good enough.

A judge apparently saw some. 

NECarson

I'm not necessarily defending Yeti. There's a reason my original statement didn't mention them. 

There's a difference in copying an idea and copying a product.