greg jacobs

The 10%

greg jacobs

The sons jokingly will say, to each other, "the 10%" when they harvest an elk. 

They have heard that 10% of the hunters harvest 90% of the elk

They put a lot of hard work into bow hunting for elk. Both during the year with all of their prep work, shooting, studying, staying in great shape, and during hunting season with long days and many boot miles. They might have earned that 10% title.

IMG957534.jpg

IMG951061.jpg

I know I'm a proud dad, with how all of my kids have turned out.

Clueless1

You should be proud.  Thanks for these pictures.  They look like fine young men and this post reminds me that although we generally only hear about the dregs of the younger generation there are many that go about life the right way.

dogrunner

Nice, looks like some good eating. 

greg jacobs

Yeah they always split the meat, and even throw me a few scraps. :D

UplandHntr

Very very cool! What state?

greg jacobs

Washington. Anywhere from 5 to 50 miles from the house. Can't beat close to home

polecat

Pretty awesome. I can probably put that on the list of things I may never do.

GB Jack

Congrats to them!! That’s a great animal

, however I don’t believe the 10% haverst 90%. I guess if you include many trophy hunters , and people who are extremely selective , that number may be closer to 20%? None The less that’s a great animal

woth a bow and you and them should be both ecstataic 

greg jacobs

I shoot with them a lot. They say I'm good enough inside of 60yds. They think I should let the rifle sit and go with them.

At 61 is crossfit out of the question.:/ Cause up in the chukar hills those guys can put a serious hurt on me.

We'll see. It's nice they want me to come along though.

dogrunner

I think you should be there just for the memories. My dad is 77, hunts with me  90% of the time. If he don't feel like going sometimes he stays in the truck and picks me up down the road. He has seen me shoot many birds while sitting in a warm truck, other times he has seen more birds from the truck than I did on my walk. :o   I want him with me as long as possible. 

Treerooster

I believe in the 10%, 90% thing if you throw in the word consistently. Don't matter what the percentage is tho. To consistently take elk with a bow takes skill and dedication. Congrats to your son's.

At 61 you don't need to CrossFit train...you need to have your sons do the packing out. :)

Scrappy

Congratulations to your sons!  You should keep going with them as long as you can.  At 75 my dad still goes deer hunting with me every year.

Are those Roosevelts?

greg jacobs

We are east of the cascades with Rocky Mountain elk. Roosevelt are west of the cascades

PartridgeCartridge

Are Roosevelt tags hard to get?

greg jacobs

Archery tags are generally  spike and cow and don't specify between the two. Big bull tags are draw tags where you are picking units and weapon. Don't know any people here on the east side that goes over and hunts the west side. Just curious, why the interest in Roosevelt elk, guess most here on the east side don't think about it much. A little bigger but smaller racks. Hunting in the swamps and thick brush and trees in the rain gear doesn't have much draw to us desert dwellers.