• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
dogrunner

First ice.

TimJ
1 hour ago, mccuha said:

Call this a stupid question from a southern boy that doesn’t know ?  I was in Kansas and saw a guy fishing on a frozen lake.  I wouldn’t walk out there.  How do you know when it’s safe to go out on ice and be able to stay out and fish.  

The first time out you test as you go. I have always waited until about 5 inches to walk on. 3 or 4 is safe to walk on but ice varies some and 2 would be pushing it. I like to check near shore and then every 20 to 30 yards or if the ice changes how it looks. I also don't like to be the first one out on a lake.

In over 40 years of going on the ice I've only seen one truck and one person break through. The truck was right by shore and was easily pulled out. The person was stupid and walked next to bridge pilings. Never do that. He got out fine with a little help from his buddy. Nobody else was rushing over to help because it looked very sketchy and they warned them to stay away from there.

Tim

dogrunner
10 hours ago, mccuha said:

Call this a stupid question from a southern boy that doesn’t know ?  I was in Kansas and saw a guy fishing on a frozen lake.  I wouldn’t walk out there.  How do you know when it’s safe to go out on ice and be able to stay out and fish.  

Depends on the body of water, current, depth, does it have snow on it. I have fished on 2.5" of ice but the depth was only 2' to 4' and I only was 120 pounds, plus it was hard ice, no snow. Also it was locked up in backwaters with no current.  If you carry a spud guys will hit it out in front of them to test it. I'm not that desperate for a fish. Guys every year go through or get stranded on ice flows in Lk St Clair. If they need rescue on a flow all there equipment stays there, on a lake like that because its not land locked, a offshore wind is your enemy. 

dogrunner
9 hours ago, rudyc said:

47 degrees, sunny and calm winds, oh yeah, the 'gills and sunnies were on fire as well. Tough to beat a day like today in January.

FD9yJD3.jpg

Nice catch they look Delicious. 

mccuha

I noticed the lakes were iced completely and even on the days above freezing they didn’t look like they had melted any.  Ponds on the other hand would freeze over but once it warmed they looked like they were thawing out.  Is this common with ponds.  

UplandHntr

Released 

2C7A13DB-C913-4ECC-A2D2-12DC958E43E1.jpeg

Okhotnik
1 hour ago, UplandHntr said:

Released 

2C7A13DB-C913-4ECC-A2D2-12DC958E43E1.jpeg

tip up and shiner?

UplandHntr

7” sucker

FB9452AC-0D43-4519-B2B9-8CBB8543C109.jpeg

7D90098C-B7F2-4165-8E98-8EE9AF19388C.jpeg

2CF7C6A7-C628-4EC5-9850-17F374E2C1CE.jpeg

UplandHntr

7” hole

2E0D41CC-0CAB-481D-BF2D-46AFCE077CA9.jpeg

dogrunner

Caught 2 different monster bass yesterday almost took all the line from my Schooley reel but I landed both. Also a nice gill. That gill is the same one look at the color change after being out of the water for 15 minutes. 

9764D779-3C55-4BA8-A33D-CA9DDAF7AB2E.jpeg

4EFC4F45-E863-4ACD-B7A7-75DAF2CB6176.jpeg

CEC0CAD8-665E-4B00-B826-B5FA876F10DE.jpeg

5475502A-6052-4BC9-8FA0-30E6EB8673DA.jpeg

96BAEC46-DCD3-4C81-82A8-FF8BA66FADE1.jpeg

763F6413-9822-45D2-BF84-C478133CDFB2.jpeg

09BE449C-5877-4340-A63B-E3F739C51E26.jpeg

dogrunner

Then had a fish fry. Salmon, bluegills and a rainbow trout. 

F4BBDCBD-1517-4A51-9BAF-91BC3C0CCD1C.jpeg

dogrunner
On 1/21/2018 at 10:55 AM, mccuha said:

I noticed the lakes were iced completely and even on the days above freezing they didn’t look like they had melted any.  Ponds on the other hand would freeze over but once it warmed they looked like they were thawing out.  Is this common with ponds.  

Probably but just because it’s above freezing they don’t always melt. On Saturday I fished it was about 42 and partly sunny but the ice was not melting. Overnight it didn’t drop below 31 and by the time I fished yesterday at 11am it was 38. My holes from the day before had over a 1/2 of new hard ice which I was surprised to see with the warm temps. Today it was close to 47 and we got .6 rain the pond was still solid I am standing on it for the pics but what happens is the edges start melting first. Anything that has vegetation, rocks or other things in the ice get soft in that area. I have seen guys use plywood or long planks to get out on the harder ice just to fish, I’m not that desperate for a few filets. There are a lot of small ponds near me but for some reason mine will hold ice at least a week longer than most, I don’t really know why. 

D122860F-D671-4593-AF7A-5219607F1250.jpeg

5CE72A7A-EF37-46A8-8256-B16C49109EFB.jpeg

mccuha

Thanks for the info.  I have never experienced ice thick enough to walk out and fish on.  It was giving me the hebbie jebbies seeing that guy walk around on that frozen lake with the temps in the mid 40’s

dogrunner
On 1/22/2018 at 7:31 PM, mccuha said:

Thanks for the info.  I have never experienced ice thick enough to walk out and fish on.  It was giving me the hebbie jebbies seeing that guy walk around on that frozen lake with the temps in the mid 40’s

Here’s what happens to ice fisherman that are risking there life for a few filets. 

6B50404B-F72C-483B-B0D4-69FAEE09A45A.jpeg

mccuha
3 hours ago, dogrunner said:

Here’s what happens to ice fisherman that are risking there life for a few filets. 

6B50404B-F72C-483B-B0D4-69FAEE09A45A.jpeg

That’s one thing for sure gives me the creeps going on ice. We just never see it that thick usually to be able to walk on. Every once in a while it will get thick enough but I wouldn’t around here go and put a hole in it and fish. I would like to one day go up north and experience ice fishing from what I’ve seen it’s lkie the hunting to me. The comroddery

dogrunner
22 hours ago, mccuha said:

That’s one thing for sure gives me the creeps going on ice. We just never see it that thick usually to be able to walk on. Every once in a while it will get thick enough but I wouldn’t around here go and put a hole in it and fish. I would like to one day go up north and experience ice fishing from what I’ve seen it’s lkie the hunting to me. The comroddery

Being where you are have you ever seen anyone out on the ice?  If you were cold enough long enough with no snow and got 3" of hard ice in a land locked lake with no current, you could probably fish in shallow water. You don't have to be deep to catch fish, especially at the beginning of new ice. I have caught fish in 2' of water at the start, as winter wears on they move deeper for more oxygen.