2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
MAArcher

Cannabis for dogs and new food recommendation?

MAArcher

My dogs getting older, 12 now, and sometimes its hard to know whats up with her.  She has tumors around each nipple, and has trouble with her hips.  For the hips I started giving her Cosequin a week ago, no noticeable effects noted yet but directions say may take up to three weeks.   In the mean time, its hard to tell if she's uncomfortable or in pain, or just whining because she wan'ts food.  She is hyper food driven, an incredible mooch.  And she's gotten really picky now.  She won't eat her normal dog food (pro-plan performance), but put any table scraps down and she inhales them.  

So my wife's friend told her to get some cannabis drops at like $45 a bottle and that's supposed to take care of any pain or discomfort.  Has anyone heard of this?  My wife for some reason won't stop pestering me to look into it and get some, I think she's got it in her head that its some sort of miracle cure all.

Any suggestions for a food for old dogs?  I guess I'm no longer concerned with it being a performance food.  I just want her to feed her something she likes that's not too bad for her.  

dogrunner

I have read about it, I would think it might help, could be worth a try. Chech and Chong would probably use it. 

PartridgeCartridge

The pharma grade weed oil has no THC in it as far as I know. It is purely a therapeutic oil. They are using it a lot more for seizures in animals based on what I've read and been told.

Hey, try it. It probably can't do any harm. 12 is an old dog.

MAArcher
17 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

I have read about it, I would think it might help, could be worth a try. Chech and Chong would probably use it. 

Its over the counter, so I'm sure there's no THC in it, which is why I'm thinking its a scam.  If it was real cannabis with the THC, then I would assume it would work.  That actually reminds me, its legal in Massachusetts now so I could give her the real deal.  Does anyone know anything about giving a dog actual marijuana for medicinal purposes?

Don Steese

I have no advice to offer but I hope you're able to find something to make her last years comfortable. I'm sure she's earned it!  I love old dogs!!

One thing does come to mind however. Perhaps her sudden aversion to Pro Plan is a dental problem. I've heard of older dogs who would no longer eat hard kibble because of dental pain when they chew. Perhaps worth checking out??

DocE

PURE  CBD is legal in all 50 states.

Oral CBD is not well absorbed in canines (25% to 30%), but Topical CBD works well in dogs.

For dogs (and humans) you want pure CBD with no THC.

MAArcher
40 minutes ago, DocE said:

PURE  CBD is legal in all 50 states.

Oral CBD is not well absorbed in canines (25% to 30%), but Topical CBD works well in dogs.

For dogs (and humans) you want pure CBD with no THC.

Doc, elaborate.  What’s a cbd?

PartridgeCartridge
1 minute ago, MAArcher said:

Doc, elaborate.  What’s a cbd?

Just because it doesn't get you, or the dog, high, doesn't mean it is useless. It has to do with the receptors in the brain. There is therapeutic value.

Right Doc?

DocE

MAArcher ; CBD is the non-psychogenic portion of marijuana oil.

There are receptors in many places beside the brain.

Eye, thyroid, upper respiratory, heart, testicles, uterus, prostate and quite a few others.

There are receptors for CB1 and others for both CB1 and CB2.

sprocket

My Aunt & Uncle had a Shepard - they brought him in when he was 12 because of lack of interest in food, etc.  He did not have the medical issues you describe though, just lack of interest.

Vet said to change up his diet and give him "people food"  Leftovers, PB&J, french toast, ham & cheese - all kinds of stuff - dog was eating better than I did in college (not hard to do really) minus the beer.

Dog went back to normal and made it to 16...

dogrunner
4 minutes ago, sprocket said:

My Aunt & Uncle had a Shepard - they brought him in when he was 12 because of lack of interest in food, etc.  He did not have the medical issues you describe though, just lack of interest.

Vet said to change up his diet and give him "people food"  Leftovers, PB&J, french toast, ham & cheese - all kinds of stuff - dog was eating better than I did in college (not hard to do really) minus the beer.

Dog went back to normal and made it to 16...

Wow that dog sure tricked  them. :D

sprocket

Seriously - we were leaving to go to lunch and my uncle hits the stove and makes scrambled eggs & dry toast for him before we head out the door!  The lobster rolls were worth the wait.

MAArcher
On 12/10/2017 at 11:04 AM, DocE said:

MAArcher ; CBD is the non-psychogenic portion of marijuana oil.

There are receptors in many places beside the brain.

Eye, thyroid, upper respiratory, heart, testicles, uterus, prostate and quite a few others.

There are receptors for CB1 and others for both CB1 and CB2.

Could you recommend a product and where to get it?

Thanks

DocE

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

"Green Roads" is the best one that I've come across.